MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-06-2012   #1
spoolin d dub

Drives: 1990 eagle talon tsi awd
My TRE trans

When trans was first put in the car everyone thought the trans was broke due to how hard it was to shift the newly shot peened gears. Not taking the advise of others I drove exactly the way Jon advised to brake the trans in and i did so just over 1.5K miles and it felt like a totally different trans! It now has 3k+ miles on it so while getting the motor done I sent trans To TRE to get welded diff and replaced any worn parts. Trans has been in the car since 08/2010 so I figured something would need to be replaced. When I drive this car I drive very hard and put lots of highway miles/pulls, driving to cruises/shows and meets etc and it has about 10-11 track passes on it. After Jon went thru it the very first thing he said was... WHAT KIND OF TRANS FLUID DID YOU USE? I thought to myself. Dang, I knew it! Its always something smh. I tell him AMSOIL 75W-90. He says, THIS TRANS ALMOST LOOKS BRAND NEW. Did you really drive this car the way you say you did? Everything is in great shape down to the bearings, and ripgrip insert. I was expecting the worse. What a way to be disappointed !

4th gear output shaft

TRE Billet 4th gear

3rd & 4th gear syncros look to have lots of life on them.

1st gear has some micro pitting on the pitch circle. This is typically due
the gearset being overloaded. But wear is not bad at all.

2nd gear engagement teeth on the sleeve appear fine.

The intermediate shaft appears fine, no abnormal wear.

Also have to give props to best clutch I know of courtesy of Tim Zimmer. Quarter Master GEAR-DRIVE Rally 7.25" V-Drive Twin Disk Clutch. With only slight wear disk it is still in great shape and ready to go back in car.

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-07-2012 at 07:40 AM..
spoolin d dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #2
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: My TRE trans

If you are on the link forums you should post this in the driveline fluid thread there.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #3
spoolin d dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
If you are on the link forums you should post this in the driveline fluid thread there.
I'm not on link forum. It wasn't my idea to take pics either. Jon was so shocked he wanted to send me pics. I just suggested he explain the condition in the pic so I could post them. He also advised me to keep on running AMSOIL trans fluid.
Old 08-07-2012   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Seriously? That Amsoil fluid is pure crap, it doesn't shift for shit. I have tried it twice, once before my tranny was rebuilt and once after. I will never touch it again, Royal Purple, Redline and Neo are all much better. I only use the Neo now. How much wear would you expect the trans to have after only 3k miles and only 11 track passes??

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #5
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

I have used that same AMSOIL tranny fluid in my DSM trannies as well as my shep stage 4 I had and it shifted and drove perfect all of the time. I have never had a trans drive like crap with that fluid. I have told others to run it but everyone else sticks to what people have been running in the past.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #6
CornFed2.4

Drives: You crazy!
Send a message via AIM to CornFed2.4

Your also an Amsoil dealer. I wouldnt expect you to say anything different.

I was told to run syncromesh by shep. That was almost 10 yrs ago now. Shifted good but that was pretty much a stock car. I'd say redline fluids all the way.

Last edited by CornFed2.4; 08-07-2012 at 09:53 AM..
CornFed2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #7
spoolin d dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Seriously? That Amsoil fluid is pure crap, it doesn't shift for shit. I have tried it twice, once before my tranny was rebuilt and once after. I will never touch it again, Royal Purple, Redline and Neo are all much better. I only use the Neo now. How much wear would you expect the trans to have after only 3k miles and only 11 track passes??
Its funny you say AMSoil is no good. Devin before boostin performance was tuning my car one day and he asked 1 question. who built the trans? it feels so good. He thought it was a shep trans. He was way off. My boy built the trans. What was in it the trans? It was a Stock 1990 trans with just bronze syncros and Amsoil 75W-90. I put in well over 7K+ miles in less than 1 yr on that trans. I'll put into to perspective of how I drive vs a regular DSMer! Here is how it was in 2011. My schedule is busy so while I didn't have time to drive the car it got upgrades. I don't drive my car alot. As in amount of days. But when I have the time to drive her I be so happy.... I DRIVE HER! I LOVE MY CAR!! I don't understand how most DSMers don't do anything or go nowhere when they can. I don't just be driving 1hr but hours and hours at a time like 2 to 5hrs in one day! Usually within 40 mile distances. On highway having fun, to meets, cruises! Some days putting 400-500+miles in a surrounding area. That 3K+ is actually just a few hundred miles under 5K adding in tuning etc. So trans was put in the car in late 2010 but it's really only been within like a of 4 month total period of hard hard driving. Then the 11 passes come into play. a few at 124mph but most of them at 132mph or over.

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-07-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-07-2012   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Blizz and Nash both drove my car and it stifted like crap with the amsoil in. I put royal purple in and it shifter great. I only had the royal purple in until I got my Neo in because nobody stocked it local. This was also about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe they have changed it since then but it is doubtful. My car was making similar power to yours at the time. The fluid was so bad that it would barely shift if over 4k rpm, even going slow.

Old 08-07-2012   #9
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

11 passes? How much can you mess up a tranny with that little amount? I've done and seen more passes in a single day than that. I'm not saying amsoil is no good but you need a bit more evidence than just a few passes and a couple thousand miles... Stock fluid recommends being changed every like 50k+? Just saying...

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #10
spoolin d dub

Quote:
Blizz and Nash both drove my car and it stifted like crap with the amsoil in. I put royal purple in and it shifter great. I only had the royal purple in until I got my Neo in because nobody stocked it local. This was also about 6 or 7 years ago, maybe they have changed it since then but it is doubtful. My car was making similar power to yours at the time. The fluid was so bad that it would barely shift if over 4k rpm, even going slow.
6-7 yrs ago? It doesn't matter what you thought then. The question is do you know now? I don't want to hear about what you thought about the oil from 7yrs ago. you couldn't shift past 4k? I shifted past 9K Easily! As a matter of fact I honestly feel my trans shifts better at 6K and above then it does at 1k! I'm stating recent facts with pictures to show proof.

Plus this not about no oil. This about the trans!

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-07-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Old 08-07-2012   #11
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

There are 2 kinda of normal Amsoil trans fluid, MTG and Severe Gear, then they also have their Syncromesh version. The BG, Pennzoil, etc Syncromesh will make anything shift nicer, but I am not sure it offers much gear protection on high HP cars or track cars.
Old 08-07-2012   #12
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin d dub View Post
6-7 yrs ago? It doesn't matter what you thought then. The question is do you know now? I don't want to hear about what you thought about the oil from 7yrs ago. you couldn't shift past 4k? I shifted past 9K Easily! As a matter of fact I honestly feel my trans shifts better at 6K and above then it does at 1k! I'm stating recent facts with pictures to show proof.

Plus this not about no oil. This about the trans!
Proof of what? That your tranny didn't explode in 3k miles? Wow, there is a killer endorsement for a product. How about those grooves on the top bearing in the top picture? Doesn't look anywhere new to me. I have no idea why you think you are harder on your stuff than others either. Plenty go to the track more than you and are running much higher HP.

And what are you trying to say about the trans, that it was sent in and looks good after 3k miles and only 11 passes? You were crediting that to the awesomesauce fluid, which is why this conversation has been about fluid.

As for Shane, I am pretty sure I was running the severe gear.

Old 08-07-2012   #13
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

I tried the Amsoil gear oil many years back, it was much notchier than other fluids. However, the condition of the tranny wasn't great, so that likely had something to do with it.

Regarding their oil, I've personally taken apart many motors, the cleanest most non-worn motors and bearings I've seen have all run Amsoil. Drastically different than all other motors I've taken apart.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #14
spoolin d dub

Quote:
Proof of what? That your tranny didn't explode in 3k miles? Wow, there is a killer endorsement for a product. How about those grooves on the top bearing in the top picture? Doesn't look anywhere new to me. I have no idea why you think you are harder on your stuff than others either. Plenty go to the track more than you and are running much higher HP.

And what are you trying to say about the trans, that it was sent in and looks good after 3k miles and only 11 passes? You were crediting that to the awesomesauce fluid, which is why this conversation has been about fluid.

As for Shane, I am pretty sure I was running the severe gear.
The miles were 5k in a 4 month period. Well 4800+K right at 4 months. One thing is certain. I know me not being able to shift past 4K has nothing to do with my trans fluid!

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-07-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Old 08-08-2012   #15
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
There are 2 kinda of normal Amsoil trans fluid, MTG and Severe Gear, then they also have their Syncromesh version. The BG, Pennzoil, etc Syncromesh will make anything shift nicer, but I am not sure it offers much gear protection on high HP cars or track cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolin d dub View Post
The miles were 5k in a 4 month period. Well 4800+K right at 4 months. One thing is certain. I know me not being able to shift past 4K has nothing to do with my trans fluid!
Please, for the sake of saving this thread, please tell us the exact trans fluid you were using (MTG, severe gear, syncromesh). I haven't seen the exact specs yet, that will help a lot. I do like the amsoil stuff just please be specific.

BTW congrats on your tranny being in good shape, always good to hear where most people's have gone to shit.

Last edited by asshanson; 08-08-2012 at 01:24 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #16
spoolin d dub

I run Amsoil 75W-90 (MTG). For some reason when I drove 97% of the time someone always wanted to try and test me. So I shifted to 9K on a very regular basis. With the new setup I plan to go to 9.5k with a rev limiter of maybe 10k.

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-11-2012 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-08-2012   #17
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

I ran that. I never had any problem with NLTS or shifting at any rpm. I guess in some trans it works and others it must not.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012   #18
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

You want the MTG or a mix of MTG and their Syncromesh in a DSM or Evo 8/9 trans, not the Severe Gear.
Old 08-11-2012   #19
spoolin d dub

There is no need to run Syncromesh unless your trans is already in bad condition OR POORLY BUILT! It's that simple. Due to the oil I ran (Amsoil MTG) my stage 4 trans and my last stock trans both were in great shape. But the trans fluid was not the reason why the trans felt so good. I'll admit with Syncromesh it would shift even faster but like Shane@DBPerformance stated as did TRE http://www.teamrip.com/manual_transm...tion_info.html it will not protect the gearing. But if you have bad syncros etc it will be a band-aid to the problem. Its like having a girl that looks like a damn horse... till she puts makeup on. The truth is under all that paint the bitch is still ugly. My point. You can mask the problem but it still exist. AMS did that years ago to my first trans. Shifts were notchy so they put in Syncromesh to make it shift a lil better. This trans is different. It shifts awesome at any rpm especially to 9.5K. That is how it was built so I don't need a fluid to make it shift faster. I just need it to maintain it.

Last edited by spoolin d dub; 08-13-2012 at 03:14 AM..