MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Good Guy / Bad Guy feedback

Old 06-18-2009   #61
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

Drives: Cyborg from Japan
Re: Dear twack and albert lea mike and all primo members please post!

I take care of mine. And they have taken care of me.
I check all the fluids and do a quick visual inspection before I drive the car everyday. It just makes me feel better. If I go a couple days without looking under the hood. It doesn't feel right driving it..
Old 06-18-2009   #62
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar View Post
I wouldn't say that yet. Some have come to believe that even if you take care of them, they still won't take care of you.
I may be a lucky one...but the Galant is still doing EXTREMELY well. To my suprise, I dont have major issues as a DD. I'm supposed to have at least 10+ things wrong with my car but it's nothing major to not drive it. pheeww.
Old 06-18-2009   #63
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

I've daily'd 4 dsm's. Not one has given me any trouble. You just gotta really care for them. Like a child, haha.
Old 06-18-2009   #64
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

have have d.d. a mitsu since 99. that is all I own that is newer. I always have at least 2 out of the 5 working all the time as d.d.'s for the wife and I
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #65
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4g63tcrazy View Post
I check all the fluids and do a quick visual inspection before I drive the car everyday. It just makes me feel better. If I go a couple days without looking under the hood. It doesn't feel right driving it..
Not my idea of a good DD. I would rather not worry about it at all. I am more or less talking about modding them. Can do things the "right way" and still end up with plenty of problems. I didn't have a problem using a dsm for a dd as long as it had a 20g or smaller. I have a new civic and would rather have my fun car seperate from the car I drive daily. I know it is not possible for everyone to have a seperate dd though.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #66
4g63tcrazy
is Nashty

I just do it so I know for sure cause I'm just like that. I'm not saying everytime I pop the hood I see something wrong and need to fix it before I drive the car. It's just my preference. My car is also pretty modified and I have no worries what so ever.
Old 06-19-2009   #67
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

They require a lot of attention typically. Whether or not that is something you want to deal with as a DD is up to you. TO some it's fine. Others want a DD they don't have to do anything except pop off the gas cap once a week.

THey are fun, but they're old, and things just go bad on old cars.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #68
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
They require a lot of attention typically. Whether or not that is something you want to deal with as a DD is up to you. TO some it's fine. Others want a DD they don't have to do anything except pop off the gas cap once a week.

They are fun, but they're old, and things just go bad on old cars.

You said it just about perfect. After DDing my Talon for 6 months, I went out and bought my WRX for a car I would only have to worry about putting gas in. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #69
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

I think this guys situation is somewhere in between "tampered with by an idiot" and "just an old car with issues". It definitely was a shady deal either way.

Regardless, people who say old cars will need things fixed are right. I bought a cheap talon, like yourself, a while back. And while the issues it had weren't nearly as bad as yours, I've still spent PLENTY of time and money fixing small things and fixing other things preventatively (such as doing and redoing the timing belt multiple times). It is true these cars are getting really old, and there's just a slew of things that can and will go bad at any moment due to wear and tear on an old car.

Best of luck getting things fixed. You definitely should ask for help around here, there are some VERY knowledgeable folk who can help... though sometimes responses are slim. Feel free to PM me as well, i've been going through and fixing lots of 'old talon' problems so I might be of use.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #70
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

This whole thing is why I'm done with DSM's. Some people expect a $1000-$3000 DSM to have all maintenance up to date, new tires, brakes and 170psi of compression in all cylinders. When you buy a fairly popular car at this price range, you better expect that you're going to need to do some work to it to make it reliable. And you immediately baby it home and go through everything and check things like boost levels and tuning, slowly. Doing something crooked like crimping off rear brake lines is totally different, but a lot of that stuff (bald tires, etc.) should be pretty obvious when looking at a car. Welcome to the world of cheap ass junk!
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #71
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
This whole thing is why I'm done with DSM's. Some people expect a $1000-$3000 DSM to have all maintenance up to date, new tires, brakes and 170psi of compression in all cylinders. When you buy a fairly popular car at this price range, you better expect that you're going to need to do some work to it to make it reliable. And you immediately baby it home and go through everything and check things like boost levels and tuning, slowly. Doing something crooked like crimping off rear brake lines is totally different, but a lot of that stuff (bald tires, etc.) should be pretty obvious when looking at a car. Welcome to the world of cheap ass junk!
hahah...so true. And that is why there are MANY hondas on the street. My honda friends still ask me how my car runs...my answer: "reliable, no leaks, and good gas mileage! ." i got lucky on this one though.
Old 06-22-2009   #72
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:

Exactly why I hae driven my car 7,000 miles in 2.5 years of owning it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #73
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

It may take a while but Steve knows what is going on. I loved these cars in the past but I don't care to own one anymore. Spent too many late nights in the garage trying to get it back together and other times watching it sit.

The car will make you a mechanic if you stick with it. I learned alot about cars from owning a dsm but reliability is now of higher importance.
Old 06-25-2009   #74
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

It's not even so much of fixing it because mine has always been pretty reliable, but little things like tuning and a bad idle make me a little sick of it. Plus, like John I'm ready to move to the next level, something a little more rare and exotic than a DSM.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #75
BLaCk_1cE

Drives: TB IX SE

Quote:
Plus, like John I'm ready to move to the next level, something a little more rare and exotic than a DSM.
Let me be the first to say, whatever you have up your sleeve, i get a ride.
BLaCk_1cE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #76
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Quote:
It's not even so much of fixing it because mine has always been pretty reliable, but little things like tuning and a bad idle make me a little sick of it. Plus, like John I'm ready to move to the next level, something a little more rare and exotic than a DSM.
a Galant VR4 is rare.... but it could be exotic. do exotic strippers count if they're in the car??
Old 06-29-2009   #77
Constant_Project21

Drives: E36

I've dealt with having a car have it's fair share of issues within the first couple days. Actually first couple minutes/miles. A ~$2k shouldn't be mint, yet it shouldn't be a complete shit bag. I got my first maroon 1g a total of 20 miles, before timing skipped, and destroyed the motor..yea Steve maintence is key, made me laugh a bit inside to read that. Some cars you just don't know until it comes and bites you straight in the ass. Shouldn't be where you have to take the car apart to find out that the person before you decided that they will toss it together and get rid of it. When bolts are less than hand tight, fluids are not topped off, or filled at all, and you find yourself ready to roll it out on the street and light the sum bitch on fire, you feel pretty ripped off/cheated. Feel ya on this one nick, but it seems to happen too often, and shouldn't be the case.
Constant_Project21 is offline   Reply With Quote