MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 02-18-2005   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question 1g head on a 2g engine swap

Ok, so i'm looking to get a 1g head and I'm researching what i'll all need to make this work. The CAS is what concerns me. Will my '99 CAS bolt onto the 1g head without any mods to it including wiring. I went to RRE's website and it made me more confused. Read this from their site. The first sentence they say the 97-up sensor will fit without modification. But if you're putting your 2g 97-up sensor on that came with the car, why would you have to modify the connector that is the stock 2g one. I don't follow....????? Thanks

From RRE's website...

There are two ways to deal with mounting the cam angle sensor when swapping to a 1G head.

The 97-up style cam angle sensor will bolt to the 1G head without any modification. The wire connector is different so you will need to make a connector for it or get one from a wrecking yard to plug in the wires. The main difference in the sensor is that it gives an opposite pulse from what the 95-96 sensor does. There are two ways to deal with it. (This also applies to swapping a 95-96 ECU with a 97-up ECU)
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #2
Onefast99gsx

Re: 1g head on a 2g engine swap

My title is kind of confusing, it's not a 2g engine swap.... I just mean putting a 1g head onto my 2g engine('99).
Old 02-18-2005   #3
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

There should be a VFAQ on it. Or other literature on how to do it on the internet. I know my roomate Nash did it on his old GST and from what he said it was kind of a bitch but not that terrible, maybe he can let you know what you are looking forward to . If you know exactly what you are going to need from a 1G though it shouldn't be that bad.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
From RRE's website...

There are two ways to deal with mounting the cam angle sensor when swapping to a 1G head.

The 97-up style cam angle sensor will bolt to the 1G head without any modification. The wire connector is different so you will need to make a connector for it or get one from a wrecking yard to plug in the wires. The main difference in the sensor is that it gives an opposite pulse from what the 95-96 sensor does. There are two ways to deal with it. (This also applies to swapping a 95-96 ECU with a 97-up ECU)

All this stuff is for 95-96 guys, they have a different kind of CAS setup that doesn't bolt right onto a 1G head. The 97-99 CAS setup bolts right up to a 1G head and since you already have a 99 CAS on your car, you don't have to worry about wiring one in, like on a 95-96. I run my stock 99 CAS and wiring on my car with a 1G head.
Old 02-18-2005   #5
Onefast99gsx

Ecoli- Excellent, that's exactly the statement i was looking to read. RRE's how to is nice but that first statement was confusing. Perhaps they should of put that '97-up statement on a line by itself instead of with the '95-96 stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2005   #6
Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Wizard Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard

Biggest thing to remember there is that the 97+ cam sensor is attached to the intake cam from a bolt that threads into it. Whereas, a 1g intake cams have a notched end the meshes with the cam sensor. This won't matter to you right now, but will be useful when you are considering a cam change, or if you decide to use a 1g sensor (they are adjustable) and/or cams (1g cams are a bit more aggressive).

Wiz
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #7
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I asked this in the other thread, but why would you use the 1g Head, i have always been told that the 2g head is better.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005   #8
Onefast99gsx

Thanks for that addition as well. Yes before it goes back on the road in may, it will have HKS cams so i know i will have to tap the intake cam if it's not already.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005   #9
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight

I will post up some of the parts later. I am at work now. One of the more fun parts about the swap is the 6 bolt water line and thermostat housing. I cannot remember to much right now. It has been a long day.
Old 02-18-2005   #10
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
I asked this in the other thread, but why would you use the 1g Head, i have always been told that the 2g head is better.
With proper porting.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005   #11
john
Business as usual

Some parts I used in the swap were: *=needed
90 cas
1g coil
1g water line *
1g thermostat housing *
1g intake manifold (not worth without)
1g TB (not worth without)
oil blockoff plug off old 2g head (1g turbo feed line) *
1g head (duh) *
1g spark plug wires (longer)

-I needed to make a harness to adapt the 90 cas to the 2g crank and 2g cam sensor
-I had to extend the wires for the coil (relocate 2g or use 1g on mani)
-extend the wires for the power transistor (relocated to firewall)

I am not sure how you would address the cams from reading above. If they bolt on, you would either need to get a 1g cas or use your2g cams. Supposedly 1g cams are a bit better. The parts above were used in the swap. Not all are needed but it seemed the esiest for me that way. I had them and it made it a bit easier. They are not needed though. I probly have extra of each if you need any though. I will let you know if I think of anything else.
Old 02-19-2005   #12
Nash

You don't need a 90 CAS, the one from the 99 will work just fine. You will just need to get the intake cam taped so you can use the 99 CAS. The water line and thermostat housing needs to come from a 91-94. You do not need to use a 1G coil pack, a 2G one will work just fine, you will just have to figure out a way to mount it. You will also need to use 1G radiator house, I can't remember which one. You will need to cut the shifter counter weight off. I can't remember if there is anything else you need to do. If there is I will make sure to post it up.
Old 02-19-2005   #13
john
Business as usual

I have been told it is the 1g lower radiator hose that you need. I used the 90 cas (91-4 would be the same deal) so I could get rid of the 2g sensors which were possibly bad.
Old 02-19-2005   #14
Nash

A 90 CAS is different then a 91-94 CAS, get your facts straight before you post.
Old 02-19-2005   #15
Wizard

The only thing different is the harness. Internally they are basically the same. 90s, or 91-92 GVR4s, or Hyundai's use a pigtail that attaches at the firewall. 91-92 use a connector right at the sensor (just find the harness end and you can use it). 93-94 use a slightly different pick-up inside the sensor (hall-effect vs. optical) but use the same harness. They will ALL interchange. The big reason for switching to a 1g sensor is the fact that you can combine all the sensors into one package, and have the ability to adjust your base timing.

Wiz
Old 02-20-2005   #16
john
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
A 90 CAS is different then a 91-94 CAS, get your facts straight before you post.
Uhhh, no shit. If I thought they were the same wouldn't I have put 90-94 instead of having two different categories??? I had 2 90s last year. The 90s have a different connector and a bundle of wire. I wrote "the same deal" as it would be the same as far as wiring goes. I like to use the 90s as the pigtail runs almost all the way to the fpr where it is needed to be. I had the other connector off the wiring harness that connects to the 90 cas and I cut the connectors off the old 2g cam and crank sensors to make a snap in piece. Magnus has the wiring diagram if you want to check it out. Not a big deal at all.
Old 02-20-2005   #17
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Why not just use the one from the 99 and not have to mess with any wiring? Doesn't that make more sense? Get aftermarket cams for a 2g or use the stock 2g ones. Why hack up your wiring harness when you don't have to?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005   #18
Wizard

99 (or 97-99) use a Cam Position Sensor in the same location as the 1g's. However, it is still not adjustable and is still ONLY a single sensor. Meaning you still have to worry about that fragile plastic POS sensor down at the crank.

Wiz
Old 02-20-2005   #19
john
Business as usual

If you go with a 1g head, you should swap to a 1g intake manifold. If you swap to a 1g intake manifold, you have to mess with the wiring a bit anyhow. You have to extend the wires for the coil and the power transistor. In my case, the car had a bad CAS so it was an easy decision to swap to a 1g cas. Other than extending the wires above, I did not do anything else regarding "hacking" the wiring. I made a snap in connector to adapt the 1g cas to the 2 sensors.
Old 02-20-2005   #20
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard
99 (or 97-99) use a Cam Position Sensor in the same location as the 1g's. However, it is still not adjustable and is still ONLY a single sensor. Meaning you still have to worry about that fragile plastic POS sensor down at the crank.
Well, if anything is messed up enough down by the crank to break the plastic crank sensor, they you probably don't want the motor running anyways. Crank mounted sensors are also more accurate than ones mounted on a cam for ignition timing.