MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2015   #1
talonsway

Drives: 1995 eagle talon TSI
Over Boosting? Need some help guys

Started out with a manual boost controller that came on the car, pretty sure its a ebay brand and a Bleeder style. Threw that in the trash and started over.

Got a Halman boost controller. Taped the compressor housing on my 16g, ran that to the bottom port then the side port on the boost controller to the wastegate.

The problem that i am seeing with both boost controllers is that the boost will keep going up all the way to 30 pounds ( Max psi my gauge reads ). Its dependent on throttle, so if i hold it at half throttle or so it will hold 15 pounds then if i go to the floor it will just boost to 30 or what ever. It wont hold a certain boost, it will fluctuate with the throttle.

With that said i was curious of the wastegate spring, The previous owner did a bunch of stuff wrong and so i thought i would start there. Hooked a vacuum line to the waste gate port. Hooked a regulator on a air hose and slowly gave the waste gate some air to see when the arm would move. Started moving around that 10-12 pounds of air.

So then with my Halman boost controller, i left the side port that goes down to the waste gate port connected, took off the line that went to my compressor housing but left it attached to the boost controller side, put my air compressor onto that line to act as the boost source. I then spun the controller all the way out so i should go off the waste gate spring (10-12 pounds). I gave it air to see when the arm would move and i could not get the arm on the waste gate to move. After thinking for a while i noticed that on the side port of the boost controller there is a little hole on the port, like a vent to relieve pressure. Problem was that with it venting so much air i could not get the arm to open the flapper. So i went and got a standard barb fitting that went into the boost controller that didnt have a vent.

I threw this all together and no change, i drove the car and had the same results i cant hold a certain boost it goes every where. I would really appreciate some input. What makes me think is why i had problems with the halman boost controller i shouldnt need to be swapping the fittings on it? I must be over thinking it.

Thanks for reading
talonsway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all the boosts!