MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-01-2009   #1
91dsmgsx

cant get car started

i just re built my 91 gsx had it runnung for like maybe 10min and couldnt get any throttle respone found out that the revious owner wiried in a diff. tps,got that fixed then tryed to re wire the fuel pump and i thing i blew the MPI relay in the prossess and relocated the battery to the trunk i was wondering if i re wired the fuel pump wrong while the battery is in the back if it would still cause the relay to blow i replaced the coil pack and tested the injectors and everything checked out but it still wont start theres no spark or gas would it be the MPI relay or something else if anyone can help me out it would be great
91dsmgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #2
SnoEclipse

Drives: 07 Eclipse GT
Re: cant get car started

It would help if you would edit your post to add punctuation, etc. It's hard to tell where one problem ends and another begins.....

Also, can you use a multimeter?
Old 01-02-2009   #5
91dsmgsx

no aim and yes i know how to use a multi meter i used a spark tester and took out and injector to see if it sprayed gas during start up and no gas...i did all this work myself so im fairly familiar with dsm's and i went to school for a semester for automotive service so im not just running blind here
Old 01-02-2009   #6
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Listen for the MPI relay when you first turn the key, it's under the center console by the ECU. You can take it out, take off the cover and you'll see if it's blown or not. There's also an MPI fuse right on the positive battery cable, whatever you did with that when wiring up the rear mount battery. Those are always a PITA.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #7
91dsmgsx

i know where the relay is i took it out and tested is with a multi meter according to the hanyes manual and the fuse was blown but i replaced it and but the battery back to factory setting and still no start,spark or gas
Old 01-02-2009   #8
blackrosenova400

Pay me and ill come down tonight . Im sure we could get it goin. I have an A.A.S. degree is diesel mechanics, yet I am still convinced a have far more knowledge spark ignition engines.

Sounds like your computer is getting no power. Try to check for codes and im pretty sure if you get a contant 12v your computer isnt getting power or there is a problem with your ecu.

Last edited by blackrosenova400; 01-02-2009 at 01:13 AM..
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #9
SnoEclipse

Drives: 07 Eclipse GT

check all of the engine/ignition/fuel related fuses and relays.

Also use your meter to check for 12 volts at the injectors, etc.
Old 01-02-2009   #10
91dsmgsx

im broke at the moment blackrosenova400 and its kinda my project car i vowed to not pay someone to fix it but if your not but tomorrow and feel like driving down let me know
checked all fuses and relays and the computer could also be the cause but the connector to the relay is getting the correct amount of voltage to it and i know that if that relay doesnt work neither does the spark or the injectors
Old 01-02-2009   #11
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

can you hear your fuel pump in back?

Does it prime or anything like that?

Maybe I am used to a 255 but you still should be able to tell if that is working or not
Old 01-02-2009   #12
91dsmgsx

cant really hear it but i have an AFPR with a gauge on it and it always reads about 28-30psi so i know that the fuel is getting there just not combusting
Old 01-03-2009   #13
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

It sounds like you did a lot to the car and it could be a lot of things

Replaced coil pack (why?)

Blew out and replaced the MPI relay (why did it blow up in the first place?)

Relocated battery into the back (did you add an extra fuse? how did you relocate it? what wire? did the positive ground out anywhere causing these problems? How did you connect the positive wire in the front of the car?)

Rewire fuel pump? (how do you blow the MPI by doing this? Also how did you rewire your fuel pump? Relay by the battery?)

Rewired TPS (did you check this with mmcd or some other diagnostic tool to see if it is working? ECU may not let the car start if it doesn't see a signal. )

On my 255 I know you can hear that for sure. What fuel pump are you running that you need a AFPR?

I am wondering because you blew your MPI relay and fuse, is the ECU far behind of being wrecked? By chance where did you run the wire for the battery relocation?

For right now I would make sure that the battery relocation is done properly. Make sure it has all the fuses in the right location. Then make sure that the rewire to the fuel pump is correct. All it should be is a relay controlling power from the battery to the fuel pump (again make sure everything has a fuse).

Then further test to make sure the ECU is working also the MPI again then the TPS.
Old 01-03-2009   #14
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

Your car would run if you knew how to use a period
Old 01-03-2009   #15
91dsmgsx

yea im sure it would run if i knew how to use a period im looking for help not smart ass comments so screw off and i put the battery back to its original location. i replaced the coil pack because i tested the old one and it was bad. there was a bad connection to the TPS so i fixed that and it fixed the problem because the neo read that there was a connection to it. just the original fuel pump with the AFPR because i plan on upgrading it in the future. theres still no spark or gas im going to work on it today and will get back to you.