MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-24-2003   #1
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
I have been battling with a pretty nasty case of idle surge with my 92 TSi AWD. I have done almost everything I know of. New coolant temp sensor, ISC, TPS, clean as a whistle TB and pleny o' idle adjustments. As of now I have the BISS bottomed out and with the ISC in the middle( those two pins grounded out) it is around 900 rpm af normal temp. I can't even get it to go to 750. But I didn't have surge unless I started driving it before she was at normal temp.
Now that it is getting damn cold out it surges like mad during warm up and as soon as it gets to normal temp it stops. I don't know what else to do except for a single suggestion of replacing the FIAV. I happen to have one laying around and more than likely will try that soon, but was curious if anyone has had any experience in just blocking that part of TB off and getting rid of those things(I think the ISC is on that part too). Are there any downfalls of that other than a hard cold start? And what does the ECU do if the ISC isn't there? Just some thoughts but I hate telling the idiots at my work that car surges like that so it warms up faster and that it is trubo car thing(they are displacement idiots anyways).

Thanks in advance

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Try the FIAV and check for vacuum leaks. Also check for un-metered air getting in after the MAF.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003   #3
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
If it were a vac leak or unmetered air, wouldn't it be surging all the time? It only surges while warming up. I think I will try the FIAV tomorrow depending on the weather. Damn cold ass non insulated non heated garage...

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003   #4
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
I would do the boost leak test like Vicious said.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003   #5
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Its the TB... the FIAV is the problem... the wax pellet in there needs to warm up and melt and then it will stop surging. I dont know exactly how it works but the wax melts and covers a hole fore fast idle or something...

Im going to try and replace mine soon. I know thats what it is and Im pretty sure you have the same problem. Its not a boost leak...
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote