MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 05-07-2007   #1
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 1997 Eclipse GST
Send a message via AIM to Project2G
Clutch to the Floor

So I picked up a 97 Eclipse gst 5 speed with 95xxx miles a month ago from a used dealership in San Diego, and now I'm having a clutch issue. Almost 7 out of 10 times when I shift into reverse it grind (clutch issue not tranny) because it's almost like the clutch is not pushed in all the way even though I push the clutch to the floor. Yesterday and today when I was driving and puched in the clutch the pedal just stayed to the floor?? I had to pick it up with my hand then everything was fine. Both times this happened I was pulling to a parking lot and I'm just affraid it's going to happen why I'm driving dow the road or something. I bleed the clutch yesterday thinking I had air in the lines and the fluid was almost black.. Like they never changed the fluid before. =( Someone told me it's probably the Pressure plate. There is some play in the shift fork. I have also heard when the clutch pedal sticks to the floor when turning it could be crankwalk?? Any imput would be great thanks.
Old 05-07-2007   #2
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc
Re: Clutch to the Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project2G View Post
So I picked up a 97 Eclipse gst 5 speed with 95xxx miles a month ago from a used dealership in San Diego, and now I'm having a clutch issue. Almost 7 out of 10 times when I shift into reverse it grind (clutch issue not tranny) because it's almost like the clutch is not pushed in all the way even though I push the clutch to the floor. Yesterday and today when I was driving and puched in the clutch the pedal just stayed to the floor?? I had to pick it up with my hand then everything was fine. Both times this happened I was pulling to a parking lot and I'm just affraid it's going to happen why I'm driving dow the road or something. I bleed the clutch yesterday thinking I had air in the lines and the fluid was almost black.. Like they never changed the fluid before. =( Someone told me it's probably the Pressure plate. There is some play in the shift fork. I have also heard when the clutch pedal sticks to the floor when turning it could be crankwalk?? Any imput would be great thanks.
Which way do you turn when it sticks? Mine use to do it, untill I adjusted my pedal all the way out. I later found out my clutch master cylinder is shot.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3
sleepy2lazy

Try checking your slave and master clutch cylinders to see if they are leaking too. I'd recommend changing and bleeding the system again.
Black fluid is disgusting.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #4
sleepy2lazy

And commonly with crankwalk on the 2gs tho, is that when you make a left turn, your car will die.

But check this link out to read more on crankwalk.
http://roadraceengineering.com/walkingcrankshaft.htm
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #5
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

They are right on, either it is the master or slave or you have crankwalk. With black fluid it is pretty likely it is the master cylinder.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #6
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

Thanks for the quick responce. The car died because the car was still in gear but the first time I was going straight a nd the 2nd time I was turning the wheel slight right into a parking lot. I will bleed them again and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007   #7
scheides
flips McGee

+whatever on the slave & master cyl's. I say replace both, it's easy enough and your clutch will feel amazing!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Replace both along with a SS clutch line. They are cheap enough to replace, and generally when you replace one the added pressure will then cause the other to go out.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #9
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

BTW the someone that told him was me. I bled the clutch to make sure it wasnt something stupid like air in the lines. The fluid looked like shit. I have an extra "Known good" Slave cylinder so we will try that first.
When the clutch is depressed i can actually move the shift fork back and forth like there is play in there. Since i have had a manual eclipse ive never had the shift fork have play without the clutch being pushed in. Granted ive never had a stock clutch. This is why i was thinking maybe either the T.O bearing or Pressure plate was going bad. But when he said the clutch stuck to the floor i was instantly thinking warning signs of crankwalk.
We will replace the Slave and see if that maybe helps, it didnt look to be in the best of condition. From min to max the clutch fork would move approx 1.5cm.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #10
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

Replaced the slave cylinder and the problem has gone away. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-2007   #11
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

I just got back from lunch and the problem happened to me again =( I will be at a red light and when I push in the clutch half way it's like nothings there and it kinda feels like a suction cup to the floor (steering wheel straight not turned)... I'm thinking I should replace the master cylinder too then?
Old 05-09-2007   #12
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

Replace the master. Its called "phanotom pedal" or "ghost pedal" it happens when a rock or dirt or wahtever gets cought in the seal and allows air to get by causing it no to push the fluid and for it to stick to the floor.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm
Almost at the bottom.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #13
stikx
Mr -

I think you should try bleeding it out first.
stikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007   #14
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

I am going to replace the master cylinder.. I stopped driving my car because it kept getting worse. Everytime I drive the pedal only comes half way up after shifting and now First gear is hard to get into...