MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-04-2009   #1
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo
Clutch Opinions and Reviews wanted

My clutch is slip so I want to throw in a new clutch before the end of the year and make one more trip to the track.

With that being said what clutches have you guys have had good luck with or have heard of people having good luck with?

The clutch has to be able to take a beating and still hold, allow me to shift quickly at 8k, and be able to handle 500+awtq. Thats about it really, the car seems like it is slowly turning into a little less of a street car so I would rather learn to re-drive the car and have a clutch that will hold and take abuse rather than a clutch that will slip again after 30 passes.

I'm really looking at the Quater Master twin disc but thats a lot of money for a broke ass like me, so I'm open to other suggestions.

Again just any opinions or review of a clutch that will hold the power will help.

Thanks!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #2
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000
Re: Clutch Opinions and Reviews wanted

I'm not making near the power you are, but I have about 2500 miles on my competetion stage 4, and so far I love it. Engages pretty smoothly, but it can get kinda chattery if you release it too slow, and it launches beautifully. With your power, it might be at the upper limits of that clutch's holding power though.
Old 09-05-2009   #3
CarRacer

Drives: 91 Galant VR4

I've heard the PTT twin disk is the one to buy. The owner of PTT used to work at QM and left and improved their design.

It's a lot of money, but I think you are looking at a twin disk to meet your needs.
CarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #4
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

I have the ACT 2900 with a sprung 6 puck and it seems to be holding my power great. MB1-XXG6 is the part number and holds 595 ft lbs for tq.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #5
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
I'm not making near the power you are, but I have about 2500 miles on my competetion stage 4, and so far I love it. Engages pretty smoothly, but it can get kinda chattery if you release it too slow, and it launches beautifully. With your power, it might be at the upper limits of that clutch's holding power though.
I have the competition clutch stage 4 in my car currently, it has been a great clutch but if it slips on a hard 1-2 shift I don't think it'll hold a hard launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRacer View Post
I've heard the PTT twin disk is the one to buy. The owner of PTT used to work at QM and left and improved their design.

It's a lot of money, but I think you are looking at a twin disk to meet your needs.
I know the PTT one uses thinner disc's and have read some people have had problems with slipping them a little too much and the discs act up. I do have to try and do a little more searching but it seems so far that I haven't found any bad reviews for the quater master while I've found a few not so hot reviews on the ptt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95talonracer View Post
I have the ACT 2900 with a sprung 6 puck and it seems to be holding my power great. MB1-XXG6 is the part number and holds 595 ft lbs for tq.
Hmmmm, that would be nice and a lot cheaper. I've read that people experience the clutch dragging at higher rpm's with the 2900, have you experienced anything like that?
Old 09-05-2009   #6
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Honestly, I think the most budget way to do it is a 2900/6puck, but your slave and master cyl's better be upto par!

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #7
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

I have a competition stage 4 and love it! its my second competition clutch i've used and have had good luck with them. oh and they do have a stage 5 clutch kit too that might work better for your power
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #8
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

^dude, note the power he is making.

A lot of people are running 2900PP/with clutchnet disks with good success.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #9
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

I know. he said he has a stage 4 in it now thats why I said the stage 5 might be an option
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #10
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

What exactly to you mean by clutch drag? I guess I have not had this problem if I have no idea what it is.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #11
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

My QM was a great clutch. It lasted almost 2years on for me d.d. the evo. I had no problem driving it in rushhour. It held up just fine till the cluch peddle broke at the master and wore it out right away. It has about the same press. As a 2100 clutch. The ting was really loud. Lot of chater. I just replaced it with a hks twin that was 150.00 cheaper to rebuild over the QM so that is the only reason I changed twin plates.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #12
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

I think brad needs some more input from guys making the same power as him.
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #13
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I've got the best of both worlds, a QM twin rebuilt by Steve at PTT with his thicker disks and the important PTT throwout bearing. I don't drive it a lot on the street, but it does drive pretty nice even in rush hour traffic and will hold your power. It also allows for quicker shifting than the heavy singles. Coming from a ACT 3100, I can verify that personally.

I might have your solution for a cheaper twin in a week or two depending on how my Ebay auction goes. If my car doesn't sell for what I'm asking, I will be parting out the high performance stuff and converting back to a stockish looking 2.0 liter/16G car with an ACT 2100 or something similar. Maybe 300 AWHP wouldn't be so bad.....
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #14
turbotalon1g

^um, on E85 u can make 400whp.
That will be a sad day.
Good luck to you both, brad check the link forums on what I was talking about someone else is asking about clutches on there.
Old 09-06-2009   #15
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Least-It's-An-Evo View Post
Honestly, I think the most budget way to do it is a 2900/6puck, but your slave and master cyl's better be upto par!
I'm pretty sure I replaced the slave when I put in the tre trans. The only thing that kind of gets me thinking of not doing a 2900 combo is that we all know this motor is going to blow and after it does I want to build a motor that will *hopefully make some more power. I don't want to buy another clutch after a motor build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons69 View Post
I have a competition stage 4 and love it! its my second competition clutch i've used and have had good luck with them. oh and they do have a stage 5 clutch kit too that might work better for your power
I was looking at the stage 5 for a little bit but couldn't tell exactly what changed from the stage 4-5. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they think it would last for a while. I did love my stage 4 from them so that would be a good option of the stage 5 would work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95talonracer View Post
What exactly to you mean by clutch drag? I guess I have not had this problem if I have no idea what it is.
From Jacks "Rev the engine up until you feel the car start to move forward. If the car moves forward below 7200RPM, your clutch is dragging." Dragging is just hard on trans and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
My QM was a great clutch. It lasted almost 2years on for me d.d. the evo. I had no problem driving it in rushhour. It held up just fine till the cluch peddle broke at the master and wore it out right away. It has about the same press. As a 2100 clutch. The ting was really loud. Lot of chater. I just replaced it with a hks twin that was 150.00 cheaper to rebuild over the QM so that is the only reason I changed twin plates.
Thats awesome it lasted for 2 years daily driving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike55112 View Post
I think brad needs some more input from guys making the same power as him.
I'm open to hearing everybody's input, the more things people either tell me or tell me I should read the more knowledge I'm going to have when picking up my next clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I've got the best of both worlds, a QM twin rebuilt by Steve at PTT with his thicker disks and the important PTT throwout bearing. I don't drive it a lot on the street, but it does drive pretty nice even in rush hour traffic and will hold your power. It also allows for quicker shifting than the heavy singles. Coming from a ACT 3100, I can verify that personally.

I might have your solution for a cheaper twin in a week or two depending on how my Ebay auction goes. If my car doesn't sell for what I'm asking, I will be parting out the high performance stuff and converting back to a stockish looking 2.0 liter/16G car with an ACT 2100 or something similar. Maybe 300 AWHP wouldn't be so bad.....
Thanks for the input! I could possibly be down picking up your twin disc, but I'm an impatient bastard and kind of want to get something ordered or pick something up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
^um, on E85 u can make 400whp.
That will be a sad day.
Good luck to you both, brad check the link forums on what I was talking about someone else is asking about clutches on there.
You don't happen to have a link to that thread would you?

Keep 'em coming guys!
Old 09-06-2009   #16
turbotalon1g

Good deal on a twin disk setup?
http://dsmlink.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=clutch

Here is a clutch thread guy seems to want the same requirements as you.

Here is another clutch setup that would work for you:

Rob is a good guy.
Old 09-06-2009   #17
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Brad I went through this same ordeal earlier in the season as my Fidanza was finally slipping. I was not interested in a twin-disk setup so I was looking for a standard type setup. I basically did a ton of searching on the Link forums, and PM'd a bunch of the guys making the power level I was (a hair less than you) and running mid/low 10's.

After researching a lot, I ended up with an ACT 2900 pressure plate combined with a Clutchnet Sprung 6-puck disk. MAP was able to get it all for me. Tons of great reviews from a bunch of the guys on there who seem to know what they're doing. If you are worried about dragging at high RPM's, then consider going with an un-sprung disk, it may help with that slightly (from what I heard while doing my research) but you may get more chatter and possibly cause a little more "wear" on the splines of the disk (again, heard this while researching). The pedal pressure of a 2900 isn't that bad actually. I haven't driven a 2600 car in a long time, but I actually feel like the pedal might be a hair lighter than with a 2600 because of their PP design they used on the new 2900 PP's.

It held for me all year, and I even took it out after abusing it for a month and it looked suprisingly good still.

Here's my thread on here about it all:
http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/sho...ight=clutchnet
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009   #18
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Thanks again for all the input and links guys!

The car held a hard nls 1-2 the other day but don't think it would hold with the 100 shot, and knowing me I'll probably want to spray in first if I can get slicks before i got to the track.

Well I ordered a quater master twin disc and I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. So who knows what else will fail on this car next, only time will tell.
Old 09-11-2009   #19
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Sweet! You'll have to let me ride in that someday because I've never felt a twin disc before.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote