MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-25-2008   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Timing on a 1g Head.

Hey,
My car is now running after a month of being down but its suffering of a lack of power and spoolup.
The main thing that is different is i now have a 1g head on my 7bolt block. (also a cometic hg and arp studs )
I have the plugs switched like they should but the problem i think is with the timing. Stock timing on a 2g is 5 btdc, but on a 1g it is 10 btdc. So its kind of a gray area as to where i should put my ignition timing.
Should i put the timing to 10 btdc?
Thanks
Tom
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7
Re: Timing on a 1g Head.

To start with, you would want the base timing set at what your ecu expects it to be. 2G's have really crappy timing maps stock, so adding a little extra timing with the cas would probably wake the car up (if you don't have another way to control timing). Just keep an eye on timing on your logger to make sure it isn't being pulled because of knock.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I have dsmlink. Its not knocking at all.
Its idling just fine and running decent, but when i shift into first from a stop its just totally lacking power. And spoolup doesnt start until way late. When im finally in boost its feels like its struggling to keep up. (replaced plugs and new oil as well)
On lunch im going to set at 10btdc and see what happens.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 08-25-2008   #4
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Did you select invert CAS in link if you have a 95 or 96?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

Isnt the stock base timing on a 1g 5btdc
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Yes, base is 5 degrees on both 1Gs and 2Gs. You could just quickly add timing in the DSMLink, if you think that is the problem, to test it.
Old 08-25-2008   #7
tpunx99GSX

I actually manually adjusted the CAS to 10 BTDC and it perked right up. I think there is still a lot of tuning to do in DSMLink to accomodate the new head. but for now its much better.