MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-08-2006   #1
thom1301

Rookie "Is my turbo bad?" Question

I just started modding my 90k-mile '96 AWD Talon. Yesterday I installed hard intake pipe and cone filter, hard intercooler pipes, Greddy RS bov, Hallman mbc, and a boost gauge. Car is otherwise stock. I noticed there was some oil in the intercooler piping. There seemed to be more in the upper piping than the lower. I have no experience with turbo cars, I don't know if this is just normal or if my turbo is leaking or what. Car boosts fine (now to 15 psi) and doesn't seem to smoke. Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
thom1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Rookie "Is my turbo bad?" Question

Oil in the intercooler piping is normal for a stock DSM. That oil generally comes from the crankcase vent tube. You can just disconnect that from the intake pipe (plug the nipple on the pipe) and either put a small filter on the valve cover or connect it to a catch-can. You'll also want to do this with the PCV valve which routes to the intake manifold. While you're at it, might as well do an EGR block-off plate and remove all other emissions systems.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #3
snea

Doesn't the EGR system help reduce knock at low throttle settings and tend to not effect your wot in any way?
snea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006   #4
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by snea
Doesn't the EGR system help reduce knock at low throttle settings and tend to not effect your wot in any way?
Technically EGR only operates at mid throttle ranges. Since it generally runs off manifold vac. it will not function at idle or WOT, atleast on vac controlled EGR systems.

I questioned doing this too because of when it operates but a lot of people swear by it and it does clean up the engine bay a little too.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote