MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Good Guy / Bad Guy feedback

Old 11-08-2010   #1
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Drives: RR EVO Viii 493AWHP Spilner Mobile(sold)
SERIOUS PROBLEM (Jake Vogel/TKR Mark)

I am having Jake Vogel install my transmission,

I had TKR Mark build the inside from a TRE stage 2, 1g and the EVO 3 3rd and 4th gears with a 4spider diff from Speedfreak (MO).

before putting the transmission in Jake called me and said it wouldn't shift into 5th or reverse

so i went to his shop
I called mark he told me to have jake open the trans, thinking maybe jake dropped it.

Inside of the trans:

The shift fork for 5th was too small and didnt line up right with the pin on the rail, it was completely different than my 2g shift fork. some of the bearing were loose, it was a little dirty inside the trans, there was a chip on one of the teeth and it was all pressed together too hard forcing it into the housing...

THE CENTER DIFF was not a 4 spider....
I opened the center diff to find a regular 2 spider.

IDK who to trust, what's going on or what to do. Mark loaded the trans into my car, jake took it out.

The problem i'm faced with:
Jake had the transmission for 3 weeks before getting around to installing it, because other costumers cars kept coming first or he had family issues.
He's also converting his 2g to awd and getting a built trans.

How do i know if mark put the evo gears in, and if he put the 4 spider in?

Did Mo actually give mark a 4 spider?

Why can't you just trust people these days?

Last edited by Cammaxon; 01-19-2011 at 08:45 PM..
Cammaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #2
Powers

Drives: 93 mx6!
Send a message via MSN to Powers Send a message via Skype™ to Powers
Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM

thats pretty bad man. so what did jake say when it was opened up?
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

I thought everyone knew better than to let Jake Vogel touch their cars.

Sorry, but this is one can of worms I'm staying away from.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #4
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showthr...ght=jake+vogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: SERIOUS PROBLEM at Jake Vogel's shop

Momin is a complete stand-up guy, and I hope his name doesn't get drug into this any further.

As for the rest of the situation, yup sounds like a can of worms. It's really too bad that this happened, and was a purely local ordeal. Sorry to hear this happened to you
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #6
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

I saw some of the assembly of the tranny. It was interesting listening to him explaining what he was doing. I never knew evo 3 gears fitt in a dsm transmission ect nice lecture session.

Last edited by Alpha D; 11-10-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #7
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Cam(OP) and I have been texting about this. And I do not want to get drug into this, but he asked me to post up that I did indeed drop off a 4 spider diff.. I did. I do not intend to point fingers as I do not know anything about what was done after I dropped off the center diff, but mistakes happen, and maybe the center diff is around somewhere?
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #8
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

I think mark should check his work area. I'm not saying this was intentional. I know the tre transmission had a 2spider in it, maybe he ACCIDENTLY put that one in during the install, they look similar on the outside.

Mark gave the transmission back to me with sealed with an orange gasket and i watched jake open it up. If jake was going to go through the trouble of intentionally swapping parts than i would hope he'd be smart enough to make it work long enough for me to drive it and break it but the 1g 5th/R shift fork didn't work in the 2g housing. it's a lot smaller and the pins dont line up.
Old 11-08-2010   #9
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Why can't you trust anyone? Instead of taking the cheap route, and potential headaches, and just go with a proven, trusted company. I have dealt with John Shephard many times, standup guy and standup company. Get something that is gonna last, be done right the first time, and be done with it. If you bitch about money, then just sell the car. Or get a loan. W/e. Do it right the first time. DSMs, when done right, are not cheap to own. Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #10
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Some one just slipped up on the 4 spider thats all. and where do u think i got the evo gears... shep.

Mark checked the other diff at his house, it's also a 2 spider. He said the one that i have in there is the one from Mo

Mo had to pull the diff from a car maybe he pulled the wrong one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydsm View Post
Why can't you trust anyone? Instead of taking the cheap route, and potential headaches, and just go with a proven, trusted company. I have dealt with John Shephard many times, standup guy and standup company. Get something that is gonna last, be done right the first time, and be done with it. If you bitch about money, then just sell the car. Or get a loan. W/e. Do it right the first time. DSMs, when done right, are not cheap to own. Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now.
Old 11-08-2010   #11
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Sounds like assembly issues on the transmission.

Last edited by niterydr; 11-09-2010 at 12:22 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #12
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I'd be more concerned about Jake swapping trannies with some junk he had laying around. Mark has always been a stand-up guy along with Mo.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #13
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom

Yeah when I get work done I go to reputable shops, no offense to anyone but it's just I would rather be angry at a shop in a professional manner than risk being angry at someone and letting it get personal.

When going with a shop I go with a shop I trust and pay the money. If I were to choose someone I would sit next to them while they work on it, not only to see first hand what's going on but also because I'm interested in learning.

This shit's expensive, I'm learning right now I should do shit right. All we can do is learn from our mistakes, I hope you learned from yours.

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #14
Speedfreak

Everyone makes mistakes. But to cover my end, Cam asked if I'd check what I have in another tranny I have.. I will. Unfortunately it's in a storage unit buried under a ton of stuff, then I have to disassemble it, which will need an impact of some sort. Hoping to clear my end in the next few days.

That being said, I remember looking at the diff to make sure it was all good before I dropped it off.. I remember a 4 spider.
Old 11-08-2010   #15
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Would he honestly go through all that trouble and then have it not work? It had the wrong size shift forks on 5/r. And he would have had to of used the same gasket mark used i dont think any one was trying to rip me off i think it was just a mix up.

but i know that i dont want to just donate $300 to some one. I allready had a 2 spider, i could have kept that and my $300...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I'd be more concerned about Jake swapping trannies with some junk he had laying around. Mark has always been a stand-up guy along with Mo.
Old 11-08-2010   #16
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

To start with...

Does any one know if all the gears sets, shift forks, bearings, are identical in a 1g trans and 2g trans? Mark said he took a Stage whatever 1g trans and put it in Cameron's 2g case... The reason I ask is I have Cameron's 5th gear sitting on a shelf from when I pulled the transmission apart the first time and it has a significantly larger hub, synchro's and slider along with the larger shift fork.

Now the difference in shift forks piviots the smaller shift fork towards the outside of the transmission, causing the shift rail to twist when the shift fork is lined up with the gear set.

Here are a few pictures...

As you can see, when the shift rail is straight, the shift fork inside the trans is why off. Also the difference in size between a stock 5th gear shift fork and whatever the other one is, I'm curious if the shift forks between 1g and 2g are different. So if he would have used a 1g shift rail, it probably would have worked?

There is no way in hell this thing could have shifted on the bench, I dont care what anyone says... You can obviously see the difference, if you put a pin in that shift fork when its rotated to line up with the gear set, the rail turns quite a ways to where the shift linkages wont even touch it.

You guys can say whatever you want about me... I know I didnt touch this trans. It sat in the same spot until I went to put it in. This is the main reason why I told him I did not want to rebuild the trans so he went to mark, I did not want the liability. Then this shit happens and of course its my fault. I should have just rebuilt the trans to begin with and at least make it worth everyone blaming me.

As far as the 4 spider goes, I dont know what happened there. There is some engraving on the outside of the center diff housing that looks as if it could have been machined? Maybe a mix up? All I know is this trans has never been apart since mark put it together.

If you are going to judge me, judge me for who I am today, not yesterday or last year, or even 10 years ago... Look at me today and judge me! I was only here to do the trans swap. I pulled the trans, he had it built, I put it back in. Thats all there is to it. The problem her is between Cameron and Mark...

And Cameron made a good point, if I honestly went through it, why wouldnt I put it back together to make it work so he wouldnt know I took shit out of it?? Why would I put the trans in, start to hook up the shift linkages only to find out there is no 5th/rev, kind of a waste of time. His car has been sitting in my shop for 6 weeks. I would like it gone, not sitting there taking up space even longer.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #17
Speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammaxon View Post
Would he honestly go through all that trouble and then have it not work? It had the wrong size shift forks on 5/r. And he would have had to of used the same gasket mark used i dont think any one was trying to rip me off i think it was just a mix up.

but i know that i dont want to just donate $300 to some one. I allready had a 2 spider, i could have kept that and my $300...
And I'm not interested in giving good parts only to be accused of something..

Like I mentioned, I'm going to look into it. I'm not sure there was any need of making a post like this that only hurts the situation and kind of pisses off the people you are trying to work through your situation with.
Old 11-08-2010   #18
EclipseGST

Mo... I will take a few pictures of the numbers for you to see if the case looks similar. I only have one picture of the center diff and thats when we took it apart:

I'll get a few pictures this afternoon.
Old 11-08-2010   #19
blackrosenova400

Thats a pretty bad mistake and should not have been put together like this. I think it shows lack of knowledge, or lack of paying attention.

At this point it should be taken completely apart, gears, hubs, syncros, bearings, should all be inspected. Then bearing end play/pre-load should be measured as it should have been.

Setting bearing endplay/pre-load is crucial as all the parts were installed into a new case, and should have been checked/set, but I doubt it was.
Old 11-08-2010   #20
EclipseGST

I have a video of how loose the center diff was. Uploading it now...