MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-03-2011   #1
Trogdor

Drives: people crazy
New to the forums! Questions about modding my GTS

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine refereed me to these forums. I just got a used 2010 Lancer 2.4L GTS, CVT. I really was hoping to find a new Ralliart, but the price tag was a bit much for my budget. Anyhow, I've been looking for ways to give my car a bit more umph for a relatively small price tag (like ~$1500 or less). I've done a lot of researching, but still have a lot of questions that are specific to the GTS as many of the things I have read pertain to the Ralliart and Evos. I'm not looking to go nut on performance, just a little something extra.

1) I've been looking at turbo/superchargers. My understanding is that a super is more reliable due to potential exhaust build up on a turbo (and the lack of lag obviously). Any opinions on this one?
A) I've also heard that specifically the GTS's stock tranny and pistons may not be able to handle a turbo/supercharger. Meaning I'd have to have a lot more work done than just slapping on a kit. Can any one confirm this?
2) I've also been looking at alternative HP/Torque boosting ideas. From what I gather, new plugs, a cold air in-take (and filter) and a cat-back exhaust system might give me and small boost I'm looking for in the price range I'm at.
A) I read this post http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21250 but again, it's all info specifically for the Evo. Are air intakes and exhaust systems universal (aside from single or double)?
B) Are these "bolt ons" things a guy whose knowledge about cars is fairly limited could do on his own? When I say limited, I can change my own oil and that's about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Trogdor; 08-03-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #2
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: New to this! Questions about my GTS

Lots of good info in here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-...08-forums-196/

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #3
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Welcome to Style. You aren't going to get the power increase you want just by slapping on an intake or getting exhaust. You won't get any power increase you want based on your budget either.

http://lancertuners.com/forum.php is going to be your best bet for Lancer specific questions.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Give that $1500 umph to your savings account instead, save up, and trade it in for a RA or Evo. You'll spend thousands of dollars on your Lancer and still get no where near close to a bone stock RA or Evo's performance.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #5
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Give that $1500 umph to your savings account instead, save up, and trade it in for a RA or Evo. You'll spend thousands of dollars on your Lancer and still get no where near close to a bone stock RA or Evo's performance.
x2

welcome to Mitsustyle! I'd highly recommend keeping it stock and away from forced induction. A car that isn't turbocharged from factory, technically, isn't supposed to be turbocharged even if it can 'handle' all the boost. It's going to be much more of a headache going from a car that is non-turbo'd to turbo. I'm pretty sure it will exceed your $1500 goal also. Like Kracka said, save up some cash and get the RA because it'll be darn worth it.

As for the simple mods, I'd just get the intake and catback exhaust (optional). You won't gain much out of it but at least an intake for that "extra" push those engines are going to make. Installing an intake is pretty straight forward too. If you need any help, I'm sure anyone of us around your area will be willing to help out if we have the time to do so. Good luck
Old 08-03-2011   #6
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Seriously though, even doing intake and exhaust probably won't net much power, just make it sound a little cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The absolute most I'd do on a car like that is a drop-in panel filter; it will at least save you money since it's reusable.
Old 08-03-2011   #8
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

www.roadracemotorsports.com is the site most lancer guys use to get performance/show parts.
Coming from a guy that owns that exact same car. Dont mod it. Its good for one thing, commuting with very little gas use.
Think of the Lancer GTS as the Eclipse GS of the lineup. Its got some comfort features or bells and whistles, but its not GST/GSX.
Enjoy the car for what it is. I love my GTS, but eventually will be trading in for an EVO. because its smarter money.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #9
Trogdor

The Colony, TX hu? Wouldn't happen to be the husband of my friend who refereed me here would ya?
Old 08-04-2011   #10
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
The Colony, TX hu? Wouldn't happen to be the husband of my friend who refereed me here would ya?
Depends, who's your friend?
Old 08-04-2011   #11
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Re: New to the forums! Questions about modding my GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
2) I've also been looking at alternative HP/Torque boosting ideas. From what I gather, new plugs, a cold air in-take (and filter) and a cat-back exhaust system might give me and small boost I'm looking for in the price range I'm at.
A) I read this post http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21250 but again, it's all info specifically for the Evo. Are air intakes and exhaust systems universal (aside from single or double)?
B) Are these "bolt ons" things a guy whose knowledge about cars is fairly limited could do on his own? When I say limited, I can change my own oil and that's about it.
Plugs will do nothing, keep the stock ones, they're probably good for 60-100k miles (iridium).
Intake and exhaust will maybe give you a little power, 5 WHP at the absolute most; more than anything they'd be for sound.
That modding thread doesn't pertain to a non-turbo Lancer, everything in there is Evo-specific.
Intakes and exhausts are not universal, you'd have to buy ones specific to your year, model, and trim.
Simple bolt-ons like these are generally easy enough for anyone with a basic set of handtools to accomplish either alone or with a friend.

Worrying about your rods and pistons is a definitely possibility if you turbo/supercharge your car. Not to mention it will immediately void your warranty if you ever have any sort of issue with the car and bring it in for repair.

Last edited by Kracka; 08-04-2011 at 07:30 AM..
Old 08-04-2011   #12
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Re: New to the forums! Questions about modding my GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Plugs will do nothing, keep the stock ones, they're probably good for 60-100k miles (iridium).
Intake and exhaust will maybe give you a little power, 5 WHP at the absolute most; more than anything they'd be for sound.
That modding thread doesn't pertain to a non-turbo Lancer, everything in there is Evo-specific.
Intakes and exhausts are not universal, you'd have to buy ones specific to your year, model, and trim.
Simple bolt-ons like these are generally easy enough for anyone with a basic set of handtools to accomplish either alone or with a friend.

Worrying about your rods and pistons is a definitely possibility if you turbo/supercharge your car. Not to mention it will immediately void your warranty if you ever have any sort of issue with the car and bring it in for repair.
I am bolding the TRIM portion of that due to a lot of things that will fit the 2.0 wont fit the 2.4. Also if you have the CVT (with paddles), there are differences between items made for a Manual, or automatic.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #13
Trogdor

Good to know. Thanks guys!