MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 07-03-2007   #1
gstjoker

Send a message via MSN to gstjoker
Arrow 2g Gst Suspension help

Besides the fact that my car might die, I'm going to go ahead and put on a new suspension for my car as it feels like an earthquake everytime I brake. The car is a 96 gst pushing close to 300 whp, 291 to be exact. It has 117k miles on stock suspension. Here's a list of what I need:

Rotors(4)/Pads(4):
-Autozone Duralast rotors w/a 2 year warranty? I don't really need anything special. Maybe Autozone's semi-metallic pads or RRE pads?

Struts(4)/Springs(4):
-Tokico Illumina Adjustables with Eibach Sportlines or Pro-kit? I don't really mind the lower drop. Which ever comes cheapest.

Is there anything else I'll need to do when making the change such as any other misc. mechanical part or supporting parts I need to get to do this change? This is my first time so I'll do more research on how to do this, if it get's too hard, I might just take it to a shop and have them do it. I know I'll need to do a wheel alignment after this is all done too so that's on the checklist already. Anything else I'm missing? Let me know.

Old 07-03-2007   #2
Hoffer00

Cantankerous Tank Champion! Fight Man Champion! Go Johnny Go Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to Hoffer00
Re: 2g Gst Suspension help

I personally like dustless brake pads. You pay a little more but you clean less.
Slotted works a little better.
Hoffer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #3
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Are you doing the suspension to try and cure some problem or is this just an excuse to upgrade? If it's just to cure the braking problem you should really figure out exactly what's wrong before spending a fortune on it. You'll want to look at Ball joints, Tie Rods, Wheel Bearings, Bushings, Make sure everything is tight, etc...

Not that a suspension upgrade isn't worth while...
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007   #4
gstjoker

Send a message via MSN to gstjoker

oh, it's a problem thing also used as an excuse to upgrade. I've been driving with bad rotors for 2 1/2 years now I want to say? I had them checked out at I think it was Carx Shop and that's what they said too so since I'll be changing my rotors and don't ever want to mess with it again, I'm going to go ahead and do my suspension setup. I know my stock ones are bad. I drive my 97 corolla and suspension on that car is a lot better than it is on my 96 gst. Same story for my 03 Vue, but again, it's an 03 so of course it should be.
Old 07-03-2007   #5
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Well, like I said, check over the other things while you're at it.

I believe the Pro-kits offer less of a drop which means it will cause less hassle in the alignment department. I've also heard they offer better handling over all than the sportlines, but I'm not super familiar with either. I can tell you I have the Pro-kits on my 1G AWD and am happy with them.

I've only done suspension once. For the most part I found it to be pretty straight forward for a first timer. Rust is a bioch. Soak everything down with penetrant first. Rent a proper spring compressor.

Rotors and pads should be simple enough. I say skimp on the rotors and spend it on good pads.

Last edited by xveganxcowboyx; 07-03-2007 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: clarification
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote