MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 11-12-2008   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Rattle...

So I am not sure if I am posting in the right area but its where i think the issue lies.
So a week ago my car started acting up. Still drives but i noticed a rattle coming from the engine. I pulled the VC to make sure nothing was rattleing around in there or didnt break a spring.
Then I emptied the tranny fluid to make sure it was still full. because it kind of sounded like it was coming from there.
It gets worse after the car has been warmed up and driven a couple miles. It sounds more like its coming from either the clutch area or inside the tranny. Im not positive.
When I drive and get passed 3k rpm the check engine light comes on, I will be hooking my laptop up to see if its just seeing a bunch of knock because of the noise or what but it seems to lack power after that RPM.
Any Ideas?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: Rattle...

Sounds like a loose flywheel or bad clutch disk. You could check the crank pulley/harmonic balancer too.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Any difference when you step on the clutch at all?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #4
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

When i press the clutch after it has already started rattling the rattle gets a little louder for a second. I cannot feel anything on the clutch. Its still engaging and disengaging just fine.
Last time i changed out the clutch i made sure that it was torqued to spec. I suppose that doesnt mean much because they can come loose i suppose.
I was thinking it may be the clutch disk or something like that. But wouldnt i feel like the clutch was slipping or something? Im basically hoping its not anything with the tranny. But like i said im not seeing any difference in driveability except that it seems to hesitate after 3k rpm, But im thinking it may be registering the rattle as knock and messing with timing.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 11-12-2008   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Just wondering if it could be the throwout bearing, or something related to that.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #6
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Sounds to me like a clutch disc issue. If it was the throwout bearing, it would make a grinding noise when the car is in neutral with the clutch engaged
Old 11-12-2008   #7
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Rattle Rattle Thunder Crackle Boom Boom Boom. Don't worry, it's just Tom's car.
Old 11-12-2008   #8
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

Sounds like my car when the flywheel bolts came loos.
Old 11-17-2008   #9
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

A loose transmission could cause this, when you press on the clutch the transmission pulls away from the block, and stops rattling.

the vibration of the engine may cause the trans to slap aganst the block causing excessive knock counts = CEL

My ¢2
Old 11-20-2008   #10
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceminion View Post
A loose transmission could cause this, when you press on the clutch the transmission pulls away from the block, and stops rattling.

the vibration of the engine may cause the trans to slap aganst the block causing excessive knock counts = CEL

My ¢2
I Checked the bolts ont he tranny and its still tight, The only one i did not check is the one on the back side of the engine, ill have to look at that this weekend.
Fly and TO bearing are definate possibilities, just dont have time or the effort to take off the tranny. One of these days ill feel extra motivated.
Old 11-20-2008   #11
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

You do not need to take the trans off to inspect the clutch! lol!

if you take the flexible boot off the clutch fork area you can have a look at pretty much everything by turning the engine over.

Your other option is to get some dyno time, and drive the car until it makes some noise, and have someone feel around until the offending part is found!

moar ¢2, so thats ¢4 now
Old 11-20-2008   #12
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceminion View Post
You do not need to take the trans off to inspect the clutch! lol!

if you take the flexible boot off the clutch fork area you can have a look at pretty much everything by turning the engine over.

Your other option is to get some dyno time, and drive the car until it makes some noise, and have someone feel around until the offending part is found!

moar ¢2, so thats ¢4 now
Already looked through the glory hole. Didnt really see anything out of place. The pressure plate looked very clean, no dusting or anything.
Dont really need dyno time as it does the rattle at idle after the car has been driven a bit to warm up. Free Rev and hear the tick more. It sounds like a loud version of lifter tick is i suppose the best way i can describe. Also the engine doesnt vibrate all that much. Just normal, also idle is very normal. Really the only problem is after it warms up the loud ticking and not being able to go above 3k rpms without it registering knock.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 11-20-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Old 11-25-2008   #13
tpunx99GSX

So today on my way to work i logged driving using DSMlink just to see what was happening at 3000 rpm when the CEL comes on (for knock.) In the log the boostest was not even 1psi and knock shot up to 12.7 degrees, and timing dropped to 5*.
Does this sound like knock that would be caused by a noise?
Im pulling the transmission over the long break to see if maybe there is a loose flywheel bolt or something rattling around in the clutch. But to me it would seem that the knock should not shoot up like that over a rattle.
Old 11-25-2008   #14
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

An audible rattle will cause Knock. I'd inspect stuff before you do any more damage.
Old 11-27-2008   #15
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Craigs old talon did the same thing on the dyno at db and in the end it was rod knock on 2 and 3
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008   #16
tpunx99GSX

Got the tranny off. Looks like my 6-puck clutch disk was pretty worn. On the kevlar side it was going into the rivet on one of the pucks. So im going to call southbend tomorrow (hopefully they are open) and order a new disk.
Should i a) Order a new 6 puck clutch disk from southbend or B) Go with another brand of clutch altogether.
What brand would be the best bang for the buck? Im not looking to go multi disk just yet (likely do that when i get to MN but dont have the money for one yet.) I dont think i would mind a solid hub, Im looking to lay down as much of my power to the ground, and the southbend i found to be great when i first had it but after a while i noticed it was slipping. So I think solid hub would be best.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 11-28-2008 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-29-2008   #17
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Why not a Mitsu disc?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #18
tpunx99GSX

im ordering a new act 2900 with the 6 puck sprung disk tonght from MAP.
Old 11-29-2008   #19
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Why the 6 puck? How much power do you make?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008   #20
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Look at Competition brand clutches instead; much better quality and drivability with plenty of torque capacity. Stick with a sprung hub for a street car though.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote