MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 08-07-2010   #1
scheides
flips McGee

Camber Tires - built in 2°

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...er-tires/#more

Pretty slick, wonder how they work/last in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #2
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard
Re: Camber Tires - built in 2°

Cool idea, but yeah, do they work in the real world.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010   #3
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Link wouldn't work on my pos phone, but these sound the same as nitto neo gens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #4
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

^ No these are not like the Nitto Neo Gens. The NGs have a dense inside shoulder tread that makes the tire not wear as quickly for cars with alot of camber.

The tire this guy invented are not square. The tires have camber built into them. Basically its like this...

|_| <- normal tire (square)

\_\ <- camber tire that this guy invented.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Instead of the tire compensating for negative camber why not just run 0* camber? As far as I can tell, that's all this tire is doing.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #6
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Drives: WW IX MR

They used Evo X's to test this out.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...res/index.html

-Jalal
Old 08-09-2010   #7
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

The idea makes sense, I think this will catch on big.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

NASCAR uses it...because they only turn left
Old 08-09-2010   #9
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23FE View Post
They used Evo X's to test this out.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...res/index.html

-Jalal
The data results from that test aren't huge but the verbage suggests they are way impressed. Will be interesting to see where this goes though, that's for sure.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 08-09-2010   #10
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
\_\ <- camber tire that this guy invented.
According to the picture in the link provided the tires have different height sidewalls and aren't actually angled like that.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't just leave the suspension at 0 degrees and put the short sidewall on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
NASCAR uses it...because they only turn left
NASCAR uses square tires like everyone else.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010   #11
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
According to the picture in the link provided the tires have different height sidewalls and aren't actually angled like that.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't just leave the suspension at 0 degrees and put the short sidewall on the outside.

NASCAR uses square tires like everyone else.
Matt, I don't understand what you mean when you say that they aren't actually angled like that. The different heights of the sidewalls make the angle that you see.

If you left the suspension at 0° and put the short sidewalls on the outside you would have positive camber.

-Jalal
Old 08-09-2010   #12
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23FE View Post
Matt, I don't understand what you mean when you say that they aren't actually angled like that. The different heights of the sidewalls make the angle that you see.

If you left the suspension at 0° and put the short sidewalls on the outside you would have positive camber.

-Jalal
Since one sidewall is shorter than the other that means the tread itself is angled 2 degrees, which is what would happen if you put 2 degrees of camber into the suspension with a square tire.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 08-09-2010   #13
scheides
flips McGee

I think the negative camber is to offset the camber of the tire and make the tire sit flat on the ground all the time. A lot of guys run -2.5° of camber in the front anyways, right, so what would happen if you took this tire and ran the suspension at, say, -5° of camber.

The interesting side effect to this tire that is kinda neat is that it eats up the road a little nicer while cruising. Totally not what I would have thought of but it makes 100% perfect sense. Instead of the force of the road traveling straight up the sidewall, it is at an angle, so the sidewalls sorta flex like an offset spring and eat some of the directional force.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-09-2010   #14
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
I think the negative camber is to offset the camber of the tire and make the tire sit flat on the ground all the time. A lot of guys run -2.5° of camber in the front anyways, right, so what would happen if you took this tire and ran the suspension at, say, -5° of camber.

The interesting side effect to this tire that is kinda neat is that it eats up the road a little nicer while cruising. Totally not what I would have thought of but it makes 100% perfect sense. Instead of the force of the road traveling straight up the sidewall, it is at an angle, so the sidewalls sorta flex like an offset spring and eat some of the directional force.
Running 0* front camber would do the same thing. The way I see it, using this tire as stated and pictured, is pointless. Negative camber is all about gaining maximum tire contact patch when the car is leaned over, running a tire flat on the ground while going straight will pull the inner edge up in a corner while a car running negative camber with traditional tires will have a larger contact patch on the road.

Last edited by Kracka; 08-09-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-09-2010   #15
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Running 0* front camber would do the same thing. The way I see it, using this tire as stated and picture, is pointless.
I agree completely. 0 degrees is 0 degrees, regardless of what the wheel is doing. If the tire is flat when it's static then it's still going to want to roll in a corner, and a taller outside sidewall is only going to make that worse.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2010   #16
MJ23FE
Levant IX

Quote:
Since one sidewall is shorter than the other that means the tread itself is angled 2 degrees, which is what would happen if you put 2 degrees of camber into the suspension with a square tire.
Correct. We're on the same page regarding that.
Quote:

I would think you'd get -2° front camber if you did that, no?
Quote:
Running 0* front camber would do the same thing. The way I see it, using this tire as stated and pictured, is pointless. Negative camber is all about gaining maximum tire contact patch when the car is leaned over, running a tire flat on the ground while going straight will pull the inner edge up in a corner while a car running negative camber with traditional tires will have a larger contact patch on the road.
If you left the suspension at 0°, wouldn't there be a ton of stress on the hub?

Also, wouldn't that mess up suspension geometry and such since your suspension components would be at positive camber, but your tires would be at their static camber?

-Jalal
Old 08-09-2010   #17
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Quote:
Yes, Matt. I realize the actual structure and composition of the tire, and although I have many talents, drawing the concept using an ASCII character set isn't a strong point.
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #18
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR

I think there may be some benefits to having the wheel 2degrees more tipped in. It might be important to note, that like they said, you would have to adjust your alignment for those tires. I would guess they were assuming the suspension and tire roll in about 1 degree so with this tire you could get the geometric benefits of having the hub -3degrees to the ground but only the wear of -1degree of camber...