MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 08-13-2006   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
No Boost!

So now that I got everything fixed.. or so it seems, my car will not boost! Once it gets under any sort of rpm / load ( where there should be boost) the car basically does nothing and just quits doing anything lol. It could be fuel cut, but I'm not sure yet. We are going to replace the plugs and take out the MBC since we don't have the correct adapter to make the boost gage work. Beyond that, I'm clueless. The turbo could be shot but I've never blown a turbo before so I am not sure what it would act like. The 14b has quite a bit of play side to side but nothing that I can see as far as in and out. There is also a little bit of oil on the middle section of the turbo. When I had the crazy oil leak, the car boosted like crazy. The MBC was set high and it would cut out around 5.5k RPMS but it boosted fine. This problem just occured since we took the motor out and put it back in last night.

1991 tsi AWD eagle talon turbo
Mostly stock, just exhaust and a MBC
2.0 DOHC turbo 4G63T
Old 08-13-2006   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Re: No Boost!

Check for a free spinning turbo, then check proper wastegate set-up/control, then check for boost leaks.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Yea I just got to read this now. The upper IC piping at the throttle body wasn't completely tightened so it blew off. I am shocked I didn't notice that right away. I guess with all of the problems I've been having, I wasn't expecting something that small.

On another note, everything "works" now. I'm getting the DEATH WHINE out of my turbo I think. When I first start the car, it has decent oil pressure but as it gets warmer, it drops down to like 20% I'd say. There is oil coming out of the turbo and it's whining so I'd have to say the turbo is shot and is possibly creating low oil pressure / whine ? I guess that's the newest question. I will see if anyone responds here before making a different thread. I don't want to whore.
Old 08-14-2006   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Now I got a CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK sound. That's pretty godly right there. I think the turbo went out but it could be worse.. who knows.
Old 08-14-2006   #5
npaulseth

Does it sound like really bad lifter tick, but kind of inconstistant?
Old 08-14-2006   #6
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaulseth
Does it sound like really bad lifter tick, but kind of inconstistant?
eh, I'm not sure. It didn't sound like a lifter tick I've ever heard but it did resemble a "tick" sound. I didn't hear that shit under load. It seemed when the turbo was not boosting at all, the tick was there. Then when you gave it any sort of boost, the tick left and the screaming came. It very well could have just been covered up by the exhaust under load though.

I didn't get a good chance to really look, but I think the crank seal behind the pulley is starting to give again.. Is it possible that the crank has enough shaft play in it to wiggle out the seal? It could be coming from somewhere else but I doubt it.

THINGS I NOTICED WITHOUT HAVING TIME TO LOOK INTO
-Hole in radiator ( car got 3/4 hot ) not really noticing any leaks but there was a steady stream of steam coming from the lower side of the radiator behind the fan.
-small oil drip on ground ( very thin but steady line of oil around the engine side of the timing belt)
-The center section of the turbo where the water / oil lines run is covered in oil.
- Weird ticking / clunk sounds right before I shut off the car.
Old 08-14-2006   #7
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

I pulled the turbo off. I think turbine inside of the exhaust housing was slowly grinding off on the housing. The turbo was filled with a greyish oil. There is massive shaft play but it's all there still. The wastegate should be in working order. I assume it's time to go shopping for a new turbo?
Old 08-15-2006   #8
npaulseth

The greyish oil is regular oil/coolant mixed with the metal shavings of the turbine wheel.
Old 08-15-2006   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

If the compressor side is rubbing hard too, I would be shopping. It is possible for them to get into your engine, but most will collect in the IC.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #10
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes

sounds like you have mulitple issues, and quite a bit of them. Good luck man, take it one battle at a time.
Old 08-15-2006   #11
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enes
sounds like you have mulitple issues, and quite a bit of them. Good luck man, take it one battle at a time.
Very true Enes! The reason I'm concerned about the turbo is because alot of my problems can't really be fixed without a running car! It's hard to see if the car is still over heating / leaking if it doesn't run ;P

The crankshaft seal is bugging me very much. I have no idea why it won't stay sealed.