MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-07-2012   #1
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus
Post intercooler IAT temps

Hey I was wondering if anybody cared to share what sort of post intercooler temps they are getting in their DSM/EVO?

Mine seem to be a lot higher than they use to be, and I am looking for some benchmark numbers.

My air temps just cruising around on the dyno day were about 90* which seems way too high being I was just going down the freeway, out of boost, with an ambient temp of upper 60's. Wonder if my sensor is going bad...

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Post intercooler IAT temps

I monitored my AIT with a GM sensor in the intake manifold. Stock IX turbo peaking at ~25psi and tapering down to 21 psi at redline, Nisei aluminum pipes, a Perrin FMIC, and a MAP v3 ported intake manifold with heat dispersant coating and phenolic spacer gasket. During WOT pulls the temps were always within 10F of ambient.

Here is a graph comparing the manifold intake temps to the MAF intake temps during a 3rd gear pull. Ambient temp was in the low 70's. The sensors were calibrated correctly and read identical when the car is off and fully cool.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #3
Tachyon

Thanks for the well constructed post. 10* more than ambient seems to be about where things should be from what I'm reading. I'm using a GM sensor as well, but mounted in an intercooler pipe, close to the throttle body.

Something will need to be changed. I believe my under-hood temps might be partially to blame. When I open the hood it feels opening the door on an oven after making a pizza (minus the tomato sauce aroma).

Last edited by Tachyon; 05-07-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post

I monitored my AIT with a GM sensor in the intake manifold. Stock IX turbo peaking at ~25psi and tapering down to 21 psi at redline, Nisei aluminum pipes, a Perrin FMIC, and a MAP v3 ported intake manifold with heat dispersant coating and phenolic spacer gasket. During WOT pulls the temps were always within 10F of ambient.

Here is a graph comparing the manifold intake temps to the MAF intake temps during a 3rd gear pull. Ambient temp was in the low 70's. The sensors were calibrated correctly and read identical when the car is off and fully cool.
Great results! My car with the GM AIT in aluminum piping, hot engine bay, are rising 20-30 over ambient. I really want to get another AIT in the engine bay just to monitor those temps.

My intercooler setup is more for consistency in cooling run to run and minimize pressure drop, not the ultimate in cooling.
Old 05-08-2012   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
minus the tomato sauce aroma
Have you considered using one of these as a catch-can?

Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
Tachyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Have you considered using one of these as a catch-can?

Oh shit, I just saw this... that's an idea