MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-13-2010   #1
blackrosenova400

Evo VIII Ecu

Im contemplating installing an Evo VIII ecu into my 1g. Im looking into any insite that anybody has on programming/using the ecu. Also any knowledge on using it under full Speed Density would be helpful. I dont think anyone hear know what sensors need to be swapped by I will figure that out myself since its been done.

Would like to know

1. What program is used for tuning

2. How how is it to set up injectors with it (I do have an aem Injector Driver)

3. How hard would it be to set it up full speed density with my Aem 5 bar
MAP Sensor

4. What would i change with the ecu to tell it Im running a 2.4 liter motor instead of a 2.0.

5. Is there any way to control boost with an electric solenoid with the Evo VIII ecu

+ Any other information you would consider useful with tuning ect..

I am running speed density already with a Maft Pro but I like the idea of not needing a piggy back for full speed density. Plus its far easier to change a tune with an Evo VIII ecu instead of programming an Eprom Chip.

Last edited by blackrosenova400; 01-13-2010 at 01:40 AM..
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #2
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g
Re: Evo VIII Ecu

i DON'T Mean to be OT, but what do u have now for tuning?
I have been thinking about the same thing a bit.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #3
scheides
flips McGee

There's a LOT of great info out there on this, let me start by answering some of your q's:

1-EvoScan for logging and EcuFlash for editing maps and flashing them to the ECU

2-what size injectors? It's not hard, but it's not 'easy'. Just takes some time.

3-easy. the scalings are already figured out for ya and easily available. If you use a pre-fab'd tephra rom, you can use my howto:
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25189

4-nothing, just have to tune for it.

5-Yup, use a GM BCS. I've been using one for years. You can even control boost directly based on your AEM MAP sensor, with error correction

There is a mountain of info, but having some tuning experience already you have your feet wet enough it shouldn't overwelm ya. The most important thread I can point you to is this one:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...dsm-works.html

Without getting to crazy, let's start there. Once you get the ecu in and running, you can do a lot of other things, like wire a wideband directly into the ecu, and of course all of the tephra mod options. I know jrohner has an evo8 ecu in his 2G, maybe he can answer some q's too.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

If you run a MAS, you don't really have to do anything at all for a 2.4l versus a 2.0l, but with speed density, it would require a fueling increase across the board from a 2.0l base map. Not a big deal, since you would be doing a lot more fine tuning with any speed density setup compared to a MAS setup.

I have an Evo 8 ECU and 4 bar MAP sensor sitting here to go into my wife's 1G soon also.

Setting up the injector scaling is a bit trickier with Evo ECU compared to the 1g/2g ECUs. It just takes a little trial and error. If you use that AEM peak and hold injector driver, you would remove your stock injector box to make it a true peak and hold setup and your injector battery voltage table would be drastically different than normal. You don't have to use a peak and hold driver box though, you can just use the stock 1G resistor box, which is the same as how a stock Evo does it.
Old 01-13-2010   #5
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7

I think the 1G ECU and DS-Map is a better setup, and much simpler as well. Plus DS-Map has a full 3D VE map. After playing with DS-Map a bit in my Holset-powered 1G, it makes me feel like swapping out my Evo ECU for a 1G ECU in my 2G.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #6
blackrosenova400

I am curently running a Maft Pro in Speed Density with an eprom ecu and eprom chip. I already own Evoscan so that helps.

I have Fic BluMAx 1650 injectors driven by my Aem Driver box and resistor pack eliminated.

Im pretty sure my boost control solenoind is already a Gm BCS.

The way I see it is it would be easier to tune with the injector drive box, then battery voltage no longer has bearing.

Jrohner, want to trade up for a 1g eprom ecu? I even have an evoscan logging cable.
Old 01-13-2010   #7
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Seems like a lot of modification to make an Evo8 Ecu to work in a DSM And then converting it to MAP.

More difficult then my MSII setup...
MSII runs off of Speed density plus 3d graphs of spark, VE, AFR and easy to tune with.

just throwing that out there

Wouldn't it be easier to sell the Evo 8 ECU and then get DSMLink with MAP?
or isn't that out yet...
Old 01-13-2010   #8
jrohner

Yeah, megasquirt would definitely be the way to go. I looked into it quite a bit a couple years ago, and it looked quite amazing.
Old 01-14-2010   #10
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Link has speed density capabilities and the customer service/support is 2nd to none, I know that I had some weird issue with a laptop I was using and within 2 hrs they released a whole new version just to take care of the problem, even though I remember that they showed me some changes to the settings to cure the problem.

Not to mention the forums are awesome and full of a lot of helpful people with all kinds of setups.

(sorry to be OT)

cliff notes= LINK has SD, and support is awesome
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #11
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post

cliff notes= link has sd, and support is awesome
+1
Old 01-14-2010   #12
blackrosenova400

Uuuugghhhh my thread continously trails off.

I am fully aware of megasquirt and I was aware that dsmlink is speed density capable.

Ecoli, why did you choose to install an evo VIII ecu?
Old 01-14-2010   #13
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

I haven't put it in yet. You can do just about eveything with a 1G ECU that you can with an Evo ECU (SD, boost control, NLTS, dual maps, etc), but the Evo datalogging and tuning software is nicer. And it's nicer to just do a reflash than deal with pulling the ecu out and changing the chip. Some of the ways that the 1G ECU handles things is a bit more stable(especially idle and part throttle drivability) and it's simplier as far as the amount of programming code, lack of OBD2, lack of sensors, etc. I am probably on my 4th 1G ECU or so on that car also, so it gets old spending money them when they fail or have intermittant problems.
Old 01-14-2010   #14
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

^^Not to mention an VIII ECU would be cheaper in the long run vs. Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #16
jrohner

I got my Evo 8 ECU for $66 on ebay, can't really beat that. I think I got it that cheap because it didn't actually say that it was an Evo 8 ECU, but I knew it was by the number on it. I then got a wiring harness for $40, so I could swap the wires on that instead of my car; I can swap back to a 2G ECU in a few minutes if I want to.
Old 01-15-2010   #17
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrosenova400 View Post
Hmmm I may just buy a burner then. Ecoli, do you use tuner pro at all?
Yea, I use TunerPro. There is one thing that TunerPro has over EcuFlash, pretty much realtime tuning ability. If you get an Ostrich instead of a chip burner, you can just keep it hooked to your ECU all the time, so you don't have to deal with chips at all and you can realtime tune.
Old 01-15-2010   #19
jrohner

Another option is to use an emulator cable and a chip extender to just mount the chip outside the ECU. I have this setup in three cars, and it works great. Plus I can plug directly into my emulator for realtime tuning whenever I want -- I can use my one emulator in multiple cars without any hassle.

I've now started using TunerPro to tune the transmission in my 1G auto with a Holset turbo. It's awesome for that too. I really like the comparison features of TunerPro and wish something similar would get added to ECUFlash. TunerPro has a better feel than ECUFlash does, it seems more professional to me. I actually wish I could use TunerPro for reflashing. Don't get me wrong, I like them both; they both have good points and bad points, each having features I wish the other had.

Last edited by jrohner; 01-15-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-17-2010   #20
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

i am going to make the harness for the hatch. it will be easyer and cheap than a 90 eprom and link. It is just to bad I sold my evo 8 ecu since it would not work in the evo when we tryed
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote