MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 07-10-2006   #1
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Palm and DataLogger

I have been trying to figure out what is the best way of doing this right now. I have a 90 GSX and I am on kind of a budget and trying to figure out the best way of just reading the cars outputs.

So there are two loggers that I have found on ebay

First

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1G-DS...QQcmdZViewItem

and Second

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1G-DS...QQcmdZViewItem

However I have a Palm III 3 com. It is kind of an older one that I think needs the update so I am half way there.

Question is should I just buy one off of ebay (if so which one do you recomend) or is there another site I should purchase from

Or is this a complete waste of money and I should try to use the one I have right now and mod a cable some how? If so where is the best place to find free software for this?

Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #2
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus
Re: Palm and DataLogger

Howdy,

Your Palm III will work fine for datalogging. You can get the software for free (MMcd) from http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/ However, I think the current version is 1.8g I have a copy I could email you if you can't find it. As for the cable, I made one out of a CAT5 cable, Dsub connector, and a diode. works great. If you are on a real budget crunch and have an old laptop you can run the palm emulator using MMcd. The cable for the laptop is slightly diffrent but I can show you how it's made.
Old 07-11-2006   #3
tim

I bought the one in the second ebay ad you listed a while ago when they were a little cheaper. Works great.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #4
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

That Would be great if I could get the one that I have working with MMcd . I didn't see the point in buying one for 100.00 when I have most of the components. However I think I might need help setting up the cable for the Palm and the program on the palm. It was given to me and I have never used it before. I do have the base to plug to the computer.
Any other tips would be helpful because I kind of don't know what I am doing but I would like to learn. I am guessing I can go to Radio Shack and buy most of the components?
If you could email me the program that would be great!
Old 07-11-2006   #5
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Just make sure your palm has OS 3.5 or higher or MMCD will not work. If you cannot update to it, just buy a cheap logger on ebay.

You can also get the cables cheap on ebay. I got mine for less than $15.

I think I spent less than $35 to get my logger setup and everything works great.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #6
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Andrew, if you already have serial attachment for the palm then building the cable is cake. Here is a wiring diagram that a quick drew up:

Supplies you will need:

Thin gauge wire. the individual strands of wire out of a network cable work great.

1x low amperage diode (I used radioshack IN4001)

1x dsub connector (male)

I would also recommend getting a soldering iron (and of course, solder) if you don't already have one. You can make this work without one, but it isn't as clean.

Just assemble the wires as in the diagram. Make sure that when you assemble the dsub connector that the wire clips are inserted far enough into the connector to make contact (I had to jam mine in with a paperclip).

Here, is a link to MMcd v1.8g (I hate email)

(rightclick, saveas)
http://ice.linuxbochs.com/mmcd1.8g.zip
Old 07-12-2006   #7
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Thanks for the help. I think I should be able to get the 3.5v I am trying to update it. I haven't ever used this and it didn't come with an instruction manual so I don't know really how to update it or run files on it. I will let you know how it goes. I hope I don't have to buy a new one off of ebay.
Old 07-13-2006   #8
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

If you need any help, I will be working in Rosemount next week.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #9
munster000

Has anybody purchased the first one he posted?
munster000 is offline   Reply With Quote