MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-26-2007   #21
rst95eclipse
Re: Injectors

Who knows. One day I just might dump in some methanol for shits and giggles. I'm aware that the stock rails will flow enough fuel. I just wanted the super cool ginormous rail with "Magnus Motorsports" etched into it. Plug and play saves me the hassle of reaming it and threading it for AN fittings. So, I waste time reaming my stock rail out and threading it. I'll have to buy a drill bit (I don't have something that large) and a tap with AN threading. Then, I'll have to anodize the rail. All of which cost money. I'm just guesstimating, but it might be around $50 in overall savings - which to me is worth not having to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You are reaming out the inside of the bungs so you won't even see it from the outside, it can stay anodized and look fine.
Ever drilled something out? It leaves scratches. Again, I'm anal on how things look and I wouldn't want to anodize the rail twice.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #22
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst95eclipse View Post
Ever drilled something out? It leaves scratches. Again, I'm anal on how things look and I wouldn't want to anodize the rail twice.
How does REAMING something out in the inside scratch the outside? I was a machinist for 9 years, don't start.

You can just say that you paid some extra money for bling, don't try and rationalize it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #23
rst95eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
How does REAMING something out in the inside scratch the outside? I was a machinist for 9 years, don't start.

You can just say that you paid some extra money for bling, don't try and rationalize it.
Lol. I guess I should add machinist costs for reaming out the rail then. So basically, I paid exactly what you're going to pay or maybe I'm up!

Did you ever scratch something you were working with, say an anodized fuel rail?
Old 02-26-2007   #24
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I don't know why you need to anodize the rail unless you're using methanol. E85 isn't corrosive enough to warrant it. So you hog out a stock rail with a big drill bit. Total cost, about $12 for nice bit. Not too tough.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #25
rst95eclipse

I want my setup to be ready to accept methanol, if I ever feel the need to drop some in. The entire fuel system will be very large - from the cell to the injectors and back. Besides, I got the rail for FREEEEEEEE!!

Actually, I think the profits from the SMIM paid for it and then some. But that's another story for another thread.
Old 02-27-2007   #26
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Who knows. One day I just might dump in some methanol for shits and giggles. I'm aware that the stock rails will flow enough fuel. I just wanted the super cool ginormous rail with "Magnus Motorsports" etched into it. Plug and play saves me the hassle of reaming it and threading it for AN fittings. So, I waste time reaming my stock rail out and threading it. I'll have to buy a drill bit (I don't have something that large) and a tap with AN threading. Then, I'll have to anodize the rail. All of which cost money. I'm just guesstimating, but it might be around $50 in overall savings - which to me is worth not having to deal with it.

OT:
i love my Super Cool Ginormous Fuel Rail. Cant wait to put the engine in and get some pics up of the entire setup.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #27
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Lol. I guess I should add machinist costs for reaming out the rail then. So basically, I paid exactly what you're going to pay or maybe I'm up!

Did you ever scratch something you were working with, say an anodized fuel rail?
A reamer that size would cost about $6 and is used in a regular drill. Then again you knew that since you were commenting about it.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #28
rst95eclipse

No, I'd actually bring it to a machinist, such as yourself. So if it's scratched in the process, the machinist/you would have to anodize it again.

I'll put it simply this way. You can buy injectors that are designed for the fuel rail. Or you can make your fuel rail work with the injectors you want. I'd rather not ream out a $175 fuel rail and it's already anodized. The risks outweigh the reward. You however have the opportunity to just buy another rail for $20 and try again. Once you have it done the way you like it, you get to anodize it.

By no means am I tell you or anyone else to not use the Ford injectors. It's a great deal to make them work on a fuel rail that is cheap and accessible to get your hands on. I'm just saying in my situation, it is not the right thing to do. You can simply accept that or let this thread drag on.
Old 02-28-2007   #29
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Drag on, how about using a lathe and turning down the end to fit the mitsu rail, then you will not scratch your anodizing.

~John
Old 02-28-2007   #31
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

I was just posting up a different option.

~John
Old 02-28-2007   #32
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
How much does a lathe cost?
How much would it cost for me to use LSE's (probably wouldn't let me)?
How much for LSE to do it?

All options point to one thing in my situation - JUST BUY PTE.
Wow, get angry.

We would charge $40, the same price that PTE charges to perform the service

Otherwise, just buy the bolt-in ones.

Last edited by niterydr; 02-28-2007 at 04:07 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #33
Thor06
11 Seconds to Freedom

Send a message via AIM to Thor06

GOD DAMN YOU DEAD HORSE! Ha ha ha....
Old 02-28-2007   #34
rst95eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Wow, get angry.
Amazing how you can see that from my typed words. Just raising points. I didn't find it as bad as your "maybe" escapade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Otherwise, just buy the bolt-in ones.
Which is exactly what I'll do. No need to drive everywhere. Might as well have them shipped to my door, ready to go.