MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-25-2005   #21
SlimStyleDSM

Send a message via AIM to SlimStyleDSM
Re: Airbag Removal

Seriously, after my accident two weeks ago...I HEART AIRBAGS! The thing either saved my life or saved me from even more serious injuries. They work, and like Eric, I didn't have any burns or anything either from it. I recommend leaving them, just my 2 cents after recently using them in a 70mph head on accident.
SlimStyleDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #22
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Honestly, I wish this thread would have been locked from the beginning because this is quite possibly, one of the worst and most stupid modifications anyone could possibly ever make to their airbag equipped vehicle.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing

Last edited by Jakey; 03-25-2005 at 12:53 AM..
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #23
santa
Boost Spike

Drives: 93 talon Automagickinda....
Send a message via AIM to santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningGSX
When you say stuff like this, it makes it very obvious you don't understand.Any current going to the bag results in a dead short at the shorting pin(or bridge bar as you call it).I know you think your smart because you go to whatever school you go to, but this is junior high physics here
hmm lets think here for a second... did I ever claim to be smart anywhere in this topic or anywhere else for that matter??? Nope. Second, not every single bag system has bridge bars. I know that the system is dead when you unplug it, only if the system has a bridge bar. And last I clearly understand.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2005   #24
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa
hmm lets think here for a second... did I ever claim to be smart anywhere in this topic or anywhere else for that matter??? Nope. Second, not every single bag system has bridge bars. I know that the system is dead when you unplug it, only if the system has a bridge bar. And last I clearly understand.

Kevin
We are and have been talking about his 2g airbags, no others.At no time did I speak of anything other than 2G DSM airbags.2G DSM airbags have shorting pins.Considering we are talking about nothing other than 2G DSM airbags w/shorting pins, I don't know why you would be speaking of any others and I don't know why you think I'm speaking of any others.

Also, make up your mind.First you say "even with the bridge bars they still can deploy with out warning", then above you said "I know that the system is dead when you unplug it".Seriously, I apologize for being a prick, but you admitted you're not smart at this topic, why do you keep posting about it?

Last edited by LightningGSX; 03-25-2005 at 03:14 AM..
LightningGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #25
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
ok the bag is off and i didnt blow my head off. Now the problem i ran into is that i cant find a way to run the wires without it wrapping around the steering column.... LightningGSX how have you solved this mystery in the past with mounting the screens and such. I took off the steering wheel and saw that rotating thingy that the srs wire and cruise control go through but how do you add wires to go through there? Any suggestions would be great.
I disassemble the air bag clockspring(rotating thingy), rig up sliding contacts using either conductive epoxy or adhesive backed copper foil.Its not easy at all and considering the AFC has both chassis and signal grounds, I'm not sure if it would like the sliding contacts.

I believe some vehicles with other controls in the steering wheel(radio, temp, etc) have clocksprings with enough wires to run the AFC.I've always wanted to check them out but never had a chance.Maybe hit up a junkyard and find a clockspring off one of those vehicles and make it work on your car.That would be the easiest and most reliable way I can think of.
Old 03-25-2005   #26
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey
Honestly, I wish this thread would have been locked from the beginning because this is quite possibly, one of the worst and most stupid modifications anyone could possibly ever make to their airbag equipped vehicle.
I'm going to have to disagree with you this time Jakey. Tom wasn't asking peoples opinions on airbag safety (that is a whole other topic, which you should feel free to start), he was just asking how to remove his airbag and install an AFC in place. This thread has gone off on a few tangents, but I'm glad to see Tom and Eric keeping it on track.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #27
santa
Boost Spike

Right here is where I stated that not all..."Well not all systems have that safty feature."......and this statement that you said.."It takes in excess of 9 volts to fire it" is incorrect... you can set them off with a 9 volt battery I've seen that personaly. And where in this topic did I state "You admitted you're not smart at this topic" ...this topic..? I never said this topic exactly. You said, you think your all smart because of the school you go to. where the hell did I say that? find it.. I'll pay you a $1,000 if you find it anywhere! They are still dangerous even with them removed. It would be stupid to not take the proper safty steps with handling an airbag that hasn't been deployed. The DERM sensor holds a certain voltage also when disconnected, which is also in the airbag unit itself which also holds the detonator. I dont know why this is still going on but whatever I guess. I don't appreciate the personal attack either just because I'm at a school learning doesnt mean you can rip on me.

Kevin

ps... Sorry about all the spelling and Grammar mistakes.. You all know I suck with that shit.

Last edited by santa; 03-25-2005 at 03:42 AM..
santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #28
santa
Boost Spike

staying on topic like TalonTSiDude said. Be careful is all im saying really.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2005   #29
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
The DERM sensor holds a certain voltage also when disconnected, which is also in the airbag unit itself which also holds the detonator
Nope wrong again, The Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module(DERM) is not part of the airbag unit itself on DSMs or any other vehicle I know of.

Last edited by LightningGSX; 03-25-2005 at 04:33 AM..
LightningGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #30
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
"It takes in excess of 9 volts to fire it" is incorrect... you can set them off with a 9 volt battery I've seen that personaly.
WTF?
Old 03-25-2005   #31
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningGSX
WTF?
That is kinda funny i must say.

ill have to look into the clockspring, as for right now i just have enought slack to make it go around.

Quote:
And why would you want to have upside down half the time?
Umm.... do you drive in circles a lot? because its only upside down if im turning and then i wouldnt be looking at it, id usually be looking at the road.

as for the comments about safety, The way i see it, the way i drive i have my seat reclined an aweful lot (no im not a gangsta, just poor posture and im too tall) so if i were to get in an accident where the airbag would deploy i would prolly be slammed pretty hard into the bag breaking my own neck. Not to say that this would happen, i know airbags have saved a lot of lives, but this thread was not about safety, just how to do it.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #32
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I will probably take mine out when I get a full 10 point roll cage in there and harnesses to hold me in.
Old 03-25-2005   #33
slowHonduh
DSM Rapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
I will probably take mine out when I get a full 10 point roll cage in there and harnesses to hold me in.
I took mine out of my honda for this reason and it didn't blow up in my face and i didn't disconnect the battery. just uplugged it and pulled it out. then i took my guage cluster out and broke the bulb that lights up the SRS light.