MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 12-29-2008   #21
SmokingTires

Drives: Silver 2006 Evo MR
Re: Need electrical help!!!

Update.

The headlight issue is solved. The headlights blew two fuses. Bother were suppose to be 20a fuses but there were 10am ones there. Replaced and fixed.

When I went out to my car to try to look at the wiring, it was a no start. All of the gauge lights were on without the key being in it.

The issues all seem to be from the same place, the same wiring harness as Scheides listed above. The actual connectors weren't that bad, however when you pop out the male ends that are held to the frame with a bracket, the wires were extremely corroded. They were shorting out and turning on and off different things. After removing them from the bracket and shaking them around, we managed to get the car to start. I wasn't going to risk driving it so I called for a tow.

After speaking with the General Manager at Metro Mitsubishi, he arranged a rental car (since they were out of loaners as I had been told by the service writer earlier until at least Thursday), and they will be looking at my car over the next day or two. I figure rather than do it myself, they could re-wire the engine harness under warranty.

Also good news, Scheides has his car back up and running after a couple hours of hardwiring his car pas the corrosion.

-Mike
SmokingTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #22
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Yup, glorified DSM. Except DSM's don't normally have electrical issues like this. Oh well, at least it doesn't start on fire. I'd offer help, but you guys got in nailed anyways.

Last edited by MustGoFaster; 12-29-2008 at 10:57 PM..
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #23
SmokingTires

A+ for Metro Mitsu!!!!!

Talked to the service writer at 8:30am. My car was done shortly after Noon. I picked it up about an hour ago and it runs great. Nothing seems to be changed. Clutch safety switch still disconnected. Only 1 total mile including loading it up, unloading for the flat bed, driving it in over night and the test drive. Good to see they respect the owners property.

They rewired the whole harness, then re-routed it so that if water does drip again, it doesn't drain onto the harness. They then sealed up the hole with undercoating to stop future leaks.

And all under warranty.

I'm quite happy
Old 12-30-2008   #24
scheides
flips McGee

Wow.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #25
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Wow, that's pretty damn fast for a harness removal/installation!
Old 12-30-2008   #26
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

hm, 2 points for the dealership.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #27
SmokingTires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post

It may have something to do with that I went from talking to a service writer during the day about a minor problem. To talking to the General Manager that night when nothing else was around. I have to assume that helped push it along.

But still, I'm very happy with their speed and quality of work. Highly recommend Metro!
Old 12-31-2008   #28
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Great to hear! Thats about the only positive feedback I've heard about Metro in years.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #29
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingTires View Post
It may have something to do with that I went from talking to a service writer during the day about a minor problem. To talking to the General Manager that night when nothing else was around. I have to assume that helped push it along.

But still, I'm very happy with their speed and quality of work. Highly recommend Metro!
Did they actually replace the harness, or just splice them together like I did? Go look, report back.
Old 12-31-2008   #30
SmokingTires

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Did they actually replace the harness, or just splice them together like I did? Go look, report back.

They cleaned up the wires, spliced them and used a new electrical plug as it was pretty rotted out.
Old 12-31-2008   #31
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Wow, that is impressive, especially for Metro.
Old 12-31-2008   #32
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingTires View Post
They cleaned up the wires, spliced them and used a new electrical plug as it was pretty rotted out.
Ahh, that's why it was so fast. I was under the impression they replaced the whole harness.
Old 01-13-2009   #33
SmokingTires

Well it apparently wasn't fixed well enough... It did the same thing again this morning. Dash lights on, no start. Out of the blue! It was fine last night. It took a few more cranks, but no lights.

Everytime it has happened badly was after it stat over night in my garage. I was out driving in the bad snow last night. I've got to think it's related to the snow melting over night that causes the problem.

It' 12pm right now, I'm late for work, and the tow won't be here till 1:15pm. The good news is they will have a loaner car waiting for me this time. No relying on rides.
Old 01-13-2009   #34
scheides
flips McGee

Did they *actually* rewire it last time? I bet they just cleaned the connections and called it good?
Old 01-13-2009   #35
SnoEclipse

Drives: 07 Eclipse GT

Run to AEI Electronics in Golden Valley and get some of that Caig Labs contact cleaner & preservative I mentioned in #17. Spray the hell out of your suspect connectors with the cleaner first then the preserver.
Old 01-13-2009   #36
SmokingTires

Quote:
Did they *actually* rewire it last time? I bet they just cleaned the connections and called it good?

I'm starting to doubt that they did. But given that it's -14degrees out, I don't feel like tearing into it right now. I'll let them fix it and go pick up my loaner car.

-Mike
Old 01-13-2009   #37
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoEclipse View Post
Run to AEI Electronics in Golden Valley and get some of that Caig Labs contact cleaner & preservative I mentioned in #17. Spray the hell out of your suspect connectors with the cleaner first then the preserver.
That's the thing, its not just the connectors. It's where the wires go into the plug, and the plug itself that get super corroded and break.
Old 01-14-2009   #38
SmokingTires

Quote:
They had hardwired a few last time, and repaired the others.

They dumped water all over the car and couldn't get anything to leak into the area. They aren't sure where it was getting in (my car was pretty snow packed that night). They hardwired the whole harness. Soddered (sp?) and heat wrapped. Pretty well done. It shouldn't be an issue even if more water gets in.

I got to drive a 2008 Galant around for two days. It wasn't all bad. Happy to have it back again. They made my car a priority again. Happy with the work