MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 07-09-2004   #1
Phaze1ne

Send a message via AIM to Phaze1ne
My friend just bought a 240sx and got it for dirt cheap. He only got it for $150 and the reason is because that car is full of rust. There is on the doors, hood, roof and fenders, and some on the inside by the door sill. My friend ask me how to fix up his car so all the rust is gone so he can repaint the car. Me, I don't know, so that's why I need some info from you guys. What are the steps to bringing this 240sx back to it's original self?

PM me for me details.
Phaze1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #2
vapour24

Tournaments Won: 6

sandblasting should work for some of the minor rust
Old 07-09-2004   #3
Emcee gsxtc

Send a message via AIM to Emcee gsxtc
He might actually have to cut out sections and weld in new metal if its really bad.
It will take tons and tons of fiberglass, bondo, body filler, etc to make it look like new again. Expect entire days of sanding followed by a day of more fiberglassing etc. That can go on for weeks until desired body is reached.

I have a crx I got for $100. When we stripped out the interior to examine the body, we could see through from inside to outside in multiple places. I havent even begun on it but I know it will take at least 2 months of solid work.

Pick Two: FAST CHEAP RELIABLE
Emcee gsxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #4
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
He is right, you are going to have to cut out the rust and weld in a new patch. Then use filler to even everything out. If he had to ask you how to do it, I am guessing it is too much work for you guys to accomplish. Either way it is going to take a long time. You may consider putting in new pannels. I hope you are good at welding. :goodluck:
Old 07-09-2004   #5
1ViciousGSX
Admin

If the car has that much rust, it's probably not worth the effort. The best (and hardest) way to fix it would be to completely strip everything off the car and then have it acid dipped. That will remove all the rust for good. But you might not have much car left to work with if it's that bad.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #6
520Talon

A little trick I have seen used car guys use is expanding foam. You spray it in from the back side of the missing panel. It is easally formed to the desired shape. From there you could put some fiberglass over it and then bondo it or just skin the foam with bondo and paint. If he is just looking to have something to beat around with I would use this method. It is not as pemanate as welding in new pieces but it is cheaper and faster and done right it will look just as good. It just won't last as long before it starts to wave or pock (1-2 years).
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #7
Phaze1ne

Send a message via AIM to Phaze1ne
The rust isn't big, just lots of little spots of rust everywhere. We might just sand it, but what do we need to do after sanding it?

PM me for me details.
Phaze1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004   #8
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaze1ne@Jul 9 2004, 01:24 PM
The rust isn't big, just lots of little spots of rust everywhere. We might just sand it, but what do we need to do after sanding it?
Fill in any pits with filler, sand it smooth, prime it, sand it smooth, paint it.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote