MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-16-2005   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
FMIC install.

Does anyone know a good site that has instructions on how to Install a FMIC, I have one coming and i really dont want to screw it up. It looks pretty easy but i know you have to do some cutting to the bumper and such. I checked vfaq and thats a big nothing.
Thanks in advance.
Tom
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #2
Raptor
ConArtist

Re: FMIC install.

No Freaking wood screws.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #3
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I promise, no woodscrews. But thank you for pointing that out and being no help. Go put another hole in the blue beast mike. LOL any good answers?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 03-16-2005   #4
Raptor
ConArtist

Doing a CLEAN front mount install is not that easy (regardless of what you may think), I seriously recommend you find someone to help you that doesn't need to ask how on an online forum and if it costs you a few bucks, it will be money well spent. If you insist on doing it yourself, take your time and don't ghetto it with things like zip ties and wood screws or duct tape. There is going to be no one simple answer to your question either, depends on the intercooler you bought, how the pipes are routed and what you have to work with.

Last edited by CRAIG; 03-17-2005 at 04:16 AM..
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #5
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

What did you order for a front mount Tom? I do not want to get into an argument, but I truly hope that you do some serious thinking about installing the kit yourself.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #6
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

If you can put together a LEGO kit, you can install an intercooler. Common sense, my friend.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #7
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Tom basically you are going to want to start with removing your stock IC pipes, if you don't have clamps for your couplers then I would save some of them that are in decent shape. My recommendation would be to get new ones that are stronger and that you have to tightened with a rachet or nut driver, I think they are the T-bolt style ones. Once you have all your stock IC piping off then remove your intake and MAF, depending on what piping your going to run this might be in the way. Then I remove the battery for extra room and so you don't hit it and short anything out.

Now that you have a decent amount of room in the engine compartment you can now start the removal of the front bumper. If it has never been off before it can be a little bit of a pain but just keep at it and it will come. There are a lot of screws to remove. Once you get the bumper cover off then remove all the plastic fill in pieces that are by your radiator and such (anything that might get in the way.

This is all the stuff you can do to prep the car for the install. Now you will need to say what piping you are going to run and what route its going to take. Also the size and dimensions of the intercooler will be needed. And what size piping you are going to use.

Yes its not that hard to do, but to get centered and level takes some patience and some adjustments. Also you might need to modify your bumper as well to make it fit depending on the size of the FMIC.

So Tom give some more info on what you are putting in because its too hard to assist you without knowing.

Hope this helps.

CRAIG
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #8
TheBlizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D.
If you can put together a LEGO kit, you can install an intercooler. Common sense, my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Doing a CLEAN front mount install is not that easy (regardless of what you may think).
I think it takes more than common sense if you want to do it right.

CRAIG
Old 03-17-2005   #9
tpunx99GSX

Finally a great answer, Thank you craig. I didnt need a smart ass answer like mike so arrogantly put. it was a simple question, and needed some good advice, thanks again craig.
The Front mount was one off of ebay (i know i know, hear me out though) The reason i would consider buying this off of ebay is for the simple fact that all the feedback about the previous sales of this particular one has been great, and it is from a local shop so if the tanks blow or a leak or i dont like it i can just drive 20 min and make them fix it and such. Im getting the IC piping from another local shop that has a good rep for doing great work with welds and mandral bending.
Im not worried about the install because im going to dedicate a whole weekend if need be to do this. im just going to keep at it. Ive learned with these cars if something is in the way and can be removed to help it should be removed and put back if need be. I will post pics after its done and see what you all think of my work.
Old 03-17-2005   #10
tpunx99GSX

heres the link to it BTW. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742
Old 03-17-2005   #11
TheBlizzard

Well I assume you are going to run 2.5" IC piping (recommended) and by the FMIC design you will be able to use a shorter piping route instead of going up by the fender well like the Greddy ones.

If you are going to have a shop fabricate the IC pipes for you I would suggest having the car there so they can mock them up for you. Otherwise if they just do it by the seat of their pants you will need to modifty them yourself or keep bringing them back. I know when I did my APEXI Skyling FMIC on my 2G it was super easy because Nash had already had it on another 2G and the pipes were made by Isaac at Elite special for that application. So it was a perfect fit the first time. This is why its nice for whomever is making the pipes to have the car there. Especially if you do not have the tools or equiptment to modify the pipes to fit properly.

I didn't read the auction to see if they supply brackets to mount the FMIC but if they don't you might want to search around and see what other people have used for that style of FMIC or if need be you could have a shop make you some.

There was a thread on a site I frequent about them "ebay FMICs" and there wasn't (atleast when I read it) any bad things that were said about them. Overall quality was good but there was no dyno testing to see if they actually perform really good. But I can say one thing for sure, they will out perform a stock IC by a long shot and for the price you can't really beat them. I wouldn't use them for any "extreme" applications but the FP 28 you have it will be just fine I am sure.

CRAIG
Old 03-17-2005   #12
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar

Actually I haven't heard many bad things about cheap ebay cores. Not like you are arunning a huge turbo or anything either.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #13
tpunx99GSX

Yeah, when i decided to purchase it i was told that Nabr had a thread on that and they said the same thing. that its cheap but it was still better then the stock ones and this looks good and from what ive researched it performs pretty good. So we will have to see.
yes im planning on going 2.5 then using silicone adapters from RRE to adapt from the 2.5 to the 3 in outlets.
Old 03-17-2005   #14
Anduinlight
The Ghey Chef!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Tundra

since we're on the subject, how difficult is it to get piping for the cores?
I looked around and I could find much (hence why i haven't bought an IC yet)
07 Toyota Tundra - For pretty much everything else
Anduinlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #15
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Tom, I must say, nice choice in IC's. Unlike some ebay IC's, that one actually has the internal turbulators to mix/swirl the air around so it makes contact with the cooling surfaces. Looks like a good deal. You may have an issue with your turbo outlet, if it's like a stock 2G. That also depends on the pipe kit.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #16
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Doesn't look like THAT bad of a fmic. The cooling tubes are actually larger than the fins, which is kinda cool, means more flow, I wish they'd run a staggered fin design for the cooling aspect, but for the price, you can't beat it.
Old 03-18-2005   #17
tpunx99GSX

I went to Neu Art today, a local shop that did a 1500HP drag civic thats sitting in their garage. They will be doing my piping and Install, I would have liked to do the install myself but being that its custom piping they are already doing the mock up so might as well do the install. The piping and install together is going to be $550.
So altogether its around $750 so im really excited to get this done.
What do you mean i might have a problem with the outlet? this is something that i will wanna tell the tech that will be installing it. If you mean the size of the outlet i will be getting some silicone adapters.
Old 03-18-2005   #18
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite

the stock turbo outlet faces the passengerside. For this type of I/C you should have the elbow cut off and rewelded so that it faces the driverside. that way the pipe can just run straight into the driverside section of the I/C and then the passengerside can go straight to the Intake.

I think I have pictures of my I/C piping in my gallery over on Xrated or even possibly on here. If you wanted to see what I was talking about.
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #19
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Brian is talking about having a J-pipe made. I am sure the tech knows this if he knows anything about DSM's though.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005   #20
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I think we have a core just like that one in the shop right now. The turbulators are a bit weak on the inside, so cooling might not be the very best and it is only 3" thick, but the 12" tall more than makes up for that. 3" x 12" is enough flow area for around 850hp, so it should be halfway decent for 400-500hp even with the lackluster turbulators inside.