MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-22-2003   #21
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally posted by RDlaserRST@Oct 22 2003, 12:20 AM
1000 for a custom fmic i think not. you can get a very nice big core for 400 bucks and piping would only be 100-200 bucks just get the pipes and bring them to a exhuast place and have them weld it for you. can be done cheaper if you buy used parts and such.
Please don't listen to Mr. Ghetto Fabulous here, I wouldn't trust an exhaust shop to make a decent exhaust for my car, let along intercooler piping that will need to hold high preasure levels. Completely different welding techniques need to be used for IC piping and exhaust piping. Try preasurizing an exhaust sysyem to 25+ PSI and watch it blow every weld (VPE style yo).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003   #22
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The 2G stock cores are the best to use for a custom FMIC setup since they are a bit more efficient. 1G cores are probably easier and cheaper to get ahold of though.
Old 10-22-2003   #23
RDlaserRST

Tournaments Won: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude+Oct 22 2003, 12:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TalonTSiDude @ Oct 22 2003, 12:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RDlaserRST@Oct 22 2003, 12:20 AM
1000 for a custom fmic i think not. you can get a very nice big core for 400 bucks and piping would only be 100-200 bucks just get the pipes and bring them to a exhuast place and have them weld it for you. can be done cheaper if you buy used parts and such.
Please don't listen to Mr. Ghetto Fabulous here, I wouldn't trust an exhaust shop to make a decent exhaust for my car, let along intercooler piping that will need to hold high preasure levels. Completely different welding techniques need to be used for IC piping and exhaust piping. Try preasurizing an exhaust sysyem to 25+ PSI and watch it blow every weld (VPE style yo). [/b][/quote]
im saying most places do have good welders there and probably could do it very well. im not saying having them make the piping either you get the piping and either weld it yourself or have a good welder do it. the spearco intercoolers i am talking about come with end tanks. go check them out on ebay i know a couple people that use them and are very statisfied.
Old 10-23-2003   #24
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Quote:
Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@Oct 22 2003, 12:40 AM
The 2G stock cores are the best to use for a custom FMIC setup since they are a bit more efficient. 1G cores are probably easier and cheaper to get ahold of though.
The 1G cores at better, the 2G cores are smaller. The only thing good about the 2G cores are the larger inlet/outlet pipe, which you would be cutting off anyways.
Old 10-23-2003   #25
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Oops, I got the 2 mixed up...for some reason I was thinking that the 1G had the better endtanks and the 2G got the better core.
Old 10-23-2003   #26
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
yeah maybe you should read more and play with your "bunchies" less..eh?...EH?? :stick:
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003   #27
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
:bj: one man team, huh Chris?
Old 10-27-2003   #28
PSI2HI

Send a message via AIM to PSI2HI
Quote:
Originally posted by v8klla@Oct 21 2003, 06:36 PM

Why would a fairly well known shop fabricate and sell them if they made no difference?

I would hope your not refering to Dejon? IMO their products suck. Idk how those flanges they use seal and not warp when they weld to them, in that perspective now you see how they came up w/ the idea of using SMIC's for FMIC's. What do they care if their products suck or not, they dont have to use them :P .

Nick
PSI2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003   #29
PSI2HI

Quote:
Originally posted by v8klla@Oct 21 2003, 06:36 PM
BTW ~ I have a supra smic on my car, and if I had the choice between this and the two sidemounts in the front, I would definately go with the front sidemounts...Just my opinion though!
Once again, IMO i would take the supra SMIC over 2 DSM SMIC's as a FMIC. Supra SMIC's have been proven to support 600+ whp on supra's and the worthless DSM SMIC's cant even support the measly 14b. Seems like a no brainer there, but what do i know :uh: .

Nick
Old 10-27-2003   #30
1ViciousGSX
Admin

How about this? If you are willing to spend $400+ on buying the intercooler/s and $200 on custom piping, why not just spend a couple of hundred more and get the GReddy 24R FMIC? :idea:

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003   #31
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Or a buschur race kit....
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003   #32
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
or the supra sidemount i'm trying to sell
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003   #33
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI2HI@Oct 27 2003, 06:36 PM
I would hope your not refering to Dejon? IMO their products suck. Idk how those flanges they use seal and not warp when they weld to them, in that perspective now you see how they came up w/ the idea of using SMIC's for FMIC's. What do they care if their products suck or not, they dont have to use them :P .

Nick
I wouldn't go as far to say that Dejon's product sucks, but it is deffinately lower quality than other higher priced kits (there is a reason why they are cheaper than everyone else). I would personally never run an intercooler or intercooling piping from Dejon since they use such thin flanges that have been know to have sealing issues. I personally think a few extra dollars is worth paying for 3x thickness flanges. As far as intake piping goes though, you really can't beat Dejon since they offer such a wide variety of pipes to fit a wide variety of setups. Another thing about Dejon, don't use them if you are trying to make a "show car", their powdercoating is low quality...just enough to get the job done. Please nobody take this as me dogging Dejon b/c that is not my intention, I am only stating my opinion. For those on a budget (aren't we all) Dejon is deffinately a good company to look for a wide variety of products from.
Old 10-28-2003   #34
PSI2HI

If you look @ all the variety of intake they have, 75% of them are completly pointless designs. All you need would be 2.5"(small turbo's), 3" (large turbo's, 2G MAS), 3.5" (GM MAS), and 4" (TSO4 compressor). All the rest are some very ugly designs.
I will agree w/ their powdercoating, i looked @ some examples of their woprk some vendors had on display and was not very impressed.

Nick
Old 11-05-2003   #35
RDlaserRST

Tournaments Won: 6

...i dont think dejon tool power coats there stuff. i think they just spray paint it. i once had a dejon tool uicp blow throw gm maf one i ended up selling it cause i really didnt like it now looking for someone else to make me one. as for buying the greddy 24r i thought we were talking about 1g's here
Old 11-05-2003   #36
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
Quote:
Originally posted by RDlaserRST@Nov 5 2003, 12:03 AM
...i dont think dejon tool power coats there stuff. i think they just spray paint it. i once had a dejon tool uicp blow throw gm maf one i ended up selling it cause i really didnt like it now looking for someone else to make me one. as for buying the greddy 24r i thought we were talking about 1g's here
Dejon Tool powdercoats, not paints. Not the best quality, but oh well.
Old 11-05-2003   #37
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by RDlaserRST@Nov 5 2003, 12:03 AM
as for buying the greddy 24r i thought we were talking about 1g's here
Are we? Nobody has said yet what kind of car this is going on.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 11-05-2003   #38
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Well the topic says 1g FMIC in it... but never really focused on what car.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003   #39
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Nov 5 2003, 01:36 PM
Well the topic says 1g FMIC in it... but never really focused on what car.
My point exactly

(#Y#)
Old 11-05-2003   #40
PSI2HI

Either way quit being a cheap ass and buy a FMIC.

By the time you got done ghettoing 1G SMIC's together w/ piping for an extra few dollars you could more than likely have a nice bolt on piece. IMO its not worth the hassle. Why take 1 POS and combine it w/ a few more to make a big POS?

Nick