MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 12-13-2004   #1
scheides
flips McGee

Rear Caliper Locking up

Ok to get a used rear one, or better to just replace it with a new factory one? Should I replace both rears @ the same time? Currently I'm running a stock setup with metalmaster pads, was planning on upgrading rotors, lines, and pads in the spring. Looks like I might be doing this early; after driving all of 3 blocks this morning, my rear driver's side rotor was glowing brighter than a turbo/exh mani after 10-15 intense dyno runs.

The other thing it ***could*** be is a stuck e-brake lever, but am I correct in thinking that if the caliper is locked shut then there would be no force/tension on the cable (initially)?

Motherfuckers, just in time for sub-zero wind chill season. Yea!

-scheides
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #2
dsm95gsxer

Is it a 2g or a 1g? If it's a 2g the parking brake has seperate pads on the inside of the rotor. Not sure about the 1st gens though but would assume it's the same. If you had to you could just replace the one (caliper) that is causing you problems until you find a setup that you want to upgrade to.
dsm95gsxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #3
scheides
flips McGee

it's a 1g.
Old 12-13-2004   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
I had the same problem a week ago. My pad actually broke off and I warped my rotor beyond repair. It could very well be your ebrake lever is stuck, but chances are it is your caliper the froze. If you want a good deal on stock brake setup, just go to brake equipment supply in NE mnpls. I got my rotor, caliper, and pads ( caliper pre loaded) for 74 dollars.
Old 12-13-2004   #5
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

If you have small brakes, it will be that price. Otherwise it is more like 200 dollars for the brakes. I just thought of that!
Old 12-13-2004   #6
scheides
flips McGee

was it your front or rear?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the ebrake, as it was only one side that was locked.
Old 12-13-2004   #8
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
ebrake also can be only stuck on one side, i had mine do that, and the whole rottor was red hot... what you have to do is remove the caliper, and rotor and clean out the stuff.. and make sure the springs are not stuck, because a spring returns the e-brake back to un-locked position.

-E
Old 12-13-2004   #9
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Mine was just the caliper, ebrake was fine. Take the tire off and look!
Old 12-13-2004   #10
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
You dont have to replace in pairs.. pads you should but you dont have to. Brake fluid pressure is the same either way.

I have had to rebuild the rear passenger caliper twice becuase it seized up both times from crap getting under the boots. After the second rebuild its working great. Just get a rebuild kit and go at it. Kits are like 20 bucks per side.

Either its seized and there is constant pressure on the rotor (which ground mine down beyond repair) or your ebrake cable could be tight on one side (yes it can be stuck on one side if the cable is binding).
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #11
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Re: Rear Caliper Locking up

I missed one of your questions. Yes mine was the rear passenger caliper. If you can find a new caliper cheaper, I would advise that instead of rebuilding your first time. It would be much safer and you will get one that already operates to save you the trouble and work.
Old 12-22-2004   #12
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Rear Caliper Locking up

Doh! Stuck e-brake cable, just on that side. I replaced both for good measure. Thx for the ideas guys.

-scheides