MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-21-2007   #21
dedlewamp

Drives: 4G63
Re: 2G MAS vs EVO MAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
As for the 60lb/min, that's what I've heard the EVO MAS's will meter up to. That's all hearsay. I have no clue at what level a 2g MAS pins at, but isn't it at something like 2800hz, whatever that translates to? I just know that once I see I've pinned it, it's time to check the little FakeMas box
2G MAS is good up to around 50lbs/minute unhacked, and around 60lbs/minute hacked. Or, high enough to support around 400-500 HP with the proper tuning. Don't forget about FakeMAF for you DSMLink guys!
dedlewamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #22
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

OK. I'm running 40-45lbs/min right now on my unhacked, and will be running hopefully in the mid 60's on the new setup. I'd prefer not to hack it, so I think first I will try it unhacked with the FakeMaf, and if it works just leave it at that. But if I notice issues, then I'll try it hacked and see how that works. And decided which of the 2 setups work best for me.

Or hopefully they will have the speed density compatibility by then.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #23
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
OK. I'm running 40-45lbs/min right now on my unhacked, and will be running hopefully in the mid 60's on the new setup. I'd prefer not to hack it, so I think first I will try it unhacked with the FakeMaf, and if it works just leave it at that. But if I notice issues, then I'll try it hacked and see how that works. And decided which of the 2 setups work best for me.

Or hopefully they will have the speed density compatibility by then.
Hack it.

DSMLink compensates for it very well, after idle and part throttle there is very little, if no difference in readings.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #24
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Is this the compensation you used? This is what comes out of the manual and is what someone posted up on te site. I guess it's a bit generic in saying that these settings are for a hacked 2g mas. But hacked to what point? Just the 2 side honeycombs? The sides and the bottom?

2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #25
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Is this the compensation you used? This is what comes out of the manual and is what someone posted up on te site. I guess it's a bit generic in saying that these settings are for a hacked 2g mas. But hacked to what point? Just the 2 side honeycombs? The sides and the bottom?

The base adjustment in DSMLink for the hacked MAF are for both sides and bottom removed. It worked really well when I ran my hacked 2g MAF. Felt like it was stock.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 09-21-2007   #26
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX View Post
It worked really well when I ran my hacked 2g MAF. Felt like it was stock.
Quit it, you're getting me all excited.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #27
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
Quit it, you're getting me all excited.
Doesn't take much does it??

(#Y#)
Old 09-21-2007   #28
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

After shaking my teeth out with a 1500 rpm idle, the word stock brings tears to my eyes.

Old 09-21-2007   #29
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
After shaking my teeth out with a 1500 rpm idle, the word stock brings tears to my eyes.
WOW, what kind of messed up maps were you running?

(#Y#)
Old 09-21-2007   #30
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
I'm at this point right now. I've got my link on it's way, and everything else for my heavier, simpler street setup, but I've been looking for an EVO maf, and they're tough to find. If the 2G maf is that similar, maybe I'll just do that. I'm going to have to clamp it anyways if they only meter ~60 lbs/min.
I have a brand spankin new evo Maf if anyone wants to buy it.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #31
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

My idle is only 1200 RPM with the AEM. When is V3 supposed to come out, any clue yet?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #32
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
My idle is only 1200 RPM with the AEM. When is V3 supposed to come out, any clue yet?
I dont think anyone knows (including Tom Dorris) when V3 will come out. I know it is really anticipated. But they have a huge list of things to do for this version upgrade, including possible boost control, MAF translator, and a million other things.
I spoke with Tom Dorris over email because i needed to upgrade to V2 and i asked him if i upgrade to V2 is V3 gonna come out next week, and he replied with "If V3 comes out within the next month or 2 i will give you a free upgrade, that is how confident i am that it wont be coming out." LOL
I think they are pretty far out still, but who knows, i know they released some screen shots of the new version, it looks a million times better.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #33
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

I don't know why you aem guys have such high idles.
Hell my stealth idled at 900 with agressive cams and no IAC motor, most aem cars I tune idle like stock, if not better.
Old 09-22-2007   #34
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Yeah, my car with AEM idles at 900rpm. I was wondering the same about Steve's and Jet's cars. I guess I am running the now tame HKS 272's so that may be a part of it. But still, with some work, the AEM has great idle tuning functionality.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #35
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

It's mostly my own doing. I had the poly engine mounts all around, so anything under 1000 rpms shakes me like a blender. Plus I have a 75mm throttle body with no IAC hooked up, just my right foot. And finally the slightly higher idle just helps with a twin disk since they are a bit touchy at stoplights. Now I'll be putting on a IAC motor on it if I can't get it to idle nicely with the link. Plus I'm replacing two of the mounts with stock rubber. I want it to be a bit more streetable, it's getting there as we speak.

Old 09-22-2007   #36
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Anything that smoothes out the idle and provides a little tunability and more flow than stock(gm maft) is a worthwhile upgrade to me. And if it's too much money for that, you should get a better job!
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #37
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
It's mostly my own doing. I had the poly engine mounts all around, so anything under 1000 rpms shakes me like a blender. Plus I have a 75mm throttle body with no IAC hooked up, just my right foot. And finally the slightly higher idle just helps with a twin disk since they are a bit touchy at stoplights. Now I'll be putting on a IAC motor on it if I can't get it to idle nicely with the link. Plus I'm replacing two of the mounts with stock rubber. I want it to be a bit more streetable, it's getting there as we speak.
Yeah, I have a 75mm Tbody with no IAC as well. I think your main issue is the motor mounts and the twin disc. I have the front and rear filled with the 3M stuff, but the sides still stock.. nice and smooth.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007   #38
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

My experiences:

GM MAFT on 95 Talon: I think I had one from the very first batch. A local BUICK GN guy hooked me up with one (they first came out for the GNs), I know I was sent a couple different chips a couple times to bring it more up to date in the beginning. VTA worked well and I ended up zeroing it out and just tuned it with dsmlink. Overall it worked pretty well but I don't know if I needed it on my setup. I could start to see their popularity waning on message boards so I sold it while I could still get a grip for it. I really didn't need it on my turbo at the time so the money I got for it I used to buy a set of cams. I went back to the 2g MAS and figured I'd do the fake maf/maf clamp in DSMlink.

2gMAS on 95 Talon: Current setup with DSMLink, MAS has not been hacked. I love it, takes a lot of the thought process out of tuning, car is much easier to tune with DSMLink. I have many logs at around 54-55lbs per minute without any breakup. I have to be at the edge of this MAS, when I get it on the dyno soon I will have Shane turn on the MAS clamp in dsmlink around 2550/2600hz or so. I hit 54-55lbs per minute at around 27psi on my pte3561e.

Evo MAS on 06 IX MR: Well I have it in my current EVO and won't be messing with it, I imagine the car is flowing over 40lbs or right around there as this thing is pushing 350HP/350tq on a DynoDynamic. I have seen the screen get sucked in by these things on other evos though they were making at least another 75hp+ than my setup. Whenever I decide to upgrade my turbo I may think about putting a 2gMAS in if someone doesn't find a way to keep the honeycombs from getting sucked in.

I'm old and lazy these days and like a car I can hop in and it will start, idle and drives decent, basically I can't put up with some of the shit I used to. I like using the stock MAFs overall, driveability is better, better idle, simple, and cheap. The GM MAFT setup works but takes a bit more to setup correctly, 2GMAFs are quite capable and a bit easier to use IMHO.

Jim

Last edited by TalonFiero; 09-22-2007 at 11:22 PM..
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #39
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Yeah, I have a 75mm Tbody with no IAC as well. I think your main issue is the motor mounts and the twin disc. I have the front and rear filled with the 3M stuff, but the sides still stock.. nice and smooth.
Yep, those are going in this week. I like the twin disk though, that stays.

Old 09-24-2007   #40
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

So who's got a 2G mas for sale?