MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-16-2008   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
What are the odds?

So as some of you may have seen i thought i bent some valves a couple days back when the exhaust cam was reversed.
I took off the head, and the cams look to be seating proprly and closing all of the way, but when i hook up the Compression tester, it reads 0 across the board.
One would think that even if the valves were bent but look to be seating properly it "SHOULD" at least get a small amount of compression. Mind you, When the cam was reversed, it was only turned over once, i heard a noise much like a popping once. and stopped immediatly and found the problem.
When im trying to turn it over now it sounds like its just not getting spark, that the crank and cams are moving but nothing is happening. And I can hear some exhaust out the tail pipe.
What are the odds my Compression Tester got fucked up between now and the last time i used it. Which was about a month ago? Its just a cheap one from Autozone. This is really bothering the hell out of me. Im going to check for spark tonight on the spark plugs because when i took the plugs out last night they were wet.
Thanks Guys,
Tom
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #2
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
Re: What are the odds?

Use the tester on a running car real quick, just to see if its still working.
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Of course you will hear air coming out the exhaust, that would simply rule out the intake valves being completely messed up.

A leakdown test wouldn't hurt anything.

A visual inspection of the valves doesn't mean they were closing all the way. The slightest of bends would cause them to not seal and leak.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Yup, test out the tester on another known-working car quicklike and see how it works. Doesn't sound good.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #5
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Doesn't sound good.
Tom is just growing up in the world of cars... He went from poorly painted body kits held on by wood screws getting torn off by JET's driveway to ruining engines by improperly installing cams.

It sucks, hope for the best. It'll all come around in the end.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #6
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Valve can be just ever so slightly bent, but the springs will bend them back a little to make it look ok. Use water to test. Flip it on the side and fill the port. As long as it doesn't just run into the chamber it should be ok. Use a little anti rust spray after.
Old 07-16-2008   #7
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Like has been said, looks mean nothing. They can look fine, but actually bent and cause 0 compression. I'm living proof of that. I've bent more valves then I care to remember
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #8
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Yeah tonight im going to test it out on a friends car, then if the gauge is workin then ill take the head off AGAIN and take it to a local shop i already called and have them rebuild it. Hopefuly they will be able to turn it around next day and i will be able to go to mod.
What sucks is that if the valves are bent then im going to curse the DSM Gods. Last night my friend was over and i was showing him the damage. They looked perfect though. So i had him grab a coin and asked the dsm gods to bless the coin and tell me if i should put the head back on and check for other things or if i should take it to the shop and have it checked out. Tails was install, Heads was have it checked.
First Flip: TAILS
My friend then said i should do 2 out of 3.
Second Flip: Heads
Third Flip: TAILS!
My friend then said maybe i should do 3 our of 5. LOL
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 07-16-2008 at 05:44 PM..
Old 07-16-2008   #9
Project2G
Semper Fidelis

Drives: 1997 Eclipse GST
Send a message via AIM to Project2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
Yeah tonight im going to test it out on a friends car, then if the gauge is workin then ill take the head off AGAIN and take it to a local shop i already called and have them rebuild it. Hopefuly they will be able to turn it around next day and i will be able to go to mod.
What sucks is that if the valves are bent then im going to curse the DSM Gods. Last night my friend was over and i was showing him the damage. They looked perfect though. So i had him grab a coin and asked the dsm gods to bless the coin and tell me if i should put the head back on and check for other things or if i should take it to the shop and have it checked out. Tails was install, Heads was have it checked.
First Flip: TAILS
My friend then said i should do 2 out of 3.
Second Flip: Heads
Third Flip: TAILS!
My friend then said maybe i should do 3 our of 5. LOL
Perhaps your friend should have grabbed a different coin? PS: Who flips a nickel anyways? The dsm gods are toying with you. That's what happens when you spray your whole car with a rattle can!
Old 07-16-2008   #10
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

A engine turning over with no compression sounds very different then an engine with compression, it turns over faster and does not make a thump/compression noise. Test the tester and a leak down test will tell you where your air pump is pumping all the air to. Did you wait for the HLA's to bleed down before testing? Normally 2-3 hours is good.

~John

Last edited by Pushit2.0; 07-16-2008 at 11:28 PM..
Pushit2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #11
blackrosenova400

You should be able to tell easily if your compression tester is nudged up. Have someone turn over the engine and feel the air coming out of the spark plug hole during the compression stroke. Heck put your hand over each one and it should give you an idea of whats goin on.
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #12
tpunx99GSX

Last night after work i took the tester to a friends house. Yeah so today/tomorrow i will be putting on a new head.
Old 07-19-2008   #13
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Make sure you put the cams in right, its not like racing in R you need to be D for things to work out. Do you turn the motor over by hand after you install the timing belt to make sure nothing hits?

~John

Last edited by Pushit2.0; 07-19-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Pushit2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote