MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-14-2010   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Idle, Idle Surge, Timing Adjustment and heat...

Ok so i think all three of these are related but i want to ask your opinions.

Idle:
The car idles at 1200-1300 when cold and warming up. very smooth.
Idle Surge:
After the car is fully heated it starts idle surging slowly. Drops to 900 rpms, then climbs very slowly up to 1300 then drops back down to 900. If i push in the clutch it will climb even slower.
Base timing Adjustment:
When i first got the car running and was setting the base timing, i ended up setting it to around 2 degrees BTDC. Mainly because if i set it to 5 or 10 degrees BTDC it would idle surge and idle really high, like around 2000 rpms. Granted this was when the new head gasket was just installed and the motor only had 25 miles on it. Im going to attempt to readjust today.
Heat:
Currently i have no thermostat in. The car warms up and sits right in the middle. but after driving for a bit when i get to the lower speeds it starts to head towards the H and get hot, it never gets past that first line but gets hot enough to make me worry.

My theory on how these are all related:
My belief is that being that the Base timing is set so close to TDC its causing the heat issues, but also with that the thermostat being uninstalled is constantly flowing the coolant through the system and not allowing the coolant to get much time in the radiator to cool down before getting thrown through the system again. And while on the highway it says perfectly in the average range, but this is likely caused by the airflow that is reaching the radiator is cooling the coolant more rapidly.
The Idle surge and Idle i think are related to the base timing as well. but how would i go about adjusting the timing down to 5 deg BTDC without it raising the idle to 2k rpm? Should i maybe try the green cap CAS and see if its maybe a faulty CAS?

What do you all think?
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Idle, Idle Surge, Timing Adjustment and heat...

Get a thermostat back in there and flush the cooling system; it's very likely the radiator is full of gunk/corrosion/who knows what. Get your base timing set correctly and perform a boost leak test. Once those are good if it still idle surges then you're going to want to look at the throttle body and clean/rebuild if needed.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #3
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

You don't adjust your idle by adjusting your base timing. Set your base timing to 5, that's where it's supposed to be. Adjust your idle with the BISS screw. And like Chris said, verify no boost/vacuum leaks as those only enhance idle problems.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #4
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I know theres no leaks in the system, i have already performed a boost leak check. It only happens when the system is heated up.
ill try the biss screw. but i think he threw a bolt where the biss screw should be so ill have to see if that works like a regular one.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 05-14-2010   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

...and that didn't raise a red flag as potentially the issue to you? Get the bolt out of there and replace it with a new BISS screw, o-ring, and cap.
Old 05-14-2010   #6
Halon
Pewp Champion

That's gotta be a nice contributor to your idle issues...

And you understand there is a difference between a cold and warm car right? You have a bypass built into your TB (FIAV) that allows extra air in when cold to keep your idle up. Once the car is warm that closes off.

You need to set your idle once it's warm.
Old 05-14-2010   #7
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

He blocked those FIAV lines off.
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Do you have a coolant run to your TB?
Old 05-14-2010   #9
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
He blocked those FIAV lines off.
Did he use a block-off platetoo? Or just not hook up the lines?
Old 05-14-2010   #10
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

Plugged the coolant lines that go to the TB. Thats all i know of.
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #11
tpunx99GSX

no no no. When i did the head gasket i used a blockoff plate on the TB. originally i had just not hooked up the lines, but i found that to be the idle surge issue when it was surging all of the time.
Old 05-14-2010   #12
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
Plugged the coolant lines that go to the TB. Thats all i know of.
That is [at least part of] the issue right there unless he also got a block-off plate.
Old 05-14-2010   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Tom chime in here? Did you just block off the lines without running a block-off plate? If so, you have a bunch of extra air sneaking past your throttle plate that isn't supposed to be.

*edit - oops didn't see your responce. Good that you used a blockoff plate. I'd get that BISS situation fixed though. That's how you adjust the idle.
Old 05-14-2010   #14
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX View Post
no no no. When i did the head gasket i used a blockoff plate on the TB. originally i had just not hooked up the lines, but i found that to be the idle surge issue when it was surging all of the time.
OK, now put an actual BISS screw with new o-ring and cap in there. Total it will probably be under $15 from the dealership.
Old 05-14-2010   #15
tpunx99GSX

You must have been typing when i posted that i had used a blockoff plate.
Old 05-14-2010   #16
tpunx99GSX

Ill have to go grab one today then.
Old 05-14-2010   #17
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Having base timing not at exactly 5* btdc will not cause your overheating issue. Also I disagree with your theory that not having a thermostat will cause the overheating, it's not going to heat soak the radiator. No thermostat is the coldest your car is going to run, and it's not really good to run without one.

Get a stock fan with shroud and install that. The little single slim fan probably isn't flowing enough air at low speeds. I know my single slim fan did nothing compared to my stock one.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #18
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post

Get a stock fan with shroud and install that. The little single slim fan probably isn't flowing enough air at low speeds. I know my single slim fan did nothing compared to my stock one.
This ^^^ Also, make sure your fan is coming on.

Set timing at 5* when warm, then adjust your idle down.
(make sure the ECU is grounded when you set your timing too)

Tags
newb og to the max