MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-02-2009   #21
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla
Re: turbo question

Journal bearing should not need restrictors if oil pressure is in the normal range and if the turbo is properly built. I know that for a fact because I talked to the head guy at PTE themselves and he said. Now a BB turbo will and I got a restrictor for my pte BB turbo from PTE. The guy at Precision said that their journal bearing turbos like alot of oil since they are not water cooled. 4seasons69 just send it in to Precision and have it done right and correct the first time. They are great guys and are willing to explain things and work with you there.

I copied this from another thread it was posted by 95talonracer

so given the fact that i'm in on the low side of what would be considered the normal range I don't really for see oil pressure being the problem

Last edited by 4seasons69; 10-02-2009 at 01:45 PM..
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #22
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

ok i sent you a pm, told you to call me. still havent heard anything so im guessing you dont want me to fix it?
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #23
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude View Post
ok i sent you a pm, told you to call me. still havent heard anything so im guessing you dont want me to fix it?

it's alright I'll get it taken care of else where
Old 10-02-2009   #24
jhaan_dude

just call me anyway!
Old 10-02-2009   #25
scheides
flips McGee

Just want to add to this that the key part of the restrictor thing is where oil is being fed from. If its from the head, its less of an issue. If its from the oil filter housing, its more of an issue. Different cars, different oils, different pressures.

I love stock or stock frame turbos, none of this nonsense
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #26
blackrosenova400

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Just want to add to this that the key part of the restrictor thing is where oil is being fed from. If its from the head, its less of an issue. If its from the oil filter housing, its more of an issue. Different cars, different oils, different pressures.

This is because the restrictor is built right into the feed at the turbo.

Garrett center sections are meant to be universal, so its up to you to control flow to the turbo.
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #27
4seasons69

Quote:
just call me anyway!
I have to get going to wor. if you'll be at the dyno day we can chat tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post

I completely agree with what you said on that one but my other turbos have been fine. and I just got off the phone with pte and explained my whole setup and the guy said I shouldn't need a restrictor and actually recommened against using one for an scm61
Old 10-02-2009   #29
jhaan_dude

ok, i will see you saturday. i kind of wanted to have it rebuilt and fixed for you by dyno day!
Old 10-02-2009   #30
4seasons69

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrosenova400 View Post
In/out play or up/down?
both

Quote:
ok, i will see you saturday. i kind of wanted to have it rebuilt and fixed for you by dyno day!
it's ok. I appreciate you offering it but I just don't have the time to pull the thing again tonight.
Old 10-02-2009   #31
blackrosenova400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons69 View Post
I have to get going to wor. if you'll be at the dyno day we can chat tomorrow.

I completely agree with what you said on that one but my other turbos have been fine. and I just got off the phone with pte and explained my whole setup and the guy said I shouldn't need a restrictor and actually recommened against using one for an scm61
Well I dont think ill buy a Pte turbo ever, that guy doenst know what hes talkin about.

If you were to calculate flow and compare it to how much flow a 14b receives that is already restricted (which is a journal bearing too btw), you would find you are flowing about 10.33 times more oil with a 4AN line feeding your turbo than a 14b would receive. Do you really think that center section can handle that much oil?
Old 10-02-2009   #32
4seasons69

Quote:
Well I dont think ill buy a Pte turbo ever, that guy doenst know what hes talkin about.

If you were to calculate flow and compare it to how much flow a 14b receives that is already restricted (which is a journal bearing too btw), you would find you are flowing about 10.33 times more oil with a 4AN line feeding your turbo than a 14b would receive. Do you really think that center section can handle that much oil?

you're right the company that manufactured the turbo doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to their product
Old 10-02-2009   #33
blackrosenova400

Quote:
you're right the company that manufactured the turbo doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to their product
They didn't manufacture the center section. Its a Garrett center section like I said.

Look im only trying to help.
Old 10-02-2009   #34
4seasons69

I know your trying to help and I appreciate that but either way I think they know their product good enough
Old 10-02-2009   #35
4seasons69

alrighty no need to argue over something dumb like this. thanks for the help everyone!!!! I think i've got it figured out
Old 10-02-2009   #36
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Quote:

I think PTE has much more knowlege then most of us on this board. They service guy is really nice and why the hell would he tell a customer that has one of their products to do something that is going to fuck up their turbo and make them (pte) look bad? I think not. I guarantee that if he were to buy that exact turbo new from PTE that there would be no issue with any oil leak or smoke anywhere! Im pretty sure PTE is a pretty good turbo given the number of people running them with good numbers to show for with no problem. You get what you pay for with turbos I guess. I have found this out the hard way as well. 4seasons69 I would just ask for your miney back or send it strait to PTE nad they will be very fair with you and dont even go to Diesel components. You might as well send it to the ones that make the dam thing if that makes since at all.

Quote:
Ha ya that makes since.
Quote:
alrighty no need to argue over something dumb like this. thanks for the help everyone!!!! I think i've got it figured out
PM me if you have any questions regarding your issue since I went through the exact same thing with my scm61 and delt with the service guy at PTE. Make sure that if you send in your turbo to them that it isnt a mutt turbo with a bunch of random parts thrown together and has ALL PTE parts on it or they may not treat you as nice.

Amsoil Dealer
95talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #37
4seasons69

well I figured I'd just throw this in here for the fun of it. I talked to pte, fp, bullseye power, and turbonetics and all of them said I should not need a restrictor in my journal bearing turbo and would recommend against using one. (i'm still waiting to hear back from blouch and I could find any good contact info to contact garret)

on another note julian tried to tell me that my bep v-trim didn't burn oil because there was a built in restrictor. when I called bep the guy said there is definitely no built in restrictor.
Old 10-05-2009   #38
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
well I figured I'd just throw this in here for the fun of it. I talked to pte, fp, bullseye power, and turbonetics and all of them said I should not need a restrictor in my journal bearing turbo and would recommend against using one. (i'm still waiting to hear back from blouch and I could find any good contact info to contact garret)
Which is what we've all been saying all along. Well, except for Julian... Ask Mark how his freshly rebuilt turbo is doing.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #39
4seasons69

when you say mark are you talking about tkr?? julian rebuilt his turbo??
Old 10-05-2009   #40
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
when you say mark are you talking about tkr?? julian rebuilt his turbo??
Yes, TKR Mark. Mark didn't make it to the dyno day because his car didn't even make it around the block without the turbo going bad. He must have forgot to put in a restrictor.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote