MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 11-08-2010   #201
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: 1994 Talon TSi

I'm almost certain you will make more parting out than you will selling as a whole. Just depends on if you got the time to rip it all apart.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #202
GG_9_SE
E85=Win

Drives: Evo 9 SE

The 1350's will be just fine on stock turbo. why downgrade, then upgrade again when you wanna start throwing more power at it?
Old 11-08-2010   #203
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I'm almost certain you will make more parting out than you will selling as a whole. Just depends on if you got the time to rip it all apart.
Oh yea, I should be able to knock most of the disassembly out in a day or two I would think. At least the main parts. Selling is the crappy part, no one ever wants to come to St. Cloud to buy parts haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #204
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Sorry to hear, wonder why a new trans would leak?

Good luck and if you need a hand give me a shout.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #205
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Well finally heard back from TRE. With the pictures I provided (I took about 50 good pics of everything around the entire transmission area before even parting it) He said that most likely what happened with it was that the half shaft somehow came out while driving (pic below shows the grease from it all over the k-member) and that is where most of the trans oil leaked out, and the rest probably just boiled and burned off.

When he took the thing apart he found almost everything in the thing to be black and blue from the crazy amount of heat it made with no fluid in it. (I'm trying to get some carnage pics of it right now) He said internally (this is all from memory now, and I don't really know the internals of transmission well at all, so it is the best i could remember after a 90 minute phone conversation) after the lack of fluid, the intermediate shaft was seized, most the internals were black and blue from the heat, and he rockwell hardness tested a bunch of the parts and they came out to be in the low 50's, like 51-52 he said they are usually in the 60's. If he put if back together, it would work, but probably wear out/break super fast.

So, since it wasn't an internal failure, and really no ones fault at all, he said he cannot warranty it. He feels bad because its a real shit thing to happen, and he said it's only the second time in his career this type of thing has ever happened. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing, he has been a super guy to deal with (hard to get a hold of at times, but a real good guy when he does get back to you) but then again, I realize it wasn't really his fault and at the end of the day he still has a business to run. it was just a shitty freak thing, that pretty much epitomized my entire DSM ownership experience. Freak problem after freak problem.

Towards the end of the conversation, he asked me what I would like to do and since I don't even own a DSM anymore, and the trans parts were not re-usable (he said gears were going for $.10/lb or something LOL) The whole works was maybe worth $50-60 in scrap metal and he really had no use for the rest of it. he said he would give me a free Sight glass rear diff cover for my Evo for my troubles.

Like I said, major mixed feelings, but at least I didn't get completely stiffed and I got a trick ass diff cover

Here's where you can see where the half shaft came apart/popped out just enough and sprayed grease all over along with letting the fluid out I highlighted it to make more visible

Both front axles had less then 1,000 miles on them also.

Quote:

Last edited by goodhart; 06-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: added pic
Old 06-01-2011   #206
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Shitty at least you got some closure I guess.

But hey, it pushed you to get an evo and that's what counts.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #207
scheides
flips McGee

sorry to hear dude but that rear diff cover will probably be nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #208
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Jon just called again, he said there looks to be a few more re-usable parts than he originally thought. He said he has to finish going through everything (hardness testing stuff, etc) and depending on what can be used again, he will try to give me a sort of store credit and hook me up on a discount on a Evo VIII 5 speed rebuild since we had talked about my Evo as well. Not keeping my hopes up, but it would be damn sweet!!

Quote: