MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 06-30-2006   #1
sleepy2lazy

Battery voltage issues.

Hey guys, lately I have been having electrical issues with my car.
1995 GSX, apex'i turbo timer, boost gauge, blinky A/F gauge.

Today, all day basically, my turbo timer has been reading my battery voltage at 13.0 and dropping to around 12.5. When I return to my car and start it up again, my battery volts is around 12.0, and my brake light / battery light is still on. (The hand brake was down after i turned on my car.) After driving for awhile, it goes away. But when I get from spot A to B, and start my car up again, those lights are on again.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #2
Shane55113
Now 20% less Racist

Send a message via AIM to Shane55113
Re: Battery voltage issues.

well it seems to be within operating perameters, i dont understand what the problem is.
Old 06-30-2006   #3
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

Same thing happend to me. My I got a new alternator and it stoped. But sometime my Lights come on and I have not clue why. Your car is happy when you battery voltage is 13.8-14.8. Could be your battery also tho.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #4
tim

How old is the battery? Go buy a hydrometer from the parts store for 1.99 and check each cell in the battery. Look for variance among cells.

Could really be the alt, battery or a poor connection. I would definitely check all connections at the battery and alt for corrosion and make sure they are tight.

The heat during the summer is hell on a battery and if it is older it could just be time for a new batt. You need to do a little more testing to narrow it down.

When running you should be reading atleast 14volts and when shut off a full batt will be 12.6 volts but can be higher since is was just being charged by the alt.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #5
sleepy2lazy

Hmm..I had the battery replaced last year, one of my dads friends "fixed" my alternator. Last year, the battery voltage was doing the same thing too and my car died. I left the state returning to find my car working ok again.... I just hope its not gonna do the same thing this summer again, as the situation is pretty similar.

Thanks for the input guys.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Sounds to me like your voltage regulator on the alternator; I would replace your alternator soon since its going out before it wrecks your battery too. Your voltage is too low, it should be in the ~13.5-14.0 range while the engine is running and no electrical things turned on.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006   #7
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Two things that had my car doing this dumb crap: bad alternator and then bad fuse. Actually I had a wire in there so that was my problem, but sounds like what happened to mine for awhile so there's the best input I can give.
Tauni is offline   Reply With Quote