MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 05-25-2006   #1
rst95eclipse
Who has powdercoated their entire suspension???

I want to have my entire suspension powdercoated black along with various brackets and such. I'm getting it done for dirt cheap. So far, I've taken off my front assembly. My question is, when you sent it off to be powdercoated, did you have all the control arms that had the rubber bushings in them (that a bolt slips through) powdercoated as well?? I'm wondering if the heat when they bake them will melt this material. I plan on an Energy Suspension bushing kit, however with the research that I've done; it doesn't look like they provide EVERY replacement piece, so if it melts I'm screwed.

If anyone knows more about what the process will do to my pieces, place post up to let me know. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #2
tim

Re: Who has powdercoated their entire suspension???

Talk to who is doing the powder coating but I dont think you will be able to leave the bushings in.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #3
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Im pretty sure the stock rubber bushings will melt apart. I wouldnt recommend replacing your entire bushing system with poly unless you like driving on railroad tracks everywhere you go.

I replaced every bushing on my GSX with energy and I regretted it after that. It rode way too rough and I only had Gr2 shocks and stock springs.

BTW whats the benefit of powdercoating things you never see? Who cares f control arms are rusty, etc... poweder coat your calipers, and engine bay stuff instead.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #4
SchuttsR1
Yes, I am inbred

All the metal supports for my RX7's suspension is powder coated black, I have a few friends with NSX's that polished and glazed there suspension looks really good but spent a ton of money doing it.

Power coating is just like painting but it is meant to last longer, but you will really kick your self if you scrath it, becouse to make it look even again you have to strip it and start all over.

As for your bushings you need to find some one that has a low temp powder coating system they are out there, and your bushings will survive the process.
Old 05-25-2006   #5
rst95eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/// Guy
BTW whats the benefit of powdercoating things you never see? Who cares f control arms are rusty, etc... poweder coat your calipers, and engine bay stuff instead.
I do. Powdercoating is free. Suspension really needs a facelift. And I think it just looks sooo nice. If it scratches, I'll just rattle can the scratch to blend it. I'm wire brushing the entire underbody and respraying. What's the point to powdercoat calipers and not the suspension, especially when it will flake off (unless it's the high temp stuff)? I will be powdercoating charge piping, etc in the engine bay as well.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #6
98gstaherns
I need boost in my life

Drives: '14 chevy 1500
Send a message via AIM to 98gstaherns

How is powdercoating free?
Old 05-25-2006   #7
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Yea it may be free for you.. but not for anyone else. Powdercoat what you want, i dont care. I just dont see a visual or performance benefit. It would have a visual benefit if you could see it but you cant...

Powder coating the calipers should not flake off unless your getting your brakes red hot.

NM im out of this thread, not enough logic for me
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote