MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-22-2005   #1
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig
1st gear poping out and grinding

So I sold my car to my friend. The car shifted fine when sold. It slowly started grinding 3rd and then 2nd and 1st. Now it won't go into 1st gear. It also pops out. The clutch has about 6k miles on it. The tranny is leaking some fluid. Not sure exactly how much it has leaked already. We are going to put some tranny fluid into it and then try again. Do you think anything else Could be wrong with it? Will he need a new transmission? The leak is near the transfer case and its not the axle seals because they are new also.

thanks in advance

-Colin
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #2
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR
Re: 1st gear poping out and grinding

sounds like the clutch is not being pressed in all the way... if its leaking somthing I bet its brake fluid from the slave cylender. Which explains why the clutch wouldn't be releaseing all the way. I've had numerous problems with this on my 90AWD, If you clutch realses all the way, you should A. be able to put it in gear, then pull it out and then it should slip right back into the gear it was in, U have to be stopped and hold the clutch in the whole time. because the tranny should not start spinning if you hold the clutch pedal down, if it does, it will hesitate to go in till the syncro stops the tranny spinning again. Get the idea?
Old 11-22-2005   #3
dsmdude

Unhappy Re: 1st gear poping out and grinding

i had this happen with one of my 1g's. i tried adjusting the clutch engagement and shift linkage with no luck. it sucked driving the thing out of 2nd gear all the time and the clutch sure as hell didn't like that. luckly for me the balance shaft belt broke and took out the timing belt before i went and replaced the tranny lol.

if you hold the shifter in 1rst gear does it still pop out?
dsmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #4
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

its not the slave or master cylinder, they were just replaced.
Old 11-22-2005   #5
CarPsyco84

Were they properly bled out? did you try that clutch test to see if its that? bell housing loose?
Old 11-22-2005   #6
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

it was all put in by a shop. So im assuming they did it right?

maybe not though

-Colin
Old 11-22-2005   #7
dsmdude

hopefully they put all the bolts in. i was checking out my freinds brothers dsm once and the shop he had put in his clutch decided to leave a few of the bolts out that attach the transmission to the engine- to be exact they only put 1 bolt in! pretty much destroyed his new clutch he couldn't figure out why the thing wouldn't go into gear.
dsmdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #8
CarPsyco84

Just try leaving it stopped once, push the clutch pedal in and hold it in the whole time. Now while your doing this try to put it in 3rd well say, normaly it will hesitate that split second then go in, if you pull it back to neutral, and try to hit 3rd again, it should go in like instantly, cause the tranny should not have turned at all, and the gears should still line up. If this is not the case, then it is your clutch that is causeing problems (most likely).
Old 12-01-2005   #9
misaelv005

broken shift fork happend 2ce in my 2g take out the tranny before you can't rebuild it. first time with aluminum shift fork second with an hd shift fork that i bought from John Shepherd w/ his tranny but his hd shift fork has a pad on it and that pad is what i lost making it hard to shift or pop outta gear.
misaelv005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #10
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by misaelv005
broken shift fork happend 2ce in my 2g take out the tranny before you can't rebuild it. first time with aluminum shift fork second with an hd shift fork that i bought from John Shepherd w/ his tranny but his hd shift fork has a pad on it and that pad is what i lost making it hard to shift or pop outta gear.
Welcome to the boards.
FYI, most of the time when a shift fork breaks, it gets stuck in a gear, not preventing you grabbing one, you only get that gear.
If all the engagement items are addressed (bend clutch fork, bad to bearing, flywheel step height, good master and slave cylinder) I would address the 1-2 hub and slider assembly. If its an internal transmission problem, start there.
Old 12-01-2005   #11
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

i am gonna say that your blocker ring is desroyed, yes i have rebuilt a AWD trannies a few times, it probly went bad because of a filing master or slave cylinder. Take that sucker out before you really destroy it, i know a 3-4 gear blocker ring is 125 with new syncros, dont know about the 1-2

Erik
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #12
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

its not mine its my friends.

I think hes going with a shep. not sure though.

-Colin