MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-10-2010   #1
scheides
flips McGee

EvoX: How to run Toyota Prius coils in place of stock coils

*NOTE* this works at least as good as the stock coils. Whether or not they actually work better than stock is still unconfirmed. If someone ever gets hard data to prove this one way or the other, please post here and/or PM me!

Credits:
-Matt Szabaga @ SpoolinUp Tuning used these coils on his COP kits for the evo8/9 and while he further pushes credit off to others, he is the reason I know these work as well as they do. I ran them on my 2005 Evo8 BBK car on alky at @33psi and spark plug gap of .030 w/o any adverse effects.
-Derek Princinsky aka Diiirk @ AWD Motorsports. He and I trade ideas regularly and with some back and forth (not sure who orignally thought of it to be honest) we had an X idling with one of these prius plugs and the rest stock via some crazy jimmy-rigged harness.

So, you've got a misfire at high boost on your evoX. Maybe you lost your stock coils in a freak accident. There are lots of reasons someone might want to try this so I thought I'd show everyone how. For under $200, it may be worth a shot to some people

Step one: parts! All you need is the coils, some zip ties, and two very small flat-head screwdrivers. Oh, and the coils? Yes the coils: Denso 90919-02240. x4 please (note: these are the flat-connector ones. The ones with the angled-up connector I could not get to fit down the spark plug barrel! What adapters/plugs do you need? NONE! The stock 4-blade plugs will work by simply moving *one* pin in the connector!

Step two: unplug a coil plug. LEAVE THE COIL IN THE HEAD! There's gonna be lots of small parts that can fall down to never-never land. And DON'T do this while your spark plugs are out of the car! This should be obvious?

Step three: plug disassembly!

Pop the little blue piece out:

See the orange rubber in there? Pull that out too!

Pin removal. Slide small small small screwdriver along bottom of the pin until you reach the small clip/catch. Angle screwdriver down to pull the clip out of the way then either use a second screwdriver to push the pin out of the connector, or have a friend do it. With some dexterity and luck, one person can do this in about 10 seconds. I have found that I can even push in firmly on the pin, then push down on the clip/catch, then push on the pin again and it will pop right out about 3/4 of the time.

Gently pull the pin out the back of the plug.

There's a white cap and a black pin-thing inside of the currently unused pin hole. Remove them: (see above pic for white
Black thing kinda snaps out:

Move the pin from #3 to #1:

Now from the front of the plug, should look like this:

Repeat this on your other 3 plugs!

Step four: replace coils and secure plugs? NOPE! The mounting holes are *slightly* out of alignment. Use a drill bit to open up the holes slightly:

Step five: replace stock coils with the new coils!

Last but not least! Secure the plugs! They do not snap onto these denso coils like they do on the stockers. A few zip ties and you are golden. Do a good job here; don't wrap the zip tie around the rubber part or it will eventually come loose and the car will run like poo. Put it through the spot where the pin used to be (inbetween wires) so it can't slip off.

After this, try your stock bolts to secure the new coils in place, or find some new ones that are a few mm longer.

Feel free to try this out and please give feedback if you do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.

Last edited by scheides; 11-10-2010 at 02:35 PM..
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #2
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: EvoX: How to run Toyota Prius coils in place of stock coils

Good info! Dumb question, but what's the purpose of this if they are not proven to work any better than stock? Do they cost less than stock ones, easier to get, etc?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #3
scheides
flips McGee

Re: EvoX: How to run Toyota Prius coils in place of stock coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Good info! Dumb question, but what's the purpose of this if they are not proven to work any better than stock? Do they cost less than stock ones, easier to get, etc?
At this point I'm not sure on all fronts, all I know is that it works We tested Zwinger's car at like 35psi on E85 w/a FP Red w/o issue. I was having some slight breakup on my car above 30psi on the stock coils; that's what kinda led me down this path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote