MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-06-2006   #1
kahlilj

Send a message via Yahoo to kahlilj
mmcd logger confusion

hi folks,
i'm new to this forum. it looks pretty straight so far. anyway, i need some help - badly.

i have a 90 NT eclipse 2.0 & it won't start. i recently purchased a datalogger (palm IIIx with mmcd software installed) connected it & attempted to start the car. i logged a couple of files, but they are of little use to me without the car running.

in "test" mode it displayed "none" for error codes.
that's confusing!! why is this displaying "no errors"? my car won't start & YES it has gas! lol! & i am fairly sure something should show even if it has nothing to do with car not starting. it has been sitting for several months and lord only knows the last time it had a decent tuneup or anything. am i missing something here??

also, something else i noticed on my log (& found a site that i think gives the meaning of): the FLG2 status showed a "FB". from what i read at that website the "F" means fuel pump relay right? & does that mean its faulty or what? i think the "B" is for boost related? but this is a not turbo.

FLGO status was "S". meaning power steering pressure? again does that flag status mean i have problems with these parts/areas??
can someone please give me some help on setting up/interpreting this logger correctly for error code/troubleshooting??

i have gone to the sourceforge.net site, have the latest version installed (1.8) and have even downloaded sample files. i thought i could view them on my computer, but after unzipping them, it looks like they want to install on my logger instead. (i need help viewing these on my computer directly too instead of going thru process of uploading to palm, then downloading & converting to excel file on computer).

i must be missing something really simple, but i do not know where to start except here - where i KNOW there are other users out there.

i need 3 things:
1) how to setup/read/pull the error (fault) codes correctly.
2) guidance on reading those realtime, i.e. while logger is connected to ECU in car. (instead of codes being created in data file & viewing that data file on pc after conversion)
3) how to view the sample files on computer without going thru upload/download process with logger. as well as help with file management on the datalogger in general.

please help.
kahlilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #2
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579
Re: mmcd logger confusion

well before you even try to log anything you should check if you are getting fuel and spark, then go from there
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #3
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

So does the car crank over at all or you just get click click click noises. More detail please if you want help with starting your car.
x-pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #4
kahlilj

gvr, i agree now that i see the logger did not reveal any codes, that i need to check fuel or spark.

xpride, there is no ticking noise (typical of dead/drained battery or alternator?). the engine will turn (or crank) when i turn the ignition key, but won't start. so it's either no spark or no gas. i still suspect it might be fuel related. is it possible the flag status (FLG2) my logger showed is indicating a faulty fuel pump relay? if the logger does not perform that function, then how would i check that relay?

gvr, i will check the spark again this evening when i get home.

thanks!
Old 03-08-2006   #5
kahlilj

guys i checked for spark by pulling each plug wire off the installed spark plugs, then placing an old spark plug in plug wire end & seeing if there was arcing while i cranked the engine. i saw nothing. i did this 1 by 1 for each plug wire with lights off in garage & never saw anything. now it makes me wonder if coil pac is bad?!?!? oh well...

i also:
poured more gas in fuel tank tho gauge indicated it was over 1/4 tank.
checked my alternator fuse (80 amp fuse?)
made sure my MAF sensor was connected

i hate to relinquish & have my car towed to satan, but i may not be able to continue troubleshooting my car (for a couple of reasons not stated)

thanks all for your help.
Old 03-20-2006   #6
kahlilj

Well folks, I finally got my car up & running. Huge thanks to Shawn (formerly of DSM concepts)!!

It turns out it was the CAS, BUT not just that. Seems the metal tabs on the power transistor (PT were corroded just enough to prevent spark from occuring. This was realized a couple of hours of taking almost everything apart AFTER replacing the CAS.

After replacing the CAS, the engine was passing fuel, but there was still no spark to the plugs. We checked the plug wires, then tested the coilpack & finally the PT. ALL checked out ok. Shawn then checked my ECU for a burned capacitor (not very common, but known to happen on some 1G cars) - nada! ECU looked perfect.

Shawn had noticed a slightly corrosive buildup on the PT connector when we were testing it earlier however. He cleaned it off with carb cleaner & also wirebrushed it. After allowing it to dry off, we snapped it back together & voila! car started right up like it had never missed a beat.

So it appeared it was the 2 things working together to miff us for a few hours & 2 Saturdays in a row, but now it's solved & I'm a lil wiser about how my car works.

Thanks to all you folks for your suggestions as well. what you were suggesting was right in-line with what we were doing.

Kahlil - now cleared for takeoff