MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-29-2005   #1
1ViciousGSX
Admin

AEM UEGO Controller

Well I finally got my AEM UEGO controller package and add-on gauage installed a couple of days ago. I hooked the 1.0-5.0v output to the rear O2 sensor input of my ECU (DSMLink will log it) and the 0.0-1.0v output to the front O2 sensor input at the ECU in place of the stock O2 sensor. Pretty simple installation. That's the good news.

Bad news. It only took me a couple of minutes drive time to figure out it won't work this way. The car started fine & idled fine (lean @ 16.5-17.5:1 a/f ratio). But trying to drive it was another story. Once I started driving the car the ECU started to go lean very quickly and very badly (19.4:1 on the UEGO) to the point were it lost all power. DSMLink was showing .40v at the front O2 sensor input and my fuel trims were going way lean. I re-checked everything to make sure it was hooked up correctly and it was. So yesterday I called AEM tech and asked them about it. They told me .40v is really lean on the low-band output. I told them I agree, but .40v is not lean for a stock style ECU as .50v is stoich (14.7:1). This is not a very good "mimic" of a stock style O2 sensor. The ECU is looking for a lower number to see lean mixtures. AEM tech didn't have an answer for me on this. I guess most people buy the UEGO controller to hook to a stand-alone system.

So today I put the stock O2 sensor back into place and had an exhaust shop weld in the add-on bung into my exhaust right after my flex-joint at the rear of the engine where I mounted the wide-band sensor. All my fuel trims lined back up correctly. The UEGO shows 14.5-15.2:1 a/f ratio while idling and cruising with the stock O2 senor controlling things. I did go up on boost also and found my WOT ratios to be 10.5-10.8:1 without me changing anything. So my fuel trims were pretty close, but now I know for sure. So now I can at least have a real-time display of my a/f ratio and log it.

So for a "heads up" to everybody, I can't say for sure if the FJO, PLX, etc. wide-bands do a better job of trying to "mimic" a stock O2, but they will need to if you are trying to do what I was trying to do. Other than that, everything is great.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 01-30-2005 at 01:01 AM..
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #2
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Re: AEM UEGO Controller

Good to know, I use the PLX and have the "mimic" wiring hooked up instead of a narrowband O2, and it works fine. Glad to hear you got it to work right though, now get that thing on a dyno and do some tunning!

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #3
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

My Techedge also has .50 as 14.7:1

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #4
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine TSi
Good to know, I use the PLX and have the "mimic" wiring hooked up instead of a narrowband O2, and it works fine. Glad to hear you got it to work right though, now get that thing on a dyno and do some tunning!
So you just have the PLX running on its own, with the stock o2 sensor hooked up in its original location?

This is very interresting, does anyone know why they differ so much from the stock o2 sensor? Specifically, if the wideband o2 units use .5v as 14.7:1, what voltage does the stock sensor use?
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #5
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides
So you just have the PLX running on its own, with the stock o2 sensor hooked up in its original location?

This is very interresting, does anyone know why they differ so much from the stock o2 sensor? Specifically, if the wideband o2 units use .5v as 14.7:1, what voltage does the stock sensor use?
I am using the sensor that came with the PLX in the stock location, I have the narrowband output from the PLX going straight to the ECU. I just cut the wire and connected the PLX output to the ECU. Works fine.

No other O2 sensor in the car.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #6
DSMnUB

Tournaments Won: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides

Widebands use 1v-5v not 0v-1v
Old 02-15-2005   #7
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMnUB
Widebands use 1v-5v not 0v-1v
Either you didn't read the posts or you don't know what you are talking about. We are talking about WB02's with a narrow band emulator in them. So yes, they do put out a 0-1v output.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #8
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine TSi
I am using the sensor that came with the PLX in the stock location, I have the narrowband output from the PLX going straight to the ECU. I just cut the wire and connected the PLX output to the ECU. Works fine.

No other O2 sensor in the car.
Same deal for me too. It acctuly fixed my idle wondering too! (not surge)
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote