MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-26-2004   #1
DJGHOST

Tournaments Won: 6

is it possible to put a 4g64 in a 1g car and what do u need?
Old 01-26-2004   #2
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Advice: Stick with the 4g63.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #3
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .@Jan 26 2004, 07:40 PM
I was just wondering if there is any specific logic to this? I don't care for the 2.4 '64 thing much my self but I almost feel like I am missing out on something. I know most of the benefits and down sides but more insight is always welcome.
Old 01-26-2004   #4
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally posted by MustGoFaster+Jan 26 2004, 10:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MustGoFaster @ Jan 26 2004, 10:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-. guest .@Jan 26 2004, 07:40 PM
I was just wondering if there is any specific logic to this? I don't care for the 2.4 '64 thing much my self but I almost feel like I am missing out on something. I know most of the benefits and down sides but more insight is always welcome. [/b][/quote]
Well, I'm going to toss out my $0.02 as how I interpreted .guest.'s comment. I believe he is saying that if DJGHOST has not done enough research on the 4G64 to know whether it is possible to do the 4G64/63 swap, he should probably be straying away from it.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #5
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Yes, it is possible. The only real downside is the extra torque that may break tranny parts. If you can call that a bad thing! Oh, and Nash will call you a cheater :P

You do have to buy some specialized parts to do it though.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #6
At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakey+Jan 26 2004, 10:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jakey @ Jan 26 2004, 10:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by MustGoFaster@Jan 26 2004, 10:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-. guest .
Quote:
@Jan 26 2004, 07:40 PM

I was just wondering if there is any specific logic to this? I don't care for the 2.4 '64 thing much my self but I almost feel like I am missing out on something. I know most of the benefits and down sides but more insight is always welcome.
Well, I'm going to toss out my $0.02 as how I interpreted .guest.'s comment. I believe he is saying that if DJGHOST has not done enough research on the 4G64 to know whether it is possible to do the 4G64/63 swap, he should probably be straying away from it. [/b][/quote]
Hey, at least someone understands my bitchy asshole responses.

Old 01-26-2004   #7
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .+Jan 26 2004, 10:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (. guest . @ Jan 26 2004, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Jakey@Jan 26 2004, 10:55 PM
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-. guest .
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I'm going to toss out my $0.02 as how I interpreted .guest.'s comment. I believe he is saying that if DJGHOST has not done enough research on the 4G64 to know whether it is possible to do the 4G64/63 swap, he should probably be straying away from it.
Hey, at least someone understands my bitchy asshole responses. [/b][/quote]
Hey I'm only 75% newbie, then maybe when I finally purchase my own DSM, I'll be down to 50% newbie

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #8
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Having too much torque is like having too many fine women and too much money at your dispossal.

One of the reasons I went with the 2.4L is the fact that my car is heavy. 3400lbs without the driver. Torque is what launches and accelerates a car. HP is just a calculated figure based on how much work that engine can do over a period of time. There will be many who will jump in on this and say I'm wrong, but I'm not. It's great to build an engine that can make 800hp, but if only makes it from 7000-9000rpm what good it is to you. With a 2.4L you can make the same power as the 2.0L with less boost and less strain on the internals of the engine. There is a point where the added stroke will come into play though, you will not be able to rev it as high. For a street driven car the 2.4L makes more sense. For an all out drag car where high rpm & high boost are the way to go, the 2.0L or the 2.14L will work great. When I look at a dyno sheet I look for the torque curve first, that tells me how usable the engine's power is.

No FLAMING.
If you don't agree then say so and why. Any remarks that are intended to start shit will be deleted.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #9
At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by Jakey+Jan 26 2004, 11:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jakey @ Jan 26 2004, 11:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .@Jan 26 2004, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-. guest .
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, at least someone understands my bitchy asshole responses.
Hey I'm only 75% newbie, then maybe when I finally purchase my own DSM, I'll be down to 50% newbie [/b][/quote]
Ah, i'm just in a cranky mood. 2.4's are nice but only a few will have nicely running ones imho. The others who attempt it will never finish it or will probably not even get them started. There's the advantage of using bigger turbos and having a nice powerband with big power capable turbos. It's more of a just nice to have imo.

Old 01-26-2004   #10
npaulseth

:woowoo: I have also read that the 2.4's crankwalk also. This is just me benchracing though.
Old 01-27-2004   #11
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Quote:
Originally posted by . guest .+Jan 26 2004, 10:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (. guest . @ Jan 26 2004, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-. guest .
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, at least someone understands my bitchy asshole responses. [/b][/quote]
I should have taken it at face value, oh well.

and to npaulseth: ANY MOTOR CAN CRANK WALK!! 2.4, 2.0, 350sbc, it doesn't matter! 7-bolts are prone to it, so a 7-bolt 2.4 is going to be just as prone to it as a 7-bolt 2.0.
Old 01-27-2004   #12
1ViciousGSX
Admin

You can build a 6-bolt 2.4L

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 01-27-2004   #13
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
is there any siginificant way to stop crankwalk on a 7bolt? I thought I remember Raptor saying something about that, when he was thinking about rebuilding Fast Toms 7bolt?
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004   #14
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowWhite@Jan 27 2004, 09:41 AM
is there any siginificant way to stop crankwalk on a 7bolt? I thought I remember Raptor saying something about that, when he was thinking about rebuilding Fast Toms 7bolt?
People have toyed with the idea of modifying the thrust bearing for better lubrication, upping the oil pressure, blocking off the 2g squirters and installing 1g squirters and so on. But I don't think anybody truely has a handle on it yet.

(#Y#)
Old 01-27-2004   #15
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
4G64 7-bolts don't have oil squirters. I haven't heard of them crankwalking much either compared to how often the 2G 4G63's crankwalk. And there are probably a lot more of the 4G64 7-bolts out there than 2G 4G63 7-bolts. 1G 4G63 7-bolts really don't crankwalk all that often compared to the 2Gs either.

Put an auto on it and I bet it won't crankwalk.
Old 01-27-2004   #16
npaulseth

From what I've read, people were looking at adding a different bearing. Everyone has there own solution. I know that any motor can crankwalk, the 7 bolts are just a lot more prone to it. Someone built up a 2.4 specifically because they had never heard of it CWing, and it did. Now I haven't heard much about the 6 bolt 2.4's, but if you could get the extra .4L and have an engine that could still rev up to 7k, that would be awsome. Noah
Old 01-27-2004   #17
npaulseth

Quote:
Originally posted by ecoli@Jan 27 2004, 11:59 AM
4G64 7-bolts don't have oil squirters. I haven't heard of them crankwalking much either compared to how often the 2G 4G63's crankwalk. And there are probably a lot more of the 4G64 7-bolts out there than 2G 4G63 7-bolts. 1G 4G63 7-bolts really don't crankwalk all that often compared to the 2Gs either.

Put an auto on it and I bet it won't crankwalk.
Do they make any decent stall converters for DSMs?
Old 01-27-2004   #18
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

The one 7-bolt 4G64 I heard of crankwalking was caused by an assembly or startup error. It crankwalked within 50 miles. That is not normal crankwalk. It can take 50,000+ miles for crankwalk to show up, that is some other type of fuckup that caused it to crankwalk. Are there lots of others?
Old 01-27-2004   #19
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
Originally posted by npaulseth@Jan 27 2004, 12:02 PM
Do they make any decent stall converters for DSMs?
I think Precision Industries does.
Old 01-27-2004   #20
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by npaulseth@Jan 27 2004, 12:00 PM
Now I haven't heard much about the 6 bolt 2.4's, but if you could get the extra .4L and have an engine that could still rev up to 7k, that would be awsome. Noah
How does 8500rpm sound?

(#Y#)