MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-11-2006   #1
TurboDomestics

Send a message via AIM to TurboDomestics
Wiring gauges?

I need to wire some gauges, and I'd like it if they just turned on when the car was on. They are an autogauge boost gauge, and an autometer EGT gauge. Lets assume I know below nothing about wiring .

Where do I start?

thanks

-Charlie
Old 01-12-2006   #2
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
Re: Wiring gauges?

I suck at electrical but.. well you can ground either one on the chasis anywhere of course, but the positive connections are always tricky especially if you want them to turn on with the lights or something. I'd probably tap into the headlights/driving lights. I could never figure out where those wires were and I was partially lazy so I just shoved it into the fuse box on the headlight fuse, but the gauge is on whenever the car is on. Also sometimes if you just tap into any random positive connection the gauge might ALWAYS stay lit up so becareful; just gotta find the right positive wire. If you can trace the wires going from the fuse box you might be able to make out what's what. Or if you know what the wires are going into the ECU you could just tap into that. I think they have some wiring diagrams for boost controller/afc install on vfaq.com. Hope that helps.

Last edited by clean2g; 01-12-2006 at 05:11 PM..
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006   #3
TurboDomestics

Actually I found a VFAQ on how to wire it into the dimmer switch, so It goes on when you turn them on.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/gaugelit.html

It looks pretty easy to do too!

thanks though!
Old 01-12-2006   #4
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

oh pimp.. I should re-wire mine the "correct" way now lol. Thanks for posting the link.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #5
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm

I've tried that dimmer switch thingy also. Worked fine for a bit, then I guess the two wires touched and blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and made sure the two wires didnt touch, but it never worked again. (I'm bad with electrical stuff, ) Maybe I'll do it again in the Spring when I buy an EGT gauge to switch with the useless air/fuel ratio one....haha. Hey TurboDomestics, how much did you get your Autometer EGT gauge for? Kit or no? I found a Autometer Phantom EGT (to match with Phantom Boost gauge) for about $135 or somewhere around there.
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #6
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

i would try TNT for cheap gauges, i got my boost gauge for $46, i know that boost gauges are cheaper, but TNT seems to have the best prices around.
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #7
TurboDomestics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowdsm
I've tried that dimmer switch thingy also. Worked fine for a bit, then I guess the two wires touched and blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and made sure the two wires didnt touch, but it never worked again. (I'm bad with electrical stuff, ) Maybe I'll do it again in the Spring when I buy an EGT gauge to switch with the useless air/fuel ratio one....haha. Hey TurboDomestics, how much did you get your Autometer EGT gauge for? Kit or no? I found a Autometer Phantom EGT (to match with Phantom Boost gauge) for about $135 or somewhere around there.

I bought it used for $75, with the wires and probe from CVD on this forum. Nash has an EGT gauge for sale

http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8237