MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > The Good Stuff

Old 06-15-2004   #1
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
The purpose of this post is to share an opinion and facts of a product from Redline called "Water Wetter". This is merely meant as an informative post and not a debate, if you have nothing to add that is positive START YOUR OWN THREAD. That being said, here we go.

After the arrival of some nice, but warm weather, I have noticed that coolant temps on my 92 TSi have gone higher than I desire. I do have a large PTE race core(the largest QPR offers), and that does a great job blocking flow to my radiator, which is a Modine O.E. spec replacement. I was experiencing consistent 215-225 degree temps. I am running a stock Mitsubishi thermostat which opens at approximately 197 degrees.

So on the advice of the gentlemen at QPR I ran straight distilled water with a 3/4 bottle of Water Wetter added to it. Then I waited for similar temperature days.

The next opportunity I had to log and watch my temps I was enjoying a range of 200-208 degrees. Now this is just freeway cruising, but what was really suprising is that when I would slow down and stop(exit ramps, etc..) the temps would rapidly drop into the 187-195 degrees range. The rapid drop would have never happened on a 50/50 mix without the Water Wetter. I was simply amazed. Stop and go rush hour traffic is no longer an issue anymore as I never see temps above 208 degrees, even with such abuse.

I have yet to experiment with higher engine demand circumstances(such as dynoing or track days). But do expect great results.

So in summary, I greatly recommend 100% water with Water Wetter additive for anyone ailing from high temps or for anyone in general who wishes to keep their investments in one piece.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Thanks for the results. I got mine sitting at QPR to pick up tommorow. Since the FMIC we installed my high temps on the freeway wer around 215. So im looking to lower that and not worry about it. Well see if my results are positive also.

About the mix. Can I just add the water wetter to my existing 50/50 or should I dilute it with more water. Also what happens in winter when you are running 100% water? I assume you wont drive it this winter?
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #3
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
just changed out the mix again and go with a 50/50 or whatever you prefer to run in the winter.
Old 06-16-2004   #4
LOAF

Send a message via AIM to LOAF Send a message via MSN to LOAF
I am not sure what my readings are/were before I put it in, but have researched and like the product. I do know my temps are a little cooler since I swapped to distilled water and Water Wetter. In my opinion it is worth it if it does nothing more than lube the water pump.
(@!)!(@)"""'''''**|(@) (@)**|(@)
LOAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #5
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Yeah around September I will pour in some antifreeze again. I would say instead of adding it to a 50/50 mix just run water.

678/1000
Old 06-18-2004   #6
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
How much is a bottle? It think I'm going to try it this time around.

So basically your saying with Water Wetter you must run just water. No mix.

Then for winter you just change back to your 50/50 mix

-correct?

I've been battling Temp problems for so along I've started swapping everything.

I was thinking about ordering a Fluidyne next month. to go with my new High CFM Fans I'm picking up today.
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #7
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
There are a few places to get it. We sell it for $9 a bottle. MAS has it for about $11 a bottle, and I don't know the others.
Old 06-18-2004   #8
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Quote:

-correct?

Well you don't have to run all water, but since Water Wetter only increases the effectiveness of water, there isn't much of a point for having a 50/50 mix.

Also with some dyno results for the Water Wetter, I noticed that after about maybe 5-7 pulls close to eachother, I never had temps over 190. And that is with RS Motors/Propulshun's horseshit cooling system.

678/1000
Old 06-19-2004   #9
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine TSi@Jun 18 2004, 08:59 PM
Quote:

-correct?

Well you don't have to run all water, but since Water Wetter only increases the effectiveness of water, there isn't much of a point for having a 50/50 mix.

Also with some dyno results for the Water Wetter, I noticed that after about maybe 5-7 pulls close to eachother, I never had temps over 190. And that is with RS Motors/Propulshun's horseshit cooling system.
yeah that was awesome .
Anyone that does any racing anywhere should use distilled water and water wetter mix in the summer and good old 50/50 in the winter.
Just my $.02
Old 06-21-2004   #10
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
I think I am going to stick with what was working so far on my cooling system, 50/50 mix. Actually, I may throw in a radiator fan soon but I haven't needed one so far .
Old 06-24-2004   #11
ACRucrazy

In my ACR for the last 3 yeras now i have used water, water wetter mix. Works great! Def worth it!.
Old 07-01-2004   #12
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
One thing I was thinking about is how will using straight water protect from corroding all the aluminum pipes? Antifreeze works to protect all the pipes from corrosion but if you take that out then your piping system will start to corrode. I dont think water wetter is a big protector especially since you use so little.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004   #13
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Water Wetter has no additives to prevent that. But since I didn't flush the antifreeze out, just drained it out, I am assuming the little that is in the mix still is doing something for that.

678/1000
Old 07-01-2004   #14
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by EclipseTurbo@Jul 1 2004, 12:53 PM
One thing I was thinking about is how will using straight water protect from corroding all the aluminum pipes? Antifreeze works to protect all the pipes from corrosion but if you take that out then your piping system will start to corrode. I dont think water wetter is a big protector especially since you use so little.
Distilled water is pure. It contains no minerals which are what cause corrosion in the cooling system.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004   #15
Khadgar
Can't Actually Wrench

Send a message via AIM to Khadgar
Hmm, I don't know but when I was back in to computers more, people used to use watter wetter in their watercooled rigs, I thought it did resist corrosion, I remember seeing an article somewhere about how metal can corrode just by mixing the differenty types of metal that are in the same water, I'll see if I can find the article but I thought it said that water wetter protected against it.

EDIT, I just googled for it and came up with this, http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm there were a bunch of pages that says it inhibits corrosion.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #16
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Redline Water Wetter

Great article on Redline Water Wetter:

http://www.importtuner.com/reviews/i...ves/index.html
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008   #17
Mwolf83

Drives: 91 Eagle Talon AWD, 02 WRX, 97 Civic Hatch

here is a link to a video DEI Rad Relief vs Water Wetter. I used to use the redline, but have switched to DEI, not just because of this video, but also because DEI is pretty much the name in cooling when you want the best. Also the Royal Purple Purple Ice foams way less then the Redline, so if thats a route you'd like to go. So heres the vid:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...s-1_123011.htm
Mwolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #18
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

good artical. like the last few lines

On the other hand, if the your 300 hp-per-liter 4G63 is running a little on the hot side and all the goodies under your EVO's hood limit space for a bigger radiator...a coolant additive like Water Wetter might be just what the tuner ordered.

the shit does work great it helps craig sells it and we get it cheap with styles account there
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #19
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

that anti-foaming agent is quite cool. i would take that over the other one just from the demonstration.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #20
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Hmmmm, maybe I should get some Water Wetter from Craig when I'm up there buying assembly lube. You working this Sat morning Craigy?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote