MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-07-2014   #901
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)
Re: Big Brown's Automagic - The last episode in my DSM story.

Wanna sell those laser wheels?
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #902
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Is that laser awd for fwd?
Fwd. lasers did not come Awd till 1992
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #903
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Is that laser awd for fwd?
FWD. AWD didn't come in the Laser til 1992.

(Ha, Mark beat me to it. )
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #904
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I'd like to sell it as a whole car, but I need a '90 ECU to test it out. If I can't get it running soon I'll part it as I need a core bottom end to build.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #905
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Nice fix on the spoiler!
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #906
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

If you part it I want the harness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #907
turbotalon1g

7/8/14:

Got my axle warrantied and woot! no more leaks!! I checked the car last night and for the first time ever there is zero puddles under the car!! I'm amazed.
I do need to recheck the T-case and transmission to make sure they are topped off.
I was flushing coolant to put straight water/water wetter in and discovered that my Ebay made coolant overflow tank was leaking through the sight glass. wah wuh
So I picked up this for $7.70, being over 1 quart it is NHRA legal.

Finished install for now (need to redo my UICP):

Swapped out the unused 2G MDP sensor for this beautiful adapter made by ECMLink:

90% finished install, need to get rid of that blue hose and block that line off, then the wiring will be done better once I redo the UICP.

Going to try and hookup a cooling fan switch, shift box, and vacuum pump, check T-case, and maybe tune a bit today before work. (7/9/14)
Old 07-11-2014   #908
turbotalon1g

7/9/14:

Constant working on this thing is making days a blur.
Installed a switch for the cooling fan and checked the T-case fluid. Took it for a drive and discovered that my car runs at about 200-203F in 80*F weather, I don't like it that much I'd rather be at the 195-200*F range, but oh well.
Plan is to make some ducting to maybe get there, we will see.
Didn't really end up tuning, my laptop doesn't like to be used in the car the mousepad eats its face.

7/10/14:
Long fucking day, wired up my vacuum pump but something doesn't seem quite right and I forgot to wire in a master switch.
Installed my oil psi gauge after about a year of having it, oil psi at idle warm was over 30psi, cut the spring got it to 28psi hot. (Going off coolant temps, yeah i know its not oil temp but its what i have for now)
So I pulled off the OFH, I have about 3 OFH springs, ground down about 2 coils off another since the one I cut got a little tweaked and I didn't like it.
I highly recommend grinding the spring, just be careful of how hot it gets.
I also did a little porting of the OFH relief hole since it was stock, I'm hoping between these 2 things I solve the issue for now.

I must say i like the quality of these Redhorse fittings that I got some Ravenworks, something about the finished looks really good.

7/11/14:
Powercruise starts today, but I was only planning saturday anyway.
Lots to do, the -4an SS line I have for my gauge is only 3-4ft long and needs to be replaced since it seems to be leaking, have to do that before driving it imo.
Also going to make some ducting, then hope it will be ok to take to BIR.

Thanks to Bman/Halon and Golden763/Tyler for 2.5" piping, now its up to me to make a UICP. I need to get a backpurge setup going before i make it though.

I'm hoping by solving this high oil psi issue that I will have less blowby and less leaks.

Made a ducting plate to extend under the car and force air up into the radiator. Seems to make a huge difference.
I painted it black but forgot to get a pic.

Gauge shot late night test drive before Powercruise:

Last edited by turbotalon1g; 07-14-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Old 07-11-2014   #909
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx

Lmk where the pressure sits with two coils ground off. And the porting. I have ported the crap outta mine and it's also still too high so I'd like to see where u end up.
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #910
carltalon

Drives: 98 Eclipse GSX Auto
Send a message via AIM to carltalon Send a message via Yahoo to carltalon

Have you seen this oil pressure spring.
http://www.jnztuning.com/product_inf...665dd5c288b6fe
Old 07-11-2014   #911
dsmreck

Nice find. Now who has one to copy lol. I think I'll go the DIY route for noe
Old 07-12-2014   #912
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

I think that's the one he has Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #913
turbotalon1g

7/11/14:
My late night test drive before bed showed that I cut the spring down a bit too much, luckily I had a spare so I used it. I think the cutting of the spring and porting combo was a bit more than I wanted.

7/12/14:
2 hr drive to BIR was fine no hiccups, passed tech with no issues. Met up with some friends and I proceeded to change out OFH springs.

Took it on the first open lap session, did 3/4 lap because I misunderstood the signage they had up. They had really poor signs/directions for this event it was crazy frustrating.
Got back on, second lap on the backstretch frum rolled a white galant that was messing with me a little from turn 2 onwards. This thing was quick, I was thinking evo8/9 swap or something.
Got to the back stretch slowed to about 50 and punched it, car grabs second about 5k rpm, look over and that sob is right there, but I'm pulling on him slowly, shifts 3rd and now I'm moving, but damn that galant moved I wanted to see more of it up close. (No worry he will be at the CO).
Get on the brakes hard before the last corner onto the main stretch, realized that my tach is dead, WTF!
Give it gas, no beans, shift to neutral and the car dies. So there I sit right about 300' from the start lights I think just missed the turn off. Rules state I have to stay in the car and get towed off.

Get back to the pits, can't see anything obvious figure I overheated a coil pack or something. 10 mins after being back make sure all the ignition stuff is plugged and bam she fires right up!

I decide to let her cool down and ride around the track with my brother now that he and our friends are finally tech'd in.
It's a blast of a time, good event to shake the cars down although the wheel to wheel with noobs is a bit scary.

Had lunch and then it was arm drop racing time, 1/8th mile only and some random chick to flag the races.
Not too bad, even though the tune on my car looked good, it was not from a dig. Had to add some fuel in. I could not for the life of me get the car to stall. I was only getting 10psi and 3000rpms, car would roll out slowly and then hit 4500ish rpm and then move out.
Of course I lined up against the white galant again, a few times actually, everyone would leave before me as I had to wait to stall and every flag person did it different which was annoying.
Tuned it a bit better and figured that I need a converter, but I'd still keep going and work on the tune.
It was fun running people down, but a bit weird that I wasn't leaping ahead as usual.

Had some food, ran into the white galant in the pits, he said he has a 4G eclipse 3.8 V6 swap and he is right around 300whp I think. He says he has weight out of the car without it been visible. Very impressive IMO and a lot of room left for power I guess.

Went back out for the 2nd round of cruising, didn't get to line up with anyone but did a roll anyway on that back stretch, hard on the brakes, seemed ok, got to about the 330' on the main stretch and I lose tach signal again and the car won't accelerate, so I coast to the inside dirt between 1 and 2. Figured I just need some cool down time, officials want me off so i get towed again.
I play the waiting game again, but I check all the ignition stuff sooner, see the power transistor plug is 1/2 way up and the spring clip is broken/missing off the harness (little squeeze tab to release the plug) I run a zip tie around it and call it good for now.

Go walk around and see some badass cars, Ravenworks had their 1000whp 88mm fox body with all kinds of custom/one off items on it.

After this I'm just tired as shit, decide to help some people with their cars and get some rides in some cars. Watch their little street outlaw's competition and then get a call from friends they want to leave and not stay another night since of them spun a bearing and the other doesn't want to drive hard without a trailer.

Drove 2 hrs home with no issues.
Dropping my friend off at his place in Dayton:

Get home and my good friend Munchgsx is there, some of his friends were supposed to be out and about and I wanted to have some fun with my car so we went out.
Got the car tuned no problems, ran into a sweet black Legacy STI, no clue whats on it, just they want to run it.

Sounds good to me, they want a 40-45ish roll, I don't think I brake boosted we take off neck and neck, revving the car to 8k which ended up being a waste since I don't have cams, grab 3rd and we are still pretty even, but then catch up to traffic and split.
Get another chance, with some room now. I'm still revving to 8k like an idiot, and I say we are about even or they are ahead by a fender maybe.

Their car is a built 2.5L with a 25G on 28psi supposedly. I have money that car does no less than 500whp, although more like 550+whp.

Meet up with some other friends and I'm about ready to turn in so I ask some locals if they want to follow me, people talk shit and surprisingly people want to dig, although one was a GN guy and they can dig, although I tell him I'm on E85 and his dick shrivels up and he shuts up.
I find a R6 to run and we head out, every one is antsy and can't seem to wait for a good spot so we do it up, I brake boost 2nd to about 20psi and go I get out maybe a fender and seem to hold him get 3rd and Nick says that I'm moving on him, although from the sound that dude had no lapse between shifts I'm impressed. Catch up to traffic and I jam on the brakes hard, wah wuh tach dies and car acts like it has a boost leak. I tell Nick that we are SOL and I hope he has a book to read while this things cools down.

We mess with random shit, wait a bit and it fires up. He didn't log it
Oh well car runs/feels good I get close to home and do a pull and brake hard, happens again. Luckily we get it figured out and head home, but not before a cop pulls up just as we start the car to head home.
Luckily he was just making sure we were good, I told him fuel pump is dying and just got it started again. I had the car off, so no gauges in sight and car isn't loud so he lets us go doesn't even look at my license, etc.

7/13/14:
I found a deal on a A1000 FPR, realize that when I upgrade to bigger lines the mini fuelab will be a restriction.

Get that installed and go for a drive, a friend of mine picked up a '93 eclipse AWD racecar SCCA racer thing. It's great, esp. for the price he paid.
Car drives fine, get close to home do a pull to replicate the issue and nothing. Well once isn't enough so I go past my place and decide to do a dig, I have to tune it right?
Get the car lined up, start log, foot brake it and builds boost pretty quick I wait what feels like a second extra and suddenly the car gets over the hump boost is picking up to about 15psi and rpms are moving up now, I say F it and let go, get a bit of wheel spin bu the car is moving!
Boom 2nd gear, revs pretty quick thru 2nd, even harder shift into 3rd I hit what would be about 1000' and jam the brakes. Everything is good!!

Thanks to the tune, the car can now dig race and no more stalling/dying issue!
Get home, everything looks good so I take the old lady to get ice cream, get about a mile from the house and tell her about the racecar and she asks, why didn't we drive it? Plus I told her watch how now we are in the DD someone will want to race us. Earlier she didn't want to ride in it, now she does! damn women.

Well plan as of now is to race at BIR Wednesday since I have the day off and everything seems to be working as it should. I'll install the shift box to make it shift even harder and I will have to install the trans cooler fan so that I can lap it harder, it takes forever for that thing to cool down.

As the car sits I think it might trap 123-125, the no top end with stock auto cams is killing it, however if I change it I might not be able to get the car to stall from a dig. Yay auto world!
Old 07-14-2014   #914
turbotalon1g

7/11/14:
My late night test drive before bed showed that I cut the spring down a bit too much, luckily I had a spare so I used it. I think the cutting of the spring and porting combo was a bit more than I wanted.

7/12/14:
2 hr drive to BIR was fine no hiccups, passed tech with no issues. Met up with some friends and I proceeded to change out OFH springs.

Took it on the first open lap session, did 3/4 lap because I misunderstood the signage they had up. They had really poor signs/directions for this event it was crazy frustrating.
Got back on, second lap on the backstretch frum rolled a white galant that was messing with me a little from turn 2 onwards. This thing was quick, I was thinking evo8/9 swap or something.
Got to the back stretch slowed to about 50 and punched it, car grabs second about 5k rpm, look over and that sob is right there, but I'm pulling on him slowly, shifts 3rd and now I'm moving, but damn that galant moved I wanted to see more of it up close. (No worry he will be at the CO).
Get on the brakes hard before the last corner onto the main stretch, realized that my tach is dead, WTF!
Give it gas, no beans, shift to neutral and the car dies. So there I sit right about 300' from the start lights I think just missed the turn off. Rules state I have to stay in the car and get towed off.

Get back to the pits, can't see anything obvious figure I overheated a coil pack or something. 10 mins after being back make sure all the ignition stuff is plugged and bam she fires right up!

I decide to let her cool down and ride around the track with my brother now that he and our friends are finally tech'd in.
It's a blast of a time, good event to shake the cars down although the wheel to wheel with noobs is a bit scary.

Had lunch and then it was arm drop racing time, 1/8th mile only and some random chick to flag the races.
Not too bad, even though the tune on my car looked good, it was not from a dig. Had to add some fuel in. I could not for the life of me get the car to stall. I was only getting 10psi and 3000rpms, car would roll out slowly and then hit 4500ish rpm and then move out.
Of course I lined up against the white galant again, a few times actually, everyone would leave before me as I had to wait to stall and every flag person did it different which was annoying.
Tuned it a bit better and figured that I need a converter, but I'd still keep going and work on the tune.
It was fun running people down, but a bit weird that I wasn't leaping ahead as usual.

Had some food, ran into the white galant in the pits, he said he has a 4G eclipse 3.8 V6 swap and he is right around 300whp I think. He says he has weight out of the car without it been visible. Very impressive IMO and a lot of room left for power I guess.

Went back out for the 2nd round of cruising, didn't get to line up with anyone but did a roll anyway on that back stretch, hard on the brakes, seemed ok, got to about the 330' on the main stretch and I lose tach signal again and the car won't accelerate, so I coast to the inside dirt between 1 and 2. Figured I just need some cool down time, officials want me off so i get towed again.
I play the waiting game again, but I check all the ignition stuff sooner, see the power transistor plug is 1/2 way up and the spring clip is broken/missing off the harness (little squeeze tab to release the plug) I run a zip tie around it and call it good for now.

Go walk around and see some badass cars, Ravenworks had their 1000whp 88mm fox body with all kinds of custom/one off items on it.

After this I'm just tired as shit, decide to help some people with their cars and get some rides in some cars. Watch their little street outlaw's competition and then get a call from friends they want to leave and not stay another night since of them spun a bearing and the other doesn't want to drive hard without a trailer.

Drove 2 hrs home with no issues.
Dropping my friend off at his place in Dayton:

Get home and my good friend Munchgsx is there, some of his friends were supposed to be out and about and I wanted to have some fun with my car so we went out.
Got the car tuned no problems, ran into a sweet black Legacy STI, no clue whats on it, just they want to run it.

Sounds good to me, they want a 40-45ish roll, I don't think I brake boosted we take off neck and neck, revving the car to 8k which ended up being a waste since I don't have cams, grab 3rd and we are still pretty even, but then catch up to traffic and split.
Get another chance, with some room now. I'm still revving to 8k like an idiot, and I say we are about even or they are ahead by a fender maybe.

Their car is a built 2.5L with a 25G on 28psi supposedly. I have money that car does no less than 500whp, although more like 550+whp.

Meet up with some other friends and I'm about ready to turn in so I ask some locals if they want to follow me, people talk shit and surprisingly people want to dig, although one was a GN guy and they can dig, although I tell him I'm on E85 and his dick shrivels up and he shuts up.
I find a R6 to run and we head out, every one is antsy and can't seem to wait for a good spot so we do it up, I brake boost 2nd to about 20psi and go I get out maybe a fender and seem to hold him get 3rd and Nick says that I'm moving on him, although from the sound that dude had no lapse between shifts I'm impressed. Catch up to traffic and I jam on the brakes hard, wah wuh tach dies and car acts like it has a boost leak. I tell Nick that we are SOL and I hope he has a book to read while this things cools down.

We mess with random shit, wait a bit and it fires up. He didn't log it
Oh well car runs/feels good I get close to home and do a pull and brake hard, happens again. Luckily we get it figured out and head home, but not before a cop pulls up just as we start the car to head home.
Luckily he was just making sure we were good, I told him fuel pump is dying and just got it started again. I had the car off, so no gauges in sight and car isn't loud so he lets us go doesn't even look at my license, etc.

7/13/14:
I found a deal on a A1000 FPR, realize that when I upgrade to bigger lines the mini fuelab will be a restriction.

Get that installed and go for a drive, a friend of mine picked up a '93 eclipse AWD racecar SCCA racer thing. It's great, esp. for the price he paid.
Car drives fine, get close to home do a pull to replicate the issue and nothing. Well once isn't enough so I go past my place and decide to do a dig, I have to tune it right?
Get the car lined up, start log, foot brake it and builds boost pretty quick I wait what feels like a second extra and suddenly the car gets over the hump boost is picking up to about 15psi and rpms are moving up now, I say F it and let go, get a bit of wheel spin bu the car is moving!
Boom 2nd gear, revs pretty quick thru 2nd, even harder shift into 3rd I hit what would be about 1000' and jam the brakes. Everything is good!!

Thanks to the tune, the car can now dig race and no more stalling/dying issue!
Get home, everything looks good so I take the old lady to get ice cream, get about a mile from the house and tell her about the racecar and she asks, why didn't we drive it? Plus I told her watch how now we are in the DD someone will want to race us. Earlier she didn't want to ride in it, now she does! damn women.

Well plan as of now is to race at BIR Wednesday since I have the day off and everything seems to be working as it should. I'll install the shift box to make it shift even harder and I will have to install the trans cooler fan so that I can lap it harder, it takes forever for that thing to cool down.

As the car sits I think it might trap 123-125, the no top end with stock auto cams is killing it, however if I change it I might not be able to get the car to stall from a dig. Yay auto world!
Old 07-14-2014   #915
dsmreck

sounds exciting bro. wed should be fun. so what was your oil pressure? what spring did you go back to and what is it at now for psi?

Last edited by dsmreck; 07-14-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Old 07-15-2014   #916
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

So what caused the dying issue after a pull and hard braking?
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #917
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Nice!
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #918
turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmreck View Post
sounds exciting bro. wed should be fun. so what was your oil pressure? what spring did you go back to and what is it at now for psi?
I put a stocker in there I now have about 12psi-17psi at 1000rpm, it goes up over 80psi at redline 8000rpm.

I might adjust it yet, but right now it's not on the top of my list of things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
So what caused the dying issue after a pull and hard braking?
One of my coils was dying.

Going to try and get my trans cooler fan installed today, and I'd like to get teh shift box done for tomorrow too.
Old 07-15-2014   #919
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Similar thing happened to me several years back. At the track my Dynatek/Coils kept overheating so the car wouldn't start. Then one day as I was braking at a stop light and the car just turned off. Would not restart, Nick trailered me home. Turned out the coils died.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #920
scheides
flips McGee

I can't believe this thing actually made it to the track! Congrats dude!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote