MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-31-2012   #1
dsm_talontsi

Drives: 91 Eclipse GST
Gasket Kit 6-Bolt?

Im about to pull my motor and go through all the seals, gaskets, timing, bs elimination, belts...etc. Im wondering what kit I should go with for gaskets, upper and lower. I plan to get the OE composite hg and arp's. At first I was going to go with the OEM full overhaul gasket kit from graveyard $274, but I just think its a little spendy for some paper. So I seen on rock auto they have a DNJ full upper and lower set for $110. But I dont know what to trust when it comes to cheaper kits. Anyone got some advice for me?
dsm_talontsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #2
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: Gasket Kit 6-Bolt?

I just got my kit from rock auto. The cheap one whatever its called. I think it was the DNJ one? Stuff looks just like stock, I plan on getting a few OEM gaskets in the more important spots, but I'll use the majority of it.

I got a full Gates timing belt kit for like $58 with the pulleys. I still need to get the hydraulic tensioner, I'll be going OEM for that, same with the head gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #3
dsm_talontsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
I just got my kit from rock auto. The cheap one whatever its called. I think it was the DNJ one? Stuff looks just like stock, I plan on getting a few OEM gaskets in the more important spots, but I'll use the majority of it.

I got a full Gates timing belt kit for like $58 with the pulleys. I still need to get the hydraulic tensioner, I'll be going OEM for that, same with the head gasket.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1817058

This is the one I was looking at. No issues? What should I buy individually besides the hg?

http://www.rockauto.com/info/Gates/1205570-295559.html

And for the gates timing kit is this the one you used? Im going to do the bs elimination while im at it
Old 07-31-2012   #4
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

If you buy a OEM head gasket and use that, get a kit off ebay. They are cheap and the gaskets really are not that bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Las...9d0070&vxp=mtr

I have put these kits in 3 - 600+hp engines that have held just fine as well as various stock and mild setups.

A gasket is a gasket. As long as it seals and holds up, how is one better than another?

Just get an OE head gasket or Felpro Permatorque and you'll be set!
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #5
dsm_talontsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST View Post
If you buy a OEM head gasket and use that, get a kit off ebay. They are cheap and the gaskets really are not that bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Las...9d0070&vxp=mtr

I have put these kits in 3 - 600+hp engines that have held just fine as well as various stock and mild setups.

A gasket is a gasket. As long as it seals and holds up, how is one better than another?

Just get an OE head gasket or Felpro Permatorque and you'll be set!
I think I would rather stick with the rock auto set. This ebay shit looks like crap. I dont even trust it to begin with. Nothing against you at all, but I think I will go with goodharts advice. Thanks for the input tho.
Sorry I just hate Egay
Old 07-31-2012   #6
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

What looks like crap? The head gasket? Probably is. But since you said you were going with an OE one, thats why I suggested that kit.

Like I said before, if a gasket seals and holds up, how is one better than another? I have put these next to OE gaskets and on a lot of them you cant tell them apart unless they have writing on them. That rock auto set is probably the same kit just marked up. All that shit comes from China anyways. haha

I was just trying to save you some money, I dont really care if you want to spend twice as much on gaskets, thats your problem not mine. Just letting you or anyone else know they are good kits and hold up.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #7
dsm_talontsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST View Post
What looks like crap? The head gasket? Probably is. But since you said you were going with an OE one, thats why I suggested that kit.

Like I said before, if a gasket seals and holds up, how is one better than another? I have put these next to OE gaskets and on a lot of them you cant tell them apart unless they have writing on them. That rock auto set is probably the same kit just marked up. All that shit comes from China anyways. haha

I was just trying to save you some money, I dont really care if you want to spend twice as much on gaskets, thats your problem not mine. Just letting you or anyone else know they are good kits and hold up.
Yeah of course the hg looks like crap. You have never had problems with leaks or anything using this ebay stuff? Did you buy that exact set you sent me the link to? The only thing Im wondering is what parts exactly I should buy oem besides the head gasket.
Old 07-31-2012   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I am willing to be the ebay and rockauto ones are exactly the same, just come from a different supplier but same manufacturing plant. Just like the cheap brakes, ball joints, tie rods, etc are all usually the same thing in a different box (there are some that are different).

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #9
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

wow, if I would have found a kit that cheap on ebay I would have got it. But I got the two things you linked already, the Gates timing belt kit and the DNJ gasket set. I'll be using pretty much everything but the head gasket, I'll go with OEM for that. The DNJ kit didn't come with any of the turbo gaskets either. I don't need any of that stuff yet though as mine is n/a for the time being.

tl;dr: I would get the ebay gasket kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #10
johnson

Drives: 90mitsu

Ebay awd aye! Something is going to fail before the gaskets ever will! Its a dsm!
Old 08-01-2012   #11
johnson

My dad used to just buy gasket paper and cut out all his gaskets himself! He still does! I myself am more of a gasketmaker/silicone kinda guy!
Old 08-01-2012   #12
johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
wow, if I would have found a kit that cheap on ebay I would have got it. But I got the two things you linked already, the Gates timing belt kit and the DNJ gasket set. I'll be using pretty much everything but the head gasket, I'll go with OEM for that. The DNJ kit didn't come with any of the turbo gaskets either. I don't need any of that stuff yet though as mine is n/a for the time being.

tl;dr: I would get the ebay gasket kit.

Im pretty sure you bought the same gasket kit i always buy for $50 off ebay! Sometimes i get turbo gaskets, most of the time i dont! And they always come with "five" or so waterpump gaskets! Hahahaha...
Old 08-01-2012   #13
dsm_talontsi

So I ordered the gasket kit from ebay for around $50. I got the timing component kit from rock auto for about $60, just need to get oem hydraulic tensioner. Got my arps, Oem mitsu headgasket, and bs elimination kit from Graveyard. And I got the fiav bypass plate so I can keep the isc still when blocking the fiav. Im sick of cold start idle surge.
Old 01-13-2013   #14
dsm_talontsi

So after buying the gasket kit from Ebay that all of you were telling me to get, I now have a major oil leak coming from inside the timing cover. I pulled my motor to swap into a rust free awd shell. Took it apart and it seems to be the front main seal. It was so bad that there is now oil all over my hood and Axle.
Point of my story, DON'T BUY FROM EGAY!!! Now i'm just going to buy individual gaskets