MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Good Guy / Bad Guy feedback

Old 04-06-2012   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Maaco in Fridley: Big Thumbs Down

Brought my Envoy in there for some minor body repair from hitting a road sign. I pointed at the damage and basically said "there is the damage, please repair it". He looked at it, wrote us up a quote and sent us on our way. Their quote was lower than other places, and they seemed like decent people when they quoted me. Couple weeks later decided to bring it in to them to fix. I went to pick it up today and their repair on the door looked good, but they missed repairing the rocker under the door (couple scuffs on the paint, just needed a couple dabs of touch up paint and would have been good enough). We pointed it out first to the front desk guy, then to the owner.

The only solution they offered us was to give them an additional $75 and they would fix it. They said they missed it on the quote on somehow, and since it wasn't on the quote then they aren't fixing it. The owner admitted he must have missed it on the quote (the owner is who quoted us), said he took responsibility for that, but still wanted us to pay $75 more for them to fix it.

Unacceptable in my book. When I look through 20 lines of a quote, I don't follow what it all means verbatim. I told him we brought it to them under good faith that they were an honest business, providing an honest quote to repair all the damage. I told him I felt con'd by the fact that they quoted me for 95% of the work (without me realizing it) to make their quote look cheaper, and I chose them based on that price, they got my business and didn't fully repair it. He was unwilling to repair the damage. So as a business owner, he made the business decision to let 2 guys (both car enthusiasts, and me a possible future customer with my Lexus) leave pissed off and completely unsatisfied over a measly $75. It's funny how much you can learn about a persons/businesses character over what I'd imagine is pocket change compared to the amount of business they do.

I suppose I'll stick to the Maaco in Osseo that has given me good service in the past for my cheap autobody needs Thought the Fridley one was going to be a nice closer option, but nope. I'd recommend anyone thinking of going there, to definitely reconsider.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
dsmghost

Drives: 1gb Talon TSi AWD
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmghost
Re: Maaco in Fridley: Big Thumbs Down

That sucks, any good, reputable business would have taken care of it, especially after he admitted it was his own mistake.
dsmghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #3
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

You can scan me over the quote Brandon and I can review/advise if its on there. One of the things I do daily is review accident repair quotes for fleet vehicles. (High level determination to repair or sell asset, but I still can decipher most of that crap).
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #4
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45

It's Maaco, wouldn't this be expected?
Old 04-06-2012   #5
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchgsx View Post
This.

ALso I don't recommend Gales in blaine, they have done work for me in the past, but basically they delayed repair of my car for over a week.
Anywho, if you need a place to go I'd choose AMerican auto body in brooklyn park, my civic is there right now and they have excellent service and I've seen numerous cars from there with good quality.

Good luck bman.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #6
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchgsx View Post
+1
You pretty much stole the words out of my mouth.

I wouldn't go to Maaco if it was my only choice for 100 miles. It really is too bad they screwed you like that. Just another reason not to choose them.
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #7
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

I know you've had pretty good luck with that other Maaco, sorry to hear the Fridley location is shitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #8
Halon
Pewp Champion

Yeah, I've had good luck in the past with the one in Osseo. I don't expect their quality to be up to the same standard as normal shops, but what I did expect was them to address and repair the damage I showed them, not completely ignore part of it.

Oh well, lesson learned, figured I'd just share it all so others can hopefully avoid it.
Old 04-07-2012   #9
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
This.

ALso I don't recommend Gales in blaine, they have done work for me in the past, but basically they delayed repair of my car for over a week.
Anywho, if you need a place to go I'd choose AMerican auto body in brooklyn park, my civic is there right now and they have excellent service and I've seen numerous cars from there with good quality.

Good luck bman.
I have went to Gales also, they repaired the M Roadster after it got hail damage. They did an excellent job on the paint, it looked factory new. The masking could have been a bit better and the rear bumper wasn't lined up perfect any more. The overspray only took about an hour to get off, but they should have been doing that and not me.

Abra in Ham Lake seems like good guys, I have a buddy that has a scoop on a guy that does cheap bodywork and he does nice work too.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #10
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

I can understand their point in charging for the repairs that they didn't quote you for (although $75 seems a little high unless they were repainting the entire rocker). I mean they shouldn't have missed it in the first place, but to expect them to repair something they didn't quote you for for free is kind of a dick move IMHO.

I agree with what the others have said, I wouldn't go to any Maaco even if it was the only option within 100 miles.
Old 04-07-2012   #11
Halon
Pewp Champion

So Kevin, say you got rear ended. Say you go to 5 shops and ask for quotes to repair the damage. After you've been to all 5 places, you choose 1 to go to based on their price. You get your car back and realize they didn't touch the damage on your trunk (not some hard to see damage, quite apparent damage). You ask why and they say oh we didn't quote to fix that, sorry must have forgot. Really, forgot that blatant damage right there that we're staring at? But now that we have your business, we'll gladly fix that for some more money though if you want.

You wouldn't be irritated in the slightest?

I do suppose I'm partially at fault here for not going over the quote with a fine tooth comb, but I don't think I should have to.

Anyway, suppose you had to be there. Just trying to forewarn others. I wouldn't go there, but if you do make sure to go through their quote with a fine tooth comb before you go any further.
Old 04-08-2012   #12
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

If I had gone to a few different shops I would have compared the estimates to see where the price differences were. Most shops are going to be right around the same area as far as price goes for the same repairs since shop labor rates are generally within a couple dollars across the board (thanks to insurance companies...). If one was drastically lower than the others, they have to be cutting a corner somewhere.

Maybe it's just cuz I'm in the industry and I know what to look for, but it's still kind of a buyer-be-ware situation.
Old 04-13-2012   #13
Revobasher

Drives: 14 Evo X GSR

Dude. Maaco! Lol

My car is at Raymond auto body. Do it right the first time
Revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #14
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

That sucks B! Usually when you get a quote its for all the damaged fixed, I agree.

I would never go to a maaco but thats just me. Ive had good luck with Lehmans.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote