MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Good Guy / Bad Guy feedback

Old 05-06-2009   #21
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Re: Magnus Motorsports

I had the majority of the same things with mine, except for the non welding. But other then that you dont see the bottom that much. espeically if you get their Magnus Fuel rail like i did.
The magnus motorsports logo isnt machined, its stamped. so obviously its not going to look machined. Oh well, as long as it works you will be fine.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #22
95tsi

Drives: a pos

Thought I'd revive this thread. I was up in Duluth driving to my cousins wedding in Virginia, rolled into it in 4th gear and heard a loud pop. From then the car wouldnt idle. Pulled over thinking I had a blown off a pipe or something like that. I didnt see anything wrong so I started pulling plugs when I noticed the intake mani.... No pictures yet but, there is a 4" crack along the weld on right above the runners. Needless to say I had to rig it(tape, bubble gum, some paper, and a shoe string) to make it back to Duluth and now I have some JB Weld on it so hopefully I will make it back to St Cloud to get it fixed up properly. Yea for magnus!!
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #23
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

One good thing is they do offer warrenty on that stuff. BUT good luck getting it to them. I didnt know how hard it was to ship to canada until I had to deal with this.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #24
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

We need some pics man! and pics of the temporary fix also

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #25
95tsi

Drives: a pos

not quite as epic as some but, either way its a pos. Sorry, no pics of the really stupid Macgyver'd roadside fix.

The JB weld bandaid.

what lies below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0194 (Small).JPG
Views:	610
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	9224   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0197 (Small).JPG
Views:	668
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	9225  
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #26
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

ghey. Time for a venom!

Quote:
Old 09-20-2009   #27
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey

Does nobody remember all the garbage 1_Vicious_GSX went through with Magnus a few years ago? That in itself shows that regardless of their accomplishments, Magnus Motorsports is a poorly run business.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #28
blageo23
AWD4G64

Bring this back from the dead...
Ordered a RWD magnus for another car and I am less then amused by the quality of this one.
#1- 4 Months to get
#2- Center punch divots on the top side of the manifold (where they would have drilled for a regular mangus for the vacuum ports)
#3- Plate where the vacuum ports are is not even tapped
#4- Seems as tho the runners are not centered properly. looks as they filled with the welder a bit
#5- Nit pick but the magnus logo is milled on the top and bottom. they really couldn't make a different plenum for the RWD or machine it later.

I am calling tomorrow to talk to them. But as of right now I will never purchase another magnus manifold again nor will I recommend it to anyone.
Old 01-21-2010   #29
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

JMF FTW!! I love mine!
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #30
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638 View Post
JMF FTW!! I love mine!

Pushit2.0 REEF>JMF

Quote:
Old 01-21-2010   #31
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

What is this, SBR 2.0?

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #32
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

That guy Greg, who did the intake flow testing, said he had a nice SMIM design and made, but was just looking for a local company to sell them...

Looks very nice.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #33
blageo23
AWD4G64

Just got off the phone with Sean at Magnus, great guy to deal with. Very helpful and took full responsibility for the product they sent. everything is being worked out.
This thread was never meant to totally flame Magnus. They are a great company and make a great product. I understand that the amount they produce there are going to be mistakes. And maybe if I wasn't such a hard customer and have one off parts made it would have been better.
Anyways They are dealing with the problem and I am once again a satisfied customer!
Old 01-29-2010   #34
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Until next time...again?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #35
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

The magnus that I bought was fine, i believe some of them crack by the #4 tube because of its proximity to the TB and the intercooling pipes.

Most people don't think about the stresses that the intake manifold experiences from the engine shaking and especially how bad it is if the intercooling piping is setup so there isnt room to flex.

Just look at the stock manifold, it has a steel brackets, one on the top and one on the bottom...I have always removed both with no ill effects, but still, mitsubisihi engineers knew that the intake manifold was one of those parts that needed to be over-designed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6953.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	9701  
Old 02-07-2010   #36
1ViciousGSX
Admin

As Jakey noted earlier in this thread, I had my problems with Magnus, and I gave them a fair thread about it, as some of the issues were not all their fault, although most were. But what did go wrong on Magnus's end never should have happened.

Not that I'm trying to defend Magnus on this, but there are two different issues in this thread.

1. The out of the box problems are very disappointing, especially for the money these intakes cost. Never should happen that way and just a visual inspection before boxing it up would/should have caught it. I don't think they pressure test each one and I can't think of anybody else that does either. But that doesn't mean others don't, I just don't know of them. Either way, Magnus dropped the ball on this one.

2. On a SMIM, there is a constant flexing of the metal that over time can crack a weld. Boost somewhat "balloons" them up a little and vacuum pulls them inward. This is a problem when using flat sheeting in this type of application. If the plenum were a completely round tube, the stresses would be distributed evenly. Welds are by nature meant to handle straight pulling forces, but when flat sheets are welded at 45 deg, 90 deg or 120 deg angles, and those flat sheets flex due to boost/vacuum, this causing flexing at the weld, which over time will fail. So over time a weld will crack and/or blow under boost. It's just the nature of using sheet metal. The bigger the areas of the sheet metal, the more flexing there is. That's why they seem to crack closer to the #3 & #4 runner. If you want to avoid it completely, go with a cast piece. Downside to a cast piece is extra weight.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)

Last edited by 1ViciousGSX; 02-07-2010 at 02:18 PM..
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #37
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I know cast intercooler end-tanks weigh less than their welded sheet metal counterparts. Not so with intake manifolds?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #38
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I know cast intercooler end-tanks weigh less than their welded sheet metal counterparts. Not so with intake manifolds?
the magnus intake mani is REALLY light. Im almost wondering why they dont use a thicker metal, probably eliminate a lot of the cracking issues because they would use a thicker weld as well. The walls of the SMIM are pretty thin.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 02-07-2010   #39
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I've never seen a cast manifold that was lighter than a SMIM, is there one out there?

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #40
tpunx99GSX

someone should make a Carbon Fiber intake manifold, that would be tight.

edit: The honda guys have them looks like a really sweet peice. http://www.advancedinductionresearch.com/