MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 10-23-2012   #61
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

I am going to look at new hunting spots for my son and I. We might head up north another 20 miles so we can get in rifle territory, Cambridge area. I would love to hunt with the AR-15! I got a nice buck last year, but need to get Mav his first deer.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #62
mike55112

Drives: 04 evo

This year is the first year hunting for me, I've been bow hunting. I'm hunting some property up in isanti and have yet to see anything worth taking a shot, I'm hooked. Even not getting anything yet, I have really enjoyed my expirence so far.
03 tb evo- current
mike55112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #63
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Remember rifle is north of 95 in Cambridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #64
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Old 10-30-2012   #65
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Hahahaha love it!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #66
JET
Is funding Exxon.

My son and I found our new hunting spot last weekend and we are in rifle territory. I am using my AR-15 and I have been doing research on the best hunting rounds for .223 since it is a smaller caliber and I want to be able to hit decent out to about 300 yards. My son is shooting a .243, but where he is at he will have closer shots, so we can always switch if we have issues or I may just buy another .243 since that is a great deer rifle cartridge. We are in an intensive harvest area, so 5 deer each!

Old 10-31-2012   #67
A//// Guy

Nice! Id like to find some public land to hunt on near the cities like that. Are you just using national forest?
Old 10-31-2012   #68
JET
Is funding Exxon.

We are hunting on a Wildlife Management Area, there are tons of them around. Here is a slick tool from the DNR: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

We hunted on one just up from us last year, but that is shotgun territory still. This one is about 35 minutes away and I talked to a guy that lives right next to it and he said nobody really uses it. He and his son go sometimes, but that is usually it. 40 acres of land on this one. Another one just up the road is the backup plan and that one is 61 acres. Only downside is that you can't drive in them so everything has to be drug in and out.

Old 10-31-2012   #69
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!

40 acres can get tight in a hurry. If there are more than a few vehicles when you get out there, I'd suggest not going.

.223 can be a small round for deer. Ensure you have enough powder and the bullet is designed to expand. Muzzle velocity will be much higher than my .30-30, but I would suggest to keep your targets within an effective 150 yards or closer, due to the rapid slowing down of that round.
Same goes with the .243 your son is using, could be small, shot placement is key. Why not a 7mm?

Good luck out there, and I am not trying to insult you. Just want to ensure you get a good and humane kill shot with your weapons of choice.
Old 10-31-2012   #70
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Yea 40 acres seems really small. If it's somewhat of a square shape, that means your .223 can easily shoot the entire length of the hunting spot in any direction.

This thread really makes me want to go deer hunting, it's been a really long time since I've hunted.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #71
A//// Guy

40 acres does get really small in a hurry. If more than just you guys are out there, I wouldnt go either. I hunt in WI on my parents neighbors land and he has 40 acres.

I agree with what Swanny said.

Ive used the DNR maps quite a bit, and WMA land is nice! I just havent explored any of it yet, and I wonder how crowded it can be. Im pretty leery of public land near the cities.
Old 10-31-2012   #72
JET
Is funding Exxon.

We hunted on Gordie Mikkelson last year, that is over 800 acres and there were a max of 8 other guys on it, so 10 total. That is why I checked in with the land owner that lives right there, I wanted to make sure there weren't more than 2 other people hunting there. Lots of woods around, so it could support 4 no problem.

Why would you need a round bigger than .243 for deer? You are just going to blow all the energy out the back side and waste it anyway. I guess if you miss a vital shot and need a good blood trail is the major reason I can think of. Get a good round that has rapid expansion and the smaller rounds will do major damage. With the newer bullets out 250 yards seems to be general consesus for .223, some say as low as 200. On forums where guys have been using .223 for a long time there are lots of guys that have taken deer at 400+ and just dropped them. Where my stand will be I dont' think I will have a shot over 200, so I should be good.

I am toying with getting a new gun that is a bit bigger. I have always wanted a 30-06 or 7mm Mag, but that is way overkill on deer. I am a sucker for a really flat shooting round and would love a .257 Weatherby Mag, but they are $$$. I may end up with a 25-06 as ammo isn't bad and they are pretty popular.

I am heading to Bill's North range for final sighting in Thursday night if anyone else wants to go!

Last edited by JET; 10-31-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 10-31-2012   #73
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
We hunted on Gordie Mikkelson last year, that is over 800 acres and there were a max of 8 other guys on it, so 10 total. That is why I checked in with the land owner that lives right there, I wanted to make sure there weren't more than 2 other people hunting there. Lots of woods around, so it could support 4 no problem.

Why would you need a round bigger than .243 for deer? You are just going to blow all the energy out the back side and waste it anyway. I guess if you miss a vital shot and need a good blood trail is the major reason I can think of. Get a good round that has rapid expansion and the smaller rounds will do major damage. With the newer bullets out 250 yards seems to be general consesus for .223, some say as low as 200. On forums where guys have been using .223 for a long time there are lots of guys that have taken deer at 400+ and just dropped them. Where my stand will be I dont' think I will have a shot over 200, so I should be good.

I am toying with getting a new gun that is a bit bigger. I have always wanted a 30-06 or 7mm Mag, but that is way overkill on deer. I am a sucker for a really flat shooting round and would love a .257 Weatherby Mag, but they are $$$. I may end up with a 25-06 as ammo isn't bad and they are pretty popular.

I am heading to Bill's North range for final sighting in Thursday night if anyone else wants to go!
Good points Justin. I am a big advocate of DRT (dead right there) shots. My weapon is a 30-30 and I shoot 150 grain softpoint win. rounds by Federal Ammunition. I've shot smaller caliber weapons but never hunted with them, just read stories about having to follow blood trails and put a few rounds in deer if the shot isn't perfect.

I'd rather waste a bit of shoulder meat and make a kill shot that penetrates everything and drops them there. I've always thought of the .223 as good military rounds (maybe because that's all I've fired out of those type of guns), great accuracy at range and great for piercing stuff, but don't open up enough to cause damage in medium/big game? Who knows again never hunted with it or shopped for ammo for one, I don't own an AR-15, yet.

The areas I hunt, 100 yards for an open shot is pushing it as I am in the thick swamp/woods.

FYI: MN DNR requires a .220 round or larger. So your .223 is legal and should work.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulatio...artridges.html

I'll be packing the truck Thursday as I am heading out early Friday, otherwise I'd join you. I need to get a new cocking ring for my Mosin and then I want to to go to Bills to ensure she is true before I sporterize it, but alas that is for another thread.

Good luck on the hunt and stay safe out there. I was more concerned with the land size and it being a WMA. Ryan and I were discussing hitting WMA's for meat, maybe next year, unless we both stamp out a buck early and want to go after additional freezer food.

Last edited by niterydr; 10-31-2012 at 03:54 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #74
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Well after researching good .223 deer hunting rounds the only place that carries them is the big gander mountain stores (who was out) and probably Cabelas, but I don't have one close. So I said screw it and I bought a cheaper .270. Savage axis XP with stainless barrel. It was an impulse buy, but it got pretty good reviews and I probably wouldn't lose much if I sold it. Cheap rounds and faster than a 30-06.

Last edited by JET; 11-01-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Old 11-01-2012   #75
A//// Guy

30-06 is what I use and what my dad has been using for years. Never had a bullet go clean through the other side... lol .223 seems small to me, but thats just my opinion, especially 200+ yards out, thats a long ways away to get an accurate shot, unless the deer stands there for a couple minutes.

I hit bills last week just to make sure the new gun is still sighted in nicely. All is set! WOO cant wait head up tomorrow! Good luck guys!
Old 11-01-2012   #76
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Yeah, good luck everyone and lets see pics of some big deer in here!! Going to set up stands tomorrow afternoon!

Old 11-01-2012   #77
A//// Guy

I checked the weather and compared to last year it should be much much better. Last years high winds for opener sucked! Looks like 3mph NW winds for up north, perfect!
Old 11-01-2012   #78
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL

I miss deer hunting, I've not really gone since 2004 before I moved to FL/joined the military.

I sort of went last year for a weekend, but, it was also my first weekend as a free man(first week of terminal leave) and I was generally too drunk to function and my gun never left it's case.
bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #79
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

If you want a flat shooting gun use a .270 or .308, far better round than an ought six or 30-30 imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012   #80
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Actually the 30-06 has superior ballistics to the .308, the 30-30 isn't in the same league as any of those. The 30-06 and .308 are close though and both very good rounds. I shot my .270 a bit last night and it is quite accurate. It was a combo and came with a scope, obviously it isn't that good and I am going to put something else on there before next year. Probably a mid grade 4-12 power vs the cheap 3-9 that is on there now.