MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 04-25-2008   #1
DSM_421
Banned

Drives: down the middle of the fairway bitches!
So I want to paint my valve cover...

I know most people will powder coat it or even anodize it, but I want to do it my self, and for basically free.

So I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything too useful on how to paint a valve cover.

I just want to hear a quick run down from someone who has either done this them selves or is pretty familiar with painting. I my self have never painted anything in my life.

I'm guessing a basic procedure would be to...

1. Brake clean the shit out of the valve cover.
2. Look for cracks and imperfections.
3. Sand the valve cover, then tape off what I don't want painted.
4. Lay a primer or base coat down???
5. Wait 15 minutes after step 4 and hit it with the color I want. (high temp paint obviously)
6. Wait 15 minutes and hit it with another coat.
7. Wait another 15 minutes, hit it with the final coat of paint.
8. Wait until dry, hit it with a few coats of clear, waiting 15 minutes between each coat?

Please feel free to add / remove / fix any of my steps. I have no idea really how to paint, just a general concept. I know this probably won't look the most professional, but to be honest I don't care I just want to have fun doing this.

Thanks!
DSM_421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #2
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Re: So I want to paint my valve cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM_421 View Post
I know most people will powder coat it or even anodize it, but I want to do it my self, and for basically free.

So I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything too useful on how to paint a valve cover.

I just want to hear a quick run down from someone who has either done this them selves or is pretty familiar with painting. I my self have never painted anything in my life.

5. Wait 15 minutes after step 4 and hit it with the color I want. (high temp paint obviously)
8. Wait until dry, hit it with a few coats of clear, waiting 15 minutes between each coat?

Please feel free to add / remove / fix any of my steps. I have no idea really how to paint, just a general concept. I know this probably won't look the most professional, but to be honest I don't care I just want to have fun doing this.

Thanks!

after and before shot of what the valve cover looked like

It is not shiny like powder coating but I think it looks damn good

I used a high temp primer and paint when I did mine

The primer was grey, I masked off the letters and painted the rest red. When I took off the letters, the grey letters were still there and by chance (didn't plan this) they match the timing belt cover.

I also used some paint stripper that was some real nasty shit but it took the old paint off really well. Didn't use brake cleaner

But basicly the steps you laid out are correct exept for maybe the timing. I thought I had to wait a while more for the coats to set. However I did the steps over a couple of days just to make sure the paint cured. I didn't use a clear coat. Maybe thats why it isn't shiny but I really like how mine turned out.

Mine is off of a galant. Before it was the typical grey color which didn't match my car. Plus my car is a mitsubishi, might as well say it on the valve cover. Looks better IMO

Sorry that the pictures are really big but you get the idea. I had fun painting it myself! you should definatly try it! Just remember be patient don't rush the painting. You won't have it done in one day probably. Also wait for weather a little bit better then what we are having right now.

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 04-25-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #3
DSM_421
Banned

Thanks for the input!

Valve cover looks REAL nice, just makes me want to do it my self even more.

Might have to stop by Napa tomorrow and pick up the 1200 degree F semi-gloss black paint. Then hit it with the 500 degree F clear paint.
Old 04-25-2008   #4
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Thanks for the input!

Valve cover looks REAL nice, just makes me want to do it my self even more.

Might have to stop by Napa tomorrow and pick up the 1200 degree F semi-gloss black paint. Then hit it with the 500 degree F clear paint.
I used duplicolor for the primer and the paint. The primer is 1200F and the paint is 500F

I checked what I used for paint stripper and it is aircraft paint/primer remover. It worked really good exept the stuff is bad shit! use gloves(throw them away after use) and I used a plastic bondo putty applicator (so I could throw it away). I highly recomend it but be warned don't get it on your skin Burns like shit! and smells bad. However it will get inbetween the lettering which is hard to do if you are stripping the paint by hand.
Old 04-25-2008   #5
DSM_421
Banned

Most of the paint on my valve cover is gone, although some still needs to be removed. I will probably just use an economy line paint stripper that Napa offers.

Do you remember what the 1200F primer was called? I looked at a few 1200F paints today at the Napa by me (In Wisconsin) and I don't remember seeing any type of high temp primer... Probably didn't look hard enough.

Also this Napa does as much business in a month that the old Napa I worked at does in a day lol. Huge difference in part selection...

PS - How long did you wait for the paint to set between each coat?

Edit - Also, do you remember what color red that was? Looks like it matches the paint real well. I have been trying to decide to either go red or black. Also what grit sand paper did you use?

Last edited by DSM_421; 04-25-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Old 04-25-2008   #6
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Most of the paint on my valve cover is gone, although some still needs to be removed. I will probably just use an economy line paint stripper that Napa offers.

Do you remember what the 1200F primer was called? I looked at a few 1200F paints today at the Napa by me (In Wisconsin) and I don't remember seeing any type of high temp primer... Probably didn't look hard enough.

Also this Napa does as much business in a month that the old Napa I worked at does in a day lol. Huge difference in part selection...

PS - How long did you wait for the paint to set between each coat?

Edit - Also, do you remember what color red that was? Looks like it matches the paint real well. I have been trying to decide to either go red or black. Also what grit sand paper did you use?
*going to garage and getting paint cans*

The brand is Dupli-Color

The primer is Dupli-Color High Heat (with Ceramic) 1200F
main factors is
remove loose paint, dirt, rust, grease, wax, ext
Wash with mild soap and water, rinse and dry
paint at temps around 60-92 and humidity less then 60%
2 light coat
1 medium wet coat
apply all coats within 1 hour allowing 10 min inbetween each coat
for additional coats after 1 hour, wait 7 days for paint to cure
dries to the touch in 1 hour
can be handled in 3 hours
For maximum hard heat to 300 for 2 hours (didn't do, o well)

Dupli Color Engine Enamel (with Ceramic) 500F- for color I just looked on the can cover, they only had only a couple of colors to choose from

directions

remove loose paint, dirt, rust, grease, wax, ext
Wash with mild soap and water, rinse and dry
Apply Dupli-Color engine primer to bare metal surfaces (the high temp primer was all I could find for primer so thats what I thought it was refering to)
paint at temps around 60-92 and humidity less then 60%
2 light coat
1 medium wet coat
apply all coats within 1 hour allowing 10 min inbetween each coat
for additional coats after 1 hour, wait 7 days for paint to cure
dries to the touch in 1 hour
can be handled in 3 hours

For sand paper... well probably I should have wet sanded or something but didn't.... Looked good to me... I did sand the valve cover once it was bare metal. I found out the stock paint covered a lot of imperfections or jagged edges. Smoothed them down with some sandpaper.

One thing that I have found when everything was painted and installed... you loose the ability to use the valve cover as a tool box. I can't bring myself to put tools into it anymore

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 04-26-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #7
DSM_421
Banned

Yea word to that, I love how the tool box can hold a GRIP of tools, but once it is painted it no longer will be used as a tool box lol.

Unless I decided to throw an old shirt over it or something, then it can be used as a tool chest again.

Thanks andrew... But what grit sand paper did you use??? If you remember, I'm sure a medium grade followed by a fine grade will work just fine. I just want to know what you used however sincey our VC looks so good!
Old 04-26-2008   #8
HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian

Quote:

1.5)drink a shot
2.5)drink a shot
3.5)drink a shot
4.5) drink a shot
5.5)drink a shot
6.5)drink a shot
7.5)drink a shot
8.5)drink a shot
9. Go get another bottle

Thanks!
fixed!
Old 04-26-2008   #9
DSM_421
Banned

lol Brian... I knew I was missing a few steps, all makes sense now!
Old 04-26-2008   #10
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

you can paint it as long as you paint it bright PURPLE!! Pink has been taken...

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
AwdGSX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #11
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

I want to paint my valve cover as well, but do you have to sand the valve cover before you paint if it still has the same finish that came from the factory? It's got that weird texture on it.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #12
DSM_421
Banned

Most likely, so that the paint has something to adhere to.

Has been snowing all day in Wisconsin, hopefully it will be nice out so I can start this mini project. But I doubt it.
Old 04-27-2008   #13
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean2g View Post
I want to paint my valve cover as well, but do you have to sand the valve cover before you paint if it still has the same finish that came from the factory? It's got that weird texture on it.
I paint stripped mine. After I did, I noticed that the factory paint (which was pretty thick) covered up a lot of flaws. I just took some sandpaper and sanded the imperfections down a bit. Wasn't that big of deal. I don't know what I used for sandpaper. All I know is finish with a fine grade sand so when you paint over it, the sanding marks will be covered up. I don't think I even spent that much time sanding it down...

Paint strip it and see what you have

For the fun of it I have collected almost every valve cover that can go onto this engine. they are on my wall. I might just repaint them all for the fun of it... however maybe I don't have that much time on my hands

Mitsubishi valve cover
hyundai valve
anything else?

I want to find another one and sand the letters down to smooth it out. How hard is that? someone chime in who has experience!