MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-21-2010   #1
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Evo X: WORKS short shifter vs. TWM short shifter

In the name of science, and my anal obsession with having the best possible setup, I removed my WORKS shifter and installed a TWM just to get a feel for the differences. I'll sell the one I then decide isn't my favorite. You can see my original WORKS review here: http://forums.evolutionm.net/service...ml#post8421188

The reason I picked up a TWM was because I sat in a friends car and went "Whoa! This feels WAY different!" It's obvious WORKS and TWM went about the design in completely different ways so I wanted to get a good feel for both to see which best fits my needs. Both are in the same ballpark price range, but WORKS is the cheaper option. I have the complete set of WORKS shifter bushings (underhood and base) and the AMS pivot gate bushing with no plans to change those. I've had metal bushings in previous cars and I'm very happy with how the urethane bushings feel/perform. I am testing both shifters with the WORKS Grab aluminum shift knob; I previously have used the stock leather and optional aluminum knobs but the Grab has the best feel due to being slightly heavier.

Initial impressions are the TWM has shorter throw, the knob sits lower, and it centers the knob in the shift boot area. It is not as comfortable for relaxed driving (keeping my elbow on the arm rest) though; the WORKS put the knob in the perfect location as far as that's concerned. I haven't done any actual driving yet (just pulled out and back into my garage) so I will know more later today after I give it a good drive (see below for updated driving impressions).

Comparison of stock vs. TWM vs. WORKS. You'll notice that TWM's knob height is the lowest, but WORKS has the longest lever below the fulcrum ball while still lowering the knob compared to stock. The stock angles the knob slightly rearward, TWM brings it to the left, and WORKS does both rearward and left.

TWM in neutral:

WORKS in neutral:

stock in neutral:

I now have somewhere in the range of 20-30 miles on the TWM so I can give some slightly updated impressions of it. No matter what, I plan to at least leave the TWM in my car for a full week to make sure I can experience it in a variety of situations (entrance ramp pulls, fast corners, traffic, etc.).

TWM short-shifter
-shortest throw
-lowest knob
-a bit notchy & mechanical feeling compared to WORKS
-furthest reach for the knob, I find myself stretching for 3rd and 5th gear (I am 6'3", my seat is not all the way back and I sit in an upright position)

WORKS short-shifter
-knob slightly lower than stock
-slightly longer throws than TWM but still much shorter than stock
-this really seems like a "driver's" shifter, no stretching for the knob (5th is were 3rd is on the TWM)

stock shifter
-I disliked the stock shifter
-throws are too long
-the knob sits too high

If I had to make a decision right now I would take the TWM out and put the WORKS back in, but like I said, I am going to give the TWM at least a week in my car so I can better experience it.

I'd also like to add a disclaimer stating that I did pay for both shifters with my own personal money. Neither WORKS nor TWM is sponsoring this test/comparison in any way. I will be selling the shifter I decide against to help recoup some funds at the conclusion of this test so if you're interested in purchasing one please watch the classifieds over the next week or two.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote