MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 11-15-2004   #1
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm
MSD Digital DIS-2?

I was talking to my cousin who used to own a Turbocharged Civic HB. He was telling me about getting an ignition system for my car. He said that he felt the difference once he has his installed onto his car. I dont hear much about DSMs using MSDs. I just want to know if its a good investment for next year?

While I'm hear, I might as well ask about the Super-AFC. I'm kinda of a newb when it comes to electronics! But...does the S-AFC help with performance. I've heard both sides about the S-AFC and I want some opinions from people who've been here and done this. Its its going to help, then I'll start doing research on tuning the afc for when I get one next year. Sorry if I'm being annoying with so many questions. I'm starting to get into the more complicated stuff (for me atleast).
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Most people don't need the amplified spark signal until they are running a very high amount of cylinder pressure.
The S-afc, is one of the many piggybacks available for your vehicle. It is probably the most popular and widely used, due to its easy to tune with and user friendly interface. There is a yahoo group dedicated to tuning with them, but im sure many members on this site can answer any/all questions you may have about it.
Don't worry about asking questions, everyone starts somewhere and everyone has asked questions before.
I haven't looked yet, but maybe a potential goal/future mods list should be posted so we can give input on the setup.
Old 11-15-2004   #3
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
SAFC is a very good mod for a dsm. I have a MSD-DIS2 but I do not know that there is any power gain because of it. I mostly used mine for the stutterbox. If you are looking into getting one, I may sell ya mine.
Old 11-15-2004   #4
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

I dont really have a mod list yet, thats what i'm working on right now. But for now I'm trying to get to the low 13's with my 14b. For this winter, I'm just going to have QPR replace my headgasket and some other maintenance and when Spring comes I should've done my research and have my goal ready and done my the first Fun Day or Import Day at The Rock.
Old 11-15-2004   #5
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
An MSD will do next to nothing on a DSM or Honda, unless you are getting it for the 2-step. You might get slightly better gas mileage from the multiple discharge at low rpms. From personal experience, stock DSM ignition systems will handle over 600whp and stock Honda ignition systems will handle over 500whp.
Old 11-16-2004   #6
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Good thing I came here to ask about it first. I had planned to buy one next Spring, I guess I'll invest in an afc instead. Thanks guys...
Old 11-16-2004   #7
stikx
Mr -

afc does have performance gain with your logger and the afc you can make your car run really well. i will be waiting to see your car next spring
stikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004   #8
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Hmm...I have one question. Do anyone else here run lean when they start their car after its been sitting for a while. Thats whats my car does all the time, so I have to drive it for a little while and then thats when the A/F gauge starts to move. It also likes to disappear(spelling) past the red for a few seconds when I go into neutral, then it pops back up. Normal Or No?

(my car wouldn't be quick next spring, just quicker than it is now...haha)
Old 11-16-2004   #9
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55
I wouldn't rely on the A/F guage very much. They are pretty much like a light show and aren't very accurate even if you are at WOT

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004   #10
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Since our cars are common for running rich, then I shouldnt worry about what the A/F gauge says, right? I just needed something else to fill up the empty gauge pod and went with the A/F gauge.
Old 11-16-2004   #11
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowdsm
Hmm...I have one question. Do anyone else here run lean when they start their car after its been sitting for a while. Thats whats my car does all the time, so I have to drive it for a little while and then thats when the A/F gauge starts to move. It also likes to disappear(spelling) past the red for a few seconds when I go into neutral, then it pops back up. Normal Or No?

(my car wouldn't be quick next spring, just quicker than it is now...haha)
Your car should run rich when first started "cold" and there should be little if any o2 activity for up to a few minutes after starting, since the ECU stays in open loop(no o2 feedback) until warmed up.Once warmed up the o2 feedback kicks in, in which case the A/F gauge will start jumping back and forth.
Old 11-16-2004   #12
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Ohhhh.....Okay. Thanks for the info. Now I'll try my best to ignore the A/F gauge as much as possible since its not very accurate right now. Hopefully it'll come into use sometime next year, otherwise it'd be a waste of money buying it in the first place.