MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 03-31-2005   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
MBC or electric?

What are some of your opinions on what is better? I know they do the same thing, and a BC inside the car would be very nice, however as many other things, mechanical seems to stand more true. Looking for opinions, looking to buy an electric boost controller from a guy. I just want to make sure its not a bad idea. Thanks
Old 03-31-2005   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: MBC or electric?

MBC...cheap, simple, effective. I recomend either the Joe P. or Elite's.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #3
CDeutsch

Either as long as it has an in-car controller. I have both a Blitz DSBC and a Hallman Evolution Kit:
http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/applic.html

The Blitz has a built in gauge with peak hold and presets (unfortunately mines digital so it's hard to read), but for the price I like the Hallman combined with an electronic boost gauge better.

If you don't need to do much tuning and pretty much have a set boost you're always going to run then get a normal manual controller. But if you want to adjust it often then get an in-car controller because getting out to adjust the boost is a PIA.
CDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #4
Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Wizard Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard

FWDs can take advantage of a EBC much more than an AWD. Dual boost settings as well as scramble/overtake settings make launching a FWD easier. There are DMBC that accomplish the same thing but still require you to pop the hood to adjust.

Comes down to price really. Electronics are usually the best as far as control and function. They have a tendency to build boost faster and control better. But it comes at a price in dollars and time to learn to use (and read the Jap). But there are some pretty nice MBCs out there like the Hallman Pro's. Damn nice boost controller and rock steady. The cockpit control just bridges the gap.

Wiz
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #5
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Heard of GBX? I guess its some electric MBC?... He did say electric manual BC... He wants 80 for it plus 10 for shipping... LMK what you all think people.. This is going in a FWD turbo laser..
Old 03-31-2005   #6
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox

I have the med-hi at the bottom of the page here: http://www.dejontool.com/DSM-MBC.htm

I love it, I have one boost(17psi) for street and another(25psi) for race. And with the push of a button I can change between either. At the end of the year last season I had problems with wheel spin(300hp AWD at slippery falls) in first so I would use low boost in first then when I made the 1-2 shift I would hit the swtich to hi boost right after. Worked really well.

I also reused the old Power/Economy switch from when my car had the auto trans in it, no switches mounted in the dash, easy to get too, and actually meaningful .

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #7
TalonTSI95

go with manual, i don't see much point in electronic. if you are tuned to a certain PSI then you should never need to change your boost.
TalonTSI95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #8
Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Wizard Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard

So weather changes or race gas use don't require a need for you to adjust boost?

It comes down to an old saying for just about anything:

"Buy the best that you can afford."

Electronics build boost quicker due to the fact that they use a solenoid to apply boost signal to the wastegate. Meaning, it will open only when the solenoid is applied. Unlike many MBCs that begin to open the gate before the set psi level. Not to mention the ability to change boost levels at the flip of a switch and a warning/overboost feature that will open the solenoid (or duty cycle it) as much as possible to prevent blowing your motor up. But, your budget and driving/racing habits will determine your boost controller. If you daily drive all the time with an AWD. Then yeah, a nice cheapo MBC will do just fine. But for weekly trips to the drag strip, FWD, etc....then consider at least the Hallman Evo or a Greddy Profec-B (Under $300).

Wiz
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005   #9
unreal808
Mr. Me Too

Drives: Suzuki GSXR

I have The HKS EVC, And love it. I hated having to pull over and adjust the boost.
Old 04-01-2005   #10
1ViciousGSX
Admin

I have the GReddy Profec-S, and once those bastards fixed it and sent it back to me, it works like a charm.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005   #11
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

The controller i can buy is a joe P mid. You set 2 different boost levels and at a flip of a switch, you can change your boost ( Im thinkin not a bad idea for FWD). IS this a respecatble BC? i can get it used for 90 bucks shipped.