MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 01-19-2004   #1
LightningGSX
Hellbound

I'm looking for a turbo for my 98, my experience doesn't go beyond the t-25 or 14b, help me out.I don't give a shit about quarter mile times, dyno numbers, racing, etc.I would gladly trade top end flow for quick spool/low end power, mods to this vehicle are for driving enjoyment only.Not much info is geared towards low end power.Any info(beyond the obvious) or experience would be appreciated.I was thinking of upgrading to a 16g and keeping my 6cm turbine housing, any input on this?
Old 01-19-2004   #2
1ViciousGSX
Admin

16g with a 7cm housing would be fine.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #3
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55
TalonTsidude is selling his big 16g and I think CVD may be getting rid of his small 16g.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #4
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Contact QPR. They are thinking about doing a group buy on 16g turbos.

7/25/09
Old 01-19-2004   #5
CVD
Sten Sniper

Drives: Evo VIII RS
Send a message via AIM to CVD
That is true. TalonTsiDude has sold his big 16G already I believe. I will be putting mine up for sale within a week or two.

Another good option for a 2G is the T28. I dont have any experience with those, but I think there are a few on the forum who have them.

From your description I think that the 16G and T28 are the two best options for you.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #6
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

The downside of a t28 is the $$$$. I am just going 14b myself. I think I heard somewhere that a 16g is better than a t28 on a 2g. Dont have the facts to back it up though.

Enes on the forums has a t28. You can try getting ahold of him and see how he likes it. I think he is pretty satisfied.

7/25/09
Old 01-19-2004   #7
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally posted by ghettostyle@Jan 19 2004, 10:57 PM
The downside of a t28 is the $$$$. I am just going 14b myself. I think I heard somewhere that a 16g is better than a t28 on a 2g. Dont have the facts to back it up though.

Enes on the forums has a t28. You can try getting ahold of him and see how he likes it. I think he is pretty satisfied.
Jeremy Brandt ( the gentleman from Des Moines that dynoed 470 on the Green @ Elite) ran a 12.2 on the FP T-28.
If you decide to push forward towards a little more power than the basic 16G area, might be worth it to check out the FP Sleeper 16 Turbo.

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #8
Iceman

I'm told nothin but good things from the T-28. I belive you also don't need new gaskets and lines. Which cuts down on money. The turbo is a little pricy but i it pays for its self in spool up :P.

A 16g is alos a good power adder and i the Big 16g is a little bit more cappable of fast 1/4 miles.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #9
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally posted by ghettostyle@Jan 19 2004, 10:47 PM
Contact QPR.* They are thinking about doing a group buy on 16g turbos.
That post led me to post this.BTW I already have a 14b on there, so a mitsu(or similar install wise) turbo would be an easy install.What about a 16g with my 6cm off my 14b, any experience with this?
Old 01-19-2004   #10
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Why would you want to replace the 14b, theres not much more to be gained by getting a 16g. Unless its the big 16 or the sleeper 16.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004   #11
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
With the 16G you will need an install kit and if it's not gonan be the drag car I say intstall kit and a 14B. A few guys with 2Gs have done this and it's a big improvement over the T25.

Otherwise get a T28 if you go new. YOu can send your core in and get a T28 for 700ish or maybe a bit more. For a 16G you will spend minimum $500 on the turbo and $200 ish on the install kit. This is if you go new in all areas.

We can help ya out or give Elite a buzz and see what they can do as well. But I'd have to suggest going the 14B used for $150ish and an install kit.
Old 01-20-2004   #12
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX+Jan 19 2004, 11:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LightningGSX @ Jan 19 2004, 11:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ghettostyle@Jan 19 2004, 10:47 PM
Contact QPR.* They are thinking about doing a group buy on 16g turbos.
That post led me to post this.BTW I already have a 14b on there, so a mitsu(or similar install wise) turbo would be an easy install.What about a 16g with my 6cm off my 14b, any experience with this? [/b][/quote]
Since I went from a 14B to a 20G, I missed out on all the 16G hoopla. If you want cheap, like under $500, get a 16G. If you have a specific goal in mind, have Shane whip you up a mac daddy PTE turbo with wheels and housings to meet your needs. Personally I wouldn't bother with a 16G, but that's just me.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #13
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
Yea me either, a 16g is not a big step up at all from a 14b. if your going to upgrade and you have all the basic mods like a FMIC and some fuel mods Id go for something bigger than a 16, but then you want spool up so...

I just wouldnt advize going from a 14b to a 16g. Although they are dirt cheap now.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #14
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally posted by DSMStyle@Jan 19 2004, 11:47 PM
With the 16G you will need an install kit and if it's not gonan be the drag car I say intstall kit and a 14B.* A few guys with 2Gs have done this and it's a big improvement over the T25.*

Otherwise get a T28 if you go new.* YOu can send your core in and get a T28 for 700ish or maybe a bit more.* For a 16G you will spend minimum $500 on the turbo and $200 ish on the install kit.* This is if you go new in all areas.

We can help ya out or give Elite a buzz and see what they can do as well.* But I'd have to suggest going the 14B used for $150ish and an install kit.
I already have a 14b in, and I'm not too impressed, I'm still running stock boost levels though
Old 01-20-2004   #15
Iceman

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX+Jan 20 2004, 12:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LightningGSX @ Jan 20 2004, 12:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DSMStyle@Jan 19 2004, 11:47 PM
With the 16G you will need an install kit and if it's not gonan be the drag car I say intstall kit and a 14B.* A few guys with 2Gs have done this and it's a big improvement over the T25.*

Otherwise get a T28 if you go new.* YOu can send your core in and get a T28 for 700ish or maybe a bit more.* For a 16G you will spend minimum $500 on the turbo and $200 ish on the install kit.* This is if you go new in all areas.

We can help ya out or give Elite a buzz and see what they can do as well.* But I'd have to suggest going the 14B used for $150ish and an install kit.
I already have a 14b in, and I'm not too impressed, I'm still running stock boost levels though [/b][/quote]
Evo 16g sounds good to me, i mean it would be cheaper than going a 18g (crap) or a 20g.

evo B16g gets my vote.
Old 01-20-2004   #16
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Whats the lag on the evo16g's like?
Old 01-20-2004   #17
Iceman

Quote:
Originally posted by LightningGSX@Jan 20 2004, 12:50 AM
Whats the lag on the evo16g's like?
I personally have never owned or drvin in a car with one. There is lag i bet just not much compared to like a 20g or whatever. Personally i think it would be a great daily driver and if i was in your shoes i would go with the Evo B16g.

Just my 2 psi but i would get the opinon of someone with it on there car or has had it.
Old 01-20-2004   #18
Dutch_DSM

Tournaments Won: 6

I've installed a evo 16g with the evo o2 housing on my 2G.

compared to the t25 it was a huge difference.
Lag is just a bit more but I must add I also installed a supra mk4 IC and all 2,5" IC piping

The biggest difference I noticed it holds boost all the way upto the redline (even when running 20 psi)
Old 01-20-2004   #19
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
The EVO 16g is a big 16g with slightly thinner blades and a different turbine housing (and it is lighter). Basically a B16g that weighs 6 lbs less and will flow better on the exhaust side. I would guess just a hair more lag than a B16g, but not much. It would also get my vote for turbo of choice in your situation.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #20
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Well here's a break down of the a few to the turbo's mentioned:

14B 33lbs/min
16G 36lbs/min
B16G 38lbs/min
Evo16G 42lbs/min (not 100% sure but the guy from AGP posted this on GVR4.org, I can't find right now though. Also AJ has said FP would rebuild a dead 16G to flow what an 18G flows, 18G's flow 41 or 42 lbs/min. Just adding some speculation.)